John Tavares vs Erik Karlsson

Which contract has better value?

• Total voters

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
.5 million is not the difference between Karlsson and Tavares

Karlsson by quite the margin, pretty sure every team takes him over Tavares. Karlsson can carry a medicore in the playoffs, Tavares has never shown that in his career.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah I've been pretty vocal about his injuries and risk but give me Karlsson every day of the week

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

Karlsson by quite the margin, pretty sure every team takes him over Tavares. Karlsson can carry a medicore in the playoffs, Tavares has never shown that in his career.

Oh come on. JT did show that, there is no 1 player who carries a team. Karlsson going deep with Ottawa had as much to do with their goalie playing great, and having guys like Stone and Turris on the team playing at a high level.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Both guys are great players that were paid probably a little too much. I'll take Karlsson because I think he's a bigger game changer who can drive offense with less help, where as Tavares benefits greatly from having Marner on his wing.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Karlsson. One of the only true game changers in the NHL. Add him to your team (barring some sucky bottom-feeder team) and you're automatically not only a cup contender, but likely a top cup contender.

I really like Tavares and i think he's a fantastic player to build around, and i expect him to be consistent and age well - but Karlsson when at his best is simply a level up.

Karlsson might be a bit riskier with all of his recent health concerns - but assuming you get 3-5 years of Karlsson in top form i think the contract is totally worth it, even if it means he has issues in the last few years because of health. I think San Jose having Karlsson for the next 8 years will almost surely win a cup now - i'd be shocked if they don't.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Karlsson is easily the better player but it's a riskier deal due to health concerns. I would probably go conservative and take Tavares because you're still getting an elite player with less risk, but this could go either way
This is a reasonable answer. The term difference favors JT in 5 years to.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Karlsson's injuries, especially these latest ones, scare me a bit with that term. If we're assuming a near-healthy Karlsson for most of that contract, then him by a long shot. Bigger impact player than Tavares.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yeah I've been pretty vocal about his injuries and risk but give me Karlsson every day of the week

Yeah. This.
If you can get Karlsson at like 85% or better, he's still one of the top 3 Dmen on the planet.

You can get 115% of Tavares, and he still wouldn't be among the top 3 forwards in the league.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Though Karlsson is the better player, it's Tavares for me. His skillset isn't one that will go away with age; plus, I can count on him to be on the ice.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Karlsson is easily the better player but it's a riskier deal due to health concerns. I would probably go conservative and take Tavares because you're still getting an elite player with less risk, but this could go either way

This is more or less exactly where I am too. Usually, I'm a "go big or go home" type of guy and would rather bet on the greater risk/greater reward, but Karlsson doesn't look quite the same as he did in 2016 (when he looked like he might be heading towards a Conn Smythe), and once you add in those two extra years at the slightly higher rate, I feel that Tavares is the slightly better play. And as you say, it can easily go either way.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Karlsson. One of the only true game changers in the NHL. Add him to your team (barring some sucky bottom-feeder team) and you're automatically not only a cup contender, but likely a top cup contender.

I really like Tavares and i think he's a fantastic player to build around, and i expect him to be consistent and age well - but Karlsson when at his best is simply a level up.

Karlsson might be a bit riskier with all of his recent health concerns - but assuming you get 3-5 years of Karlsson in top form i think the contract is totally worth it, even if it means he has issues in the last few years because of health. I think San Jose having Karlsson for the next 8 years will almost surely win a cup now - i'd be shocked if they don't.

Ottawa was never a top cup contender

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I wouldn't bet on either contract aging well to be honest. Karlsson is better and more impactful, but too many health concerns for me to take him for more salary and term here

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019

Wrong. Tavares has shown that three times in his career

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
The fact the poll is 50/50 is proof that its JT when you factor in everyone's Leaf hate :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad