Player Discussion: John Tavares- Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
It looks like JT is going to leverage his contract deadline and force Garth Snow to make moves that are satisfactory to him before he re-signs here.

Garf, you're on the clock.

I hope JT has high standards. I feel he has been subject to playing with the Boyes and Moulsons that any "name" we bring in will suffice.

Regardless of what Eberle brings production wise, we should not be content if he is the primary guy brought in to solve our problems.

He is skilled, but somewhat redundant on our roster. Maybe Bailey is plucked from us by Vegas and Eberle is brought in as a stop gap , that would make sense.

But the discussion of Duchene OR Panarin OR Eberle sound strange to me... 1 is not like the other 2

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It looks like JT is going to leverage his contract deadline and force Garth Snow to make moves that are satisfactory to him before he re-signs here.

Hasn't this been rumored for months though?

Not sure how people are spinning this as bad news.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hasn't this been rumored for months though?

Not sure how people are spinning this as bad news.

Many people think that if JT isn't signed by July 1st, it will be an indication that Tavares isn't totally committed to being an Islander, and Snow should/will try to trade him rather than have his walk year become a distraction.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The good news is that perhaps Snow finally has some accountability. JT has grabbed the clipboard again.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

I would argue this is more Brisson than JT. These all sound like an agent protecting his player as a PR move for future business vs. JT in particular.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would argue this is more Brisson than JT. These all sound like an agent protecting his player as a PR move for future business vs. JT in particular.

Completely could be this. And if so that would be good news across the board. Someone has to hold snow at least somewhat accountable since the current owners don't seem to be doing it.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Snows going to panic and trade for Eberle.

...Or trade Barzal for Duchene.

...Or any number of horrid moves a GM under pressure could make.

This is why Ledecky/Malkin should have sacked this guy before it came to this. You don't want your GM making moves out of desperation.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island

This is why Ledecky/Malkin should have sacked this guy before it came to this. You don't want your GM making moves out of desperation.
I don't think Snow is going to panic or do something that will hurt the future of this team in the sense of the move being made out jest.

I do think we wont get Duchene, but ultimately Eberle for a lesser price and easier to sell to fans that he infact made a move without mortgaging the future.

gramatanboy

Aug 2, 2005
Westport

100% Correct!! Trading in desperation only exacerbates a bad situation and unfortunately this might well happen with Snow. i guess we will know in a little over two weeks if not sooner.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County

BorzNYI

Mar 27, 2012
Staple's latest article is on the challenges ahead of the Islanders this offseason

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/islanders-face-decisions-for-expansion-draft-free-agency-nhl-draft-1.13715900

I highlight this part of the article which I believe to be some new language here on JT91:

"The Islanders captain still has one year left on his contract and sources outside the Islanders have been consistent the past few weeks in saying they believe Tavares will agree to an extension with the team."

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
The Isles will make all their noise before July 1 on reshaping the roster. Somewhere after that JT will resign.

The Isles are going to milk this resigning folks as it's important statement. It's not going to be on July 1,2, or 3 bc those days will be cluttered with UFA 'frenzy' news.

Isles will want the limelight in NY and Canada with him resigning so I would expect midweek July 5,6,7.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
The Isles will make all their noise before July 1 on reshaping the roster. Somewhere after that JT will resign.

The Isles are going to milk this resigning folks as it's important statement. It's not going to be on July 1,2, or 3 bc those days will be cluttered with UFA 'frenzy' news.

Isles will want the limelight in NY and Canada with him resigning so I would expect midweek July 5,6,7.

At first I agreed with this...but if the Isles do want any FA worth while then they will announce it asap. I'd that any decent FA would sign here without knowing JT is staying.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
The article doesn't really say much. The Islanders are involved in potential trade talks like everyone else which we all assumed anyway.

They will need to move salary. If they can do that, we have some strong potential partners. The only ones I want for now are Duchene or Drouin.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Its doubtful the Isles will be in the UFA market - they are going the trade route.

sure, for the most part, trading is a better option. but i would be very disappointed if Snow were not looking at ALL options.

he should be feeling so desperate right now, that he would contemplate cloning as an option...

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
sure, for the most part, trading is a better option. but i would be very disappointed if Snow were not looking at ALL options.

he should be feeling so desperate right now, that he would contemplate cloning as an option...
One would assume he is - he's been in the UFA market the past couple seasons.

However, there's much ado about nothing in the UFA market besides overpriced long term cap hits (isles fans love to complain about Ladd, Kulemin, grabo, etc...) and depth guys.

The team needs to use its strength (assets) to acquire a much needed top tier player.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
If he re-signs I think it'll be toward the end of the season, he weren't even a playoff team last year and I think he wants to win.

JTforPres2012

Feb 12, 2012
If he re-signs I think it'll be toward the end of the season, he weren't even a playoff team last year and I think he wants to win.

Based on the comments made by his agent, it seems like he's obviously had talks with ownership/management about the direction of the team.

I'm sure he wants to wait and see if they actually go out and make a splash through a trade. If not, I would find it hard to believe that JT still feels "comfortable" with the direction of the team.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Meh, these types of signings (resigning a year before UFA) rarely hog the spotlight.

The Victor Hedman signing from last year, for instance, didn't even get 300 replies on the trade forum:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2100589

People go "nice deal, guess I can't have him in UFA" and move right along with their lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad