Sportsnet: John Tavares "kept it real"

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
OK read the article. And was freaked out by one sentence in there. Is it just me or is anybody else having the same feeling?

The sentence being... "He’d host them in his Muskoka cottage"

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Major Changes should have been promoted to General Changes a while ago.
I have little to no faith in the current roster to turn things around and make the fanbase proud. I hope they prove me wrong.

Major changes coming should be the driving force behind the motivation for this next year, with the understanding this will be the reality if this team can't deliver.

Post mortem what went wrong analysis, and what they need to be better next time round has to become proactive and not reactive afterthoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mentat

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I'm gonna go ahead and just be optimistic about the season to come, appreciate that I've got a team to watch that doesn't suck, and hope the can actually be great.

Also, people talking about Shanny being removed? LOL. Maybe Keefe and Dubas is everything goes bad, but I highly doubt Shanny is on any kind of hot seat.[/Q
If he’s not,then he should be.The team has been idling ever since he got there.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It’s nice to see them getting together.

BUT, JT has been here for a few seasons now.

If this is the first time this has happened... that’s odd.

If this isn’t the first time this has happened.... it’s nice but probably meaningless.
I think this might be the first time it happened.
JT won’t host anything in his first year bc he only signed with the Leafs a few months ago.
Then he probably won’t do it in his second season bc he just became a father.
He can’t do it last season bc of COVID.

I don’t think it is weird at all that he didn’t host the past three seasons, if that is the case.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I don't like the results we've seen the past couple of years with their inability to take the next steps, but I think a dramatic regime change isn't what we need right now. We've seen Kyle and Co. go through some growing pains as management staff too, and you'd have to think they've learned something between 2018 and now. It might be a dangerous idea to bring in a new team to perform big mandate changes to a program they're unfamiliar with.

This exactly. Would Dubas of 2018 bring in guys like Simmonds and Gabriel? He's made mistakes. He's learned and improved. His draft picks haven't even had time to come up through the leagues yet but look damn good. Changing GM every 3 years is the wrong move. I still trust Dubas, even if his core fails him he will get it done. I fear the vocal part of our fanbase will get him fired tho.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I’d love to enter one (1) thread and not read the negativity that some feel compelled to post. A reasonable, team event, players only, with possible upside. Naaaa, the Leafs are, Muskoka, will only matter if…for goodness sake, people, give your head a shake and try to enjoy life and the Leafs. It’s not all doom and gloom.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Where do you prefer his cottage to be located?

I think it's fair to say that if you are a multi-millionaire, you work in Toronto, or you are originally from the area and your family is spread around the GTA.....

You're probably gonna get a cottage up in the Muskoka's and it's probably the best place to hang out with a bunch of people like your team mates.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Is this sarcasm? He's the most useless of member of management.

No, it's not.

Were you a fan pre-Shannahan/Tim Liewike? (yeah I butchered the other dudes name)

No Shanny=no superstars on this team. Yeah, we can't get out of the first round, but we have an exciting team to watch in the regular season and maybe they take the next step.

I can't imagine what the Leafs would be like right now if he wasn't hired. We'd probably be absolute shit with no #1c.

But there's no way to know. I just know Shannahan came in and made the Leafs better. It's not his fault COVID came along and destroyed the cap going up massively as it was predicted to do before a freaking pandemic hit.

Reactions: Leafslet

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I think it's fair to say that if you are a multi-millionaire, you work in Toronto, or you are originally from the area and your family is spread around the GTA.....

You're probably gonna get a cottage up in the Muskoka's and it's probably the best place to hang out with a bunch of people like your team mates.
More than fair. Cottages in Muskoka for NHL players has been a thing going back at least 50 years.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No, it's not.

Were you a fan pre-Shannahan/Tim Liewike? (yeah I butchered the other dudes name)

No Shanny=no superstars on this team. Yeah, we can't get out of the first round, but we have an exciting team to watch in the regular season and maybe they take the next step.

I can't imagine what the Leafs would be like right now if he wasn't hired. We'd probably be absolute shit with no #1c.

But there's no way to know. I just know Shannahan came in and made the Leafs better. It's not his fault COVID came along and destroyed the cap going up massively as it was predicted to do before a freaking pandemic hit.
Shanahan did tbe bare minimum and gets allocated the maximum credit.

He cost us Mcdavid/Eichel by the dumb decision to not tank after the disastrous 2014 season. He wanted to compete in 2015 and didn't change gears until half way through. We got fortunate that the scours liked marner and our development team was solid letting us still get a star but if he had done his job right we'd have tanked a year earlier for mcdavid vs 2016 for matthews

Shanahan has constantly given bad takes, asking the players to take pay cuts, referring his time as a player and how the wings players did that.

Shanahan enjoyed MLSE giving approval for a tank job. Us tanking and landing Matthews set the team to be a regular playoff team with the Marlies producing quality depth wingers.

He hasn't been in the spotlight since because he knows he's not capable of managing the team. He hired Lou who did a good job and now Dubas whose done a decent to good job for the most part.

Brendan Shanahan could have been Mats Sundin and it wouldn't have changed anything. He enjoys what others build

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It must be a huge ass cottage if he could gather the entire team , lol .

but hey they “kept it real” whatever that’s supposed to mean

Reactions: egd27

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
No I didn't.

My point is good teams don't need these meetings. Maybe you forgot to read that part.
Lower your expectations...leafs arent a good team and they definitely needs these meetings because they were ass in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad