John Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

BroadwayJay*

I still think that a Europe vs North America format would be best. I know they tried it before which means they likely never will again but IMO if done right, this can be very cool. And to be honest, I'd rather watch that than Team Leftover Europe vs Team North American Young Gunz which is what we'll see in the next "World Cup."

Maybe do two games in 2 different cities? Take the aggregate score to determine winner? Or maybe do it in Europe some years? Again, if done right, I think this can be a big event not unlike the Ryder Cup.

Ryder Cup is awesome. Anything that copies that idea is a good idea.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Ryder Cup is awesome. Anything that copies that idea is a good idea.

We're getting off topic here but here's what they should do.

The All-Star Break should just be a skills competition, no game. Have concerts, events, an old-timers game, red carpet and all the hoopla. But scrap the game. No one cares.

The "World Cup" concept they are trying to resurrect should be North America vs Europe. And it can be the real NHL "allstar" showcase event. Have each team select a coach and GM and have them scout throughout the year. NHL players only. Five game travelling tournament. One game each in:

NYC
Toronto
Moscow
Stockholm
Prague

I think it would generate some serious and real competition. And the hockey would be amazing.

BroadwayJay*

We're getting off topic here but here's what they should do.

The All-Star Break should just be a skills competition, no game. Have concerts, events, an old-timers game, red carpet and all the hoopla. But scrap the game. No one cares.

The "World Cup" concept they are trying to resurrect should be North America vs Europe. And it can be the real NHL "allstar" showcase event. Have each team select a coach and GM and have them scout throughout the year. NHL players only. Five game travelling tournament. One game each in:

NYC
Toronto
Moscow
Stockholm
Prague

I think it would generate some serious and real competition. And the hockey would be amazing.

Forget NA v. EUR, how about a series of 3 on 3 teams from various countries: USA, FIN, LAT, CAN, SWE, CZE... etc...

Everything else exactly as described but one of the events is a 10 minute 3 on 3. I think that would be OUTSTANDING. Except the teams are national, or even some national and some provinces or states, etc...

We're spitballing here.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Winter Classic ratings this past year at their lowest, they might want to think about turning that into an All-Star weekend festival that involves, small, short, meanlingless pond hockey type games and events like concerts, etc.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
With Winter Classic ratings this past year at their lowest, they might want to think about turning that into an All-Star weekend festival that involves, small, short, meanlingless pond hockey type games and events like concerts, etc.

The winter classic has run it's course. The novelty is gone and it has been further watered down by the stadium series.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The winter classic has run it's course. The novelty is gone and it has been further watered down by the stadium series.

They haven't played a game on the North Pole yet, so there is still some market room to squeeze out. They could make it between Putin's Patriots and the NA BBQers. Winner takes all gas and mineral rights.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would anyone actually consider trying him on the wing? If anything, I'd just be curious to see him being set up by Barzal and flanked by like Lee or Nelson.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Would anyone actually consider trying him on the wing? If anything, I'd just be curious to see him being set up by Barzal and flanked by like Lee or Nelson.

Or Barzal could become his playmaking wing ala St. Louis. I don't know, is Barzal a purer center? Do we even know yet?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
John Tavares checked out and left town 25 games ago.

He left his uni and a JT face mask in the possession of Jon Sim.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Would be cool to see him scratched.

There was an article where it was asked if the room is too buddy buddy to call someone out last year but they finally did. Wonder if that is happening now?

Would anyone ever call out JT for something like complaining to the refs too much or something.

Read in another article Hartnell called out Jagr one practice, said to work harder. Jagr first went to ask Hartnell who the hell he thinks he's talking to but then realized he was right and then did.

We could use a Hartnell.

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Would be cool to see him scratched.

There was an article where it was asked if the room is too buddy buddy to call someone out last year but they finally did. Wonder if that is happening now?

Would anyone ever call out JT for something like complaining to the refs too much or something.

Read in another article Hartnell called out Jagr one practice, said to work harder. Jagr first went to ask Hartnell who the hell he thinks he's talking to but then realized he was right and then did.

We could use a Hartnell.

An NHL coach would be nice too...

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
He's not excused from criticism, but people are getting carried away.

He's having a down season, like basically everyone else on this team.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
He's not excused from criticism, but people are getting carried away.

He's having a down season, like basically everyone else on this team.

This. He's hit a speedbump, but he's still the only star player we've had in the past 2 decades or so. Anybody who "calls him out" should be benched. Period.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
And his average shift length is still around 54 seconds - second only to Ovi for forwards, and something around 8th overall including all defensemen.

Start with a new coach who actually reigns this behavior in, and get him at least one linemate who is real 1st line material.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
And his average shift length is still around 54 seconds - second only to Ovi for forwards, and something around 8th overall including all defensemen.

Start with a new coach who actually reigns this behavior in, and get him at least one linemate who is real 1st line material.

Maybe Brian Compton can coach this team. He always knows better than everybody!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
The Isles have a glut of centers. They should have JT play RW for a while until he finds his game and the Isles can use more scoring. Tell him to get his butt to side of the net and stay there. Grab, Nelson, Nielsen- any one of these guys to feed him and get his confidence back up. I'm not impressed with his defensive game right now to keep him at center.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
JT is a center not a winger, he was a center for Canada, he is dam wel gonna stay center for the islanders. He needs to find his game, I think the system they are playing right now is a big problem with not only JTs game. Many of the forwards are struggling this year. The defensive system has been better, but as a result the transition game is struggling. I've also noticed JT making some good plays only to have his teammates not quick enough to react.

JT has been hot garbage this year, but I don't think it all falls on his shoulders.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Maybe Brian Compton can coach this team. He always knows better than everybody!

Compton has normally been an organization-apologist. His recent criticism of the team is out of character so I don't really trust it.

The only critical voices for this club are the bloggers and these boards.

Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad