John Tavares sets a new franchise record

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
eh i think (or at least hope) Leafs fans wont be such babies about it. Its a business and if all else is equal (salary and term) some players decide home is the best option who can blame them, Matthews wasn't 10 years old dreaming of playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs. I bet the islanders organization wishes they'd play the leafs 82 games a season its the only way they sell their ****ty arenas out. Imagine hating a player more than loving your team

Leafs have a lot of fans.

All kinds of fans.

Yes, there will be spiteful, babies when he leaves.

Blueboy

Apr 15, 2019
I guess we will have a chance to imagine that in 4 years.... if the Coyotes don’t fold or relocate.

71s15S3VFGL._AC_SY606_.jpg
Matthews loses so much money going to Arizona. They are an obscure team, can’t offer the same pay/quality of life/sponsorship opportunities.

Not to mention he doesn’t have any kids or fiancée/wife to consider. You think Auston goes to Arizona for less money just so he is closer to mommy?

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
Matthews wasn't 10 years old dreaming of playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs

SO IMPORTANT.
I didn't play pro hockey, not minor pro, (a cup of coffee in junior), but, grew up in a small town in Western Canada, and DEFINITELY did dream about playing for the local senior hockey team, as well as in the NHL of course. When it's was clear I wasn't going to be pro, WELL, WOW, playing for my hometown team was kind of a dream realized.

edit: if you dreamt about the NHL and your hometown team is an NHL team as well, well, what can you say .....

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Matthews loses so much money going to Arizona. They are an obscure team, can’t offer the same pay/quality of life/sponsorship opportunities.

Not to mention he doesn’t have any kids or fiancée/wife to consider. You think Auston goes to Arizona for less money just so he is closer to mommy?

Superstar endorsement deals don’t really focus on where a player plays.

Stamkos was one of the highest paid endorsers and he played in Tampa. McDavid plays in Edmonton.

Similarly local deals just aren’t that lucrative. The Jays’ Bautista and Boosterjuice as an example.

If you are good... the Nikes of the world will find you.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Superstar endorsement deals don’t really focus on where a player plays.

Stamkos was one of the highest paid endorsers and he played in Tampa. McDavid plays in Edmonton.

Similarly local deals just aren’t that lucrative. The Jays’ Bautista and Boosterjuice as an example.

If you are good... the Nikes of the world will find you.

Not true. He's never been one of the highest paid endorsers. Especially in the last 5 years. He had few deals early in his career when he his first overall status was still a draw. But tell me...when was the last time you saw his face in a national ad campaign, in the US or Canada? Playing in Tampa has made him WAY less of a draw than Crosby, McDavid, or Ovi...MacKinnon, too.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not true. He's never been one of the highest paid endorsers. Especially in the last 5 years.

Forbes #5 2015-2016

#5 Steven Stamkos

Forbes #9 2017-2018

The NHL's Highest-Paid Players 2017-18

He had few deals early in his career when he his first overall status was still a draw. But tell me...when was the last time you saw his face in a national ad campaign, in the US or Canada? Playing in Tampa has made him WAY less of a draw than Crosby, McDavid, or Ovi...MacKinnon, too.

Playing in Edmonton made McDavid a draw?

C’mon man.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Hockey players don’t get endorsements deals like Euro Soccer or NBA or NFL, heck not even the MLB.
The difference between say a team like the Yokes and Leafs is down to hard ware. Like facilities and staffs offered by Leafs Vs offered by Yokes. Leafs can offer private jets for players families to fly in and out for games, doubt Yokes can do that.
It is not hard to imagine the Leafs club house are much nicer than the Yokes.
The other difference is spotlight. As much as players kept saying stuff like they want to be left alone....most of them like the spotlights and want the spotlights.
Finally it will be down to money and success.
If both teams are winning and Leafs can offer the 8th yr.
at the end of the day, it is too early to say anything for now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
How did this topic turn into becoming about Matthews endorsements? I know that's because of some Islanders fan asking if we wanted a signed Tavares jersey and those posts got moved onto here, however now it seems way off topic.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why are people so convinced Matthews will leave as a UFA in 4 years to go to Arizona? because it's home? fantastic that doesn't mean shit and I know what people are going to say

"Well Tavares came home." he sure f***ing do you know why?

Because we had an established core of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen and Kadri do you think he comes home without that core established and in place?

No and do you know how you know that?

Because if going home meant jack shit Tavares wouldn't be here because Stamkos would be.

He's not, why? because that same core that lured Tavares had not been established in 2016.

We didn't know what Matthews, Marner and Nylander were, or even Hyman, Kapanen and Johnsson.

Where is Arizona's Marner, Nylander,Rielly? sure you can say OEL but he will be washed up in 4 years or close to it.

Hell where is their Hyman Kapanen and Johnsson?

Where is the supporting cast, what are you going to do intice him with Davorak and Keller?

The core isn't there plus they haven't made the playoffs since 2013?

Come on

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He was an All-Star in the old NHL. I wonder if he would ever have been able to keep up with the speed of today’s game in his prime.

He couldn't keep up with the speed of the game in his own time. He was strange to watch because of how he managed to produce while being a laughable slug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad