John Tavares responds to Lou Lamoriello's comments about him not winning with the Islanders

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I bet if they traded for Andersen he would still be playing there, they have failed to find/draft/develope not a single goalie that’s #1 for a whole 9 years.
they traded for halak in 2014. he came in and gave the team #1 goaltending for their best two seasons in tavares' tenure as an isle

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Tavares has a good response but Lou’s comments never should have been blown out proportion.

He’s not subtle if he was calling out Tavares he would have.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Tavares has a good response but Lou’s comments never should have been blown out proportion.

He’s not subtle if he was calling out Tavares he would have.

i personally don't think they were, but i know some people around here were banging the "poor sensitive Leafs fan" drum. i just think there are people who wouldn't have said anything at al, or they would have articulated it better. Considering it's Lou, I personally feel it was a jab, and a unnecessary one at that.

As much as I loathe Brian Burke, the one thing he never did was throw former management or players under the bus publicly unless it's Bobby Ryan and that's when that ESPN reporter took his comments in the team USA team meeting public.

Lou has been doing little snipes at Tavares for a bit now.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
i personally don't think they were, but i know some people around here were banging the "poor sensitive Leafs fan" drum. i just think there are people who wouldn't have said anything at al, or they would have articulated it better. Considering it's Lou, I personally feel it was a jab, and a unnecessary one at that.

As much as I loathe Brian Burke, the one thing he never did was throw former management or players under the bus publicly unless it's Bobby Ryan and that's when that ESPN reporter took his comments in the team USA team meeting public.

It’s possible, it jut feels like people wanting a story out of nothing.

Totally agree about Burke, he seems like a much better person as long as he’s not GM.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Like I said before when Zach Parise left the Devils as a UFA you didn't hear Lou mention how he never won a Stanley Cup with them. Plus from the time the Islanders hired Lou to the day Tavares signed with the Leafs, he was only working for them for 40 days. Tavares was with the Islanders for 9 years and didn't owe Lou anything. If anything I think Lou is upset that Dubas replaced him as the Leafs GM, because look how fast he left to work for the Islanders and Tavares choose Dubas over him instead.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On the Islanders board someone posted Tavares comments and they left out one important detail. They said why would Tavares even bother talking about them? Maybe it's because Lou was first asked the question a few days ago about Tavares leaving and all Tavares did today was respond when asked about it.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
On the Islanders board someone posted Tavares comments and they left out one important detail. They said why would Tavares even bother talking about them? Maybe it's because Lou was first asked the question a few days ago about Tavares leaving and all Tavares did today was respond when asked about it.

I feel bad for the Islanders board, it’s painfully obvious what the TWS is doing there.

They’re hurting and he’s definitely taken advantage to continue his absolutely insane crusade against the Leafs.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Totally agree about Burke, he seems like a much better person as long as he’s not GM.

well it's camp so yah there's some "story-lizing" going on don't get me wrong and the gist of that comment was more likely a call to arms for the team of "no hanging your head, we're gonna kick some butt, let's not think about tavares anymore." but Lou isn't some greenhorn. he could have totally articulated a rally cry, that didn't seem to spit on Tavares. that comment (to me) basically read. "Well why would we miss him, he didn't win anything here, there's no loss."

and it's just that considering that lou from before he even worked for the Islanders was trying to get him signed, complained that he had to work in the same rules as everyone else for interviewing with John, to do these little snipes now just seems petty on his side, and this is coming from someone who really does respect Lou for the most part.

i said it in the tavares thread - there were countless ways for him to say what he said without kicking Tavares, and as Pi said -Tavares is a better person than me because I flat out would have said, "we probably would have won something had Snow not traded every single person and figured out the goaltending in nine years." (but a lot more rudely).

Reactions: slozo

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I forgot to mention there was also Lou's comment from July 9, 2018 where he mentions not liking the window of interviews UFA's now get. Funny how he says that after losing Tavares to his former team, yet he didn't say anything negative about it when he got to talk with Steven Stamkos prior to July 1, 2016 and he choose to re-sign with Tampa Bay.

“I was extremely disappointed with the window of interviews; that was not the intention of how the league and union intended it,” said Lamoriello, declining to go into further details as to what irked him about the process. “I was very disappointed with the way the process was. I’ve never seen it like this one.”

Lamoriello excited about Isles’ future home at Belmont

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I feel bad for the Islanders board, it’s painfully obvious what the TWS is doing there.

They’re hurting and he’s definitely taken advantage to continue his absolutely insane crusade against the Leafs.

my dream final is Leafs vs. Winnipeg and we win, just to see him squirm.
it would make my heart grow three sizes that day.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

So far he has not responded to this topic on their board, however I agree it is obvious what he's doing and it's really pathetic.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
well it's camp so yah there's some "story-lizing" going on don't get me wrong and the gist of that comment was more likely a call to arms for the team of "no hanging your head, we're gonna kick some butt, let's not think about tavares anymore." but Lou isn't some greenhorn. he could have totally articulated a rally cry, that didn't seem to spit on Tavares. that comment (to me) basically read. "Well why would we miss him, he didn't win anything here, there's no loss."

and it's just that considering that lou from before he even worked for the Islanders was trying to get him signed, complained that he had to work in the same rules as everyone else for interviewing with John, to do these little snipes now just seems petty on his side, and this is coming from someone who really does respect Lou for the most part.

i said it in the tavares thread - there were countless ways for him to say what he said without kicking Tavares, and as Pi said -Tavares is a better person than me because I flat out would have said, "we probably would have won something had Snow not traded every single person and figured out the goaltending in nine years." (but a lot more rudely).
The fact that Lou meet with Tavares before officially being hired by them when he was under contract to the Leafs as a Senior Advisor is something I will never understand how that could happen. However I guess you can say karma was on the Leafs side since Tavares didn't re-sign with them.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
This was apparently Lou's original quote before the media twisted it around. Doesn't seem like anything to fuss about and I don't think Tavares should have even responded to it.

"They haven’t done much — and I don’t say that with any disrespect. Haven’t been to the playoffs the last couple years. Things haven’t worked out the way everybody would have liked them to, from what my understanding is. So an aftermath? There's no such thing in my mind. What the players we have here should be thinking about is not making the playoffs last year, and that’s what the goal should be. Teams win, not players. Individual players win some games, but teams win championships. And that’s what we have to create."

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This entire thing feels like a misrepresentation of what Lou said.
If Lou had just given one of his typical responses like he does not want to talk about players under contract to other teams, something Brian Burke would have said or just said I only want to focus on the current Islanders players only, none of this would have happened.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
The fact that Lou meet with Tavares before officially being hired by them when he was under contract to the Leafs as a Senior Advisor is something I will never understand how that could happen. However I guess you can say karma was on the Leafs side since Tavares didn't re-sign with them.
I believe it was Lou that said NY approached Shanny about talking to him to take over the team while we were in the playoffs and then shortly after . For all we know LL decided to step down as our GM and was actually working for NY when he first spoke to JT and the meeting wasn't supposed to be leaked .

I found it strange that Shanny said no one was forcing him to make a GM change and maybe he was thinking about the change and NY asking about LL made it easy for him to slide him out . Or maybe he wanted Lou to stay for one more year and then promote Dubas .

lol , lots of tin foil hat stuff on my part but the thing that i do know and agree with you is that i have no idea how LL was allowed to speak to JT on NY's behalf if he was actually still employed by us

Last edited:

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
If Lou had just given one of his typical responses like he does not want to talk about players under contract to other teams, something Brian Burke would have said or just said I only want to focus on the current Islanders players only, none of this would have happened.

It's basically Lou doing his whole "one player does not make a team" spiel and saying that the Isles can't let themselves be concerned about losing one player, they need to think about the crest on the front, etc, etc. Basically saying "put it out of your minds and focus on what's ahead".

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I don't think Lou was calling out JT.

He was talking to Islander fans, and just saying that moving on would have been harder if the team, with JT, had achieved more.

JT was agreeing with him.

If anything, JT was calling out previous management, for not giving him a better team to lead.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lou probably admires Tavares response, despite Lou realizing he was being passive aggressive mentioning winning championships. It was a subtle shot. IT could have ignited an emotional response from certain players. Tavares answer was perfect, captain material type of answer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It’s funny to think that Isles fans and the organization are so salty about Tavares walking out on them but who hasn’t? Okposo, Martin, de Haan, Blake, Nielsen, etc. all left too.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Is it just me, I didn't think Lou's comments were all that bad. It was also clearly a response to a direct question so this is all just bullshit.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It’s funny to think that Isles fans and the organization are so salty about Tavares walking out on them but who hasn’t? Okposo, Martin, de Haan, Blake, Nielsen, etc. all left too.

yeah but none of those guys are even close to the level of a Tavares.

I honestly think if Tavares had thought a little bit harder before tweeting the now infamous pyjama pic, things might be a bit different.

He didn't mean anything malicious by it, but clearly he didn't grasp what should be fairly obvious to anyone with common sense -- what that tweet would look like in the context of the 77 page research book on UFA destinations and months of non-commital remarks on his future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad