John Tavares responds to Lou Lamoriello's comments about him not winning with the Islanders

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
yeah but none of those guys are even close to the level of a Tavares.

I honestly think if Tavares had thought a little bit harder before tweeting the now infamous pyjama pic, things might be a bit different.

He didn't mean anything malicious by it, but clearly he didn't grasp what should be fairly obvious to anyone with common sense -- what that tweet would look like in the context of the 77 page research book on UFA destinations and months of non-commital remarks on his future.

What’s important is he’s speaking to Leafs Nation with that photo. Who cares about Long Island?

Reactions: Brown Dog

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I believe it was Lou that said NY approached Shanny about talking to him to take over the team while we were in the playoffs and then shortly after . For all we know LL decided to step down as our GM and was actually working for NY when he first spoke to JT and the meeting wasn't supposed to be leaked .

I found it strange that Shanny said no one was forcing him to make a GM change and maybe he was thinking about the change and NY asking about LL made it easy for him to slide him out . Or maybe he wanted Lou to stay for one more year and then promote Dubas .

lol , lots of tin foil hat stuff on my part but the thing that i do know and agree with you is that i have no idea how LL was allowed to speak to JT on NY's behalf if he was actually still employed by us
Did Lou actually say the Islanders were interested in him when the Leafs were in the playoffs? It's the first time I have heard that and it seems weird he would let that slip out given that he never tells the media anything especially something like that. I know his contract was up as Leafs GM and let's remember it was stipulated that once it was he would become a Senior Advisor for 4 years. So like Shanahan said the Leafs were following a planned timeline, although maybe he also didn't want to risk losing Kyle Dubas and that made things easier to not extend Lou as the GM.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Not surprised about Lou being a bit salty/sour grapes on this.

He probably took that job with visions of him scooping his old team and the snotnosed kid who deposed him by locking up Tavares. Remember the stink made about Lou making contact with JT seemingly before he should have?

The Loufather lost on this one. And no matter what he says about it publically, it stings.

I dunno... He did help us by picking up Leo and Martin hahahaha

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Which would be easier for a fan-base to move on from:

1. John Tavares leaving the Islanders with nothing - after carrying a bottom 5 team on his back for a decade.

2. Patty Kane leaving the Blackhawks with a 1st + 1st + 2nd - after bringing them 3 cups in the last decade.

Lou might want to check back into reality.

Komarov, Martin, Hickey, Mayfield & Johnston ain't helping nobody move on from Tavares.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
It's sad the Isles were once a winning and proud organization(Bossy, Trottier, Goring, Smith, ect) and then all goes to crap for a very long time.
Sounds rather familiar.

Azazel

Jan 2, 2016
Lou probably admires Tavares response, despite Lou realizing he was being passive aggressive mentioning winning championships. It was a subtle shot. IT could have ignited an emotional response from certain players. Tavares answer was perfect, captain material type of answer.

I have to agree as my knee-jerk response is "Well I guess Lou's lack of a championship with the Leafs should make it easy to move on from him as well."
Explains why im not a captain, or in sports.

(No ill will towards Lou as it was a response to a question)

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have to agree as my knee-jerk response is "Well I guess Lou's lack of a championship with the Leafs should make it easy to move on from him as well."
Explains why im not a captain, or in sports.

(No ill will towards Lou as it was a response to a question)
As I said before while it would have been nice to see Tavares respond like that, he has a lot more class not to.

Let's also remember Lou made those comments this past July how he hates the week UFA gets to talk with other teams, so that was another shot at Tavares.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
To be fair a lot of the Toronto media was horrible to Kessel, especially during his final season with the Leafs. Since Tavares grew up in Oakville and was a Leafs fan he knows what the media is like.

They put Kessel in a leadership role and he just doesn't do well there

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
well it's camp so yah there's some "story-lizing" going on don't get me wrong and the gist of that comment was more likely a call to arms for the team of "no hanging your head, we're gonna kick some butt, let's not think about tavares anymore." but Lou isn't some greenhorn. he could have totally articulated a rally cry, that didn't seem to spit on Tavares. that comment (to me) basically read. "Well why would we miss him, he didn't win anything here, there's no loss."

and it's just that considering that lou from before he even worked for the Islanders was trying to get him signed, complained that he had to work in the same rules as everyone else for interviewing with John, to do these little snipes now just seems petty on his side, and this is coming from someone who really does respect Lou for the most part.

i said it in the tavares thread - there were countless ways for him to say what he said without kicking Tavares, and as Pi said -Tavares is a better person than me because I flat out would have said, "we probably would have won something had Snow not traded every single person and figured out the goaltending in nine years." (but a lot more rudely).

I couldn't get to the third page of this thread, because there aren't enough likes for this comment (ie, I 100% agree). In the end, as much as we true hockey fans respect Lou and all he's been and done . . . it's a bitter snipe/jab whatever you want to call it, and like Daisy said . . . Johnny T is a better man than me! (paraphrased in grammatically incorrect english to get the rhyming scheme correct :laugh: )

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
yeah but none of those guys are even close to the level of a Tavares.

I honestly think if Tavares had thought a little bit harder before tweeting the now infamous pyjama pic, things might be a bit different.

He didn't mean anything malicious by it, but clearly he didn't grasp what should be fairly obvious to anyone with common sense -- what that tweet would look like in the context of the 77 page research book on UFA destinations and months of non-commital remarks on his future.

Let me fix this part for you . . .

"He didn't mean anything malicious by it, but clearly he didn't grasp what should be fairly obvious to anyone with common sense -- what that tweet would look like to ignorant Isles fans in the context of the 77 page research book on UFA destinations and months of non-commital remarks on his future."

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
No. Lou was talking to Islander fans, about moving on. If anything, it was a dig at previous management, not JT. Tavares did the same: "I did my best, but with no help".

Reactions: Joey Hoser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad