Sportsnet: John Tavares "kept it real"

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
refresh my memory on thrasymacchus? was he one who argued against socrates during his trials?
He was the dude early in the Republic that argues against Socrates' view that justice is good in-itself.

Basically he argues that there is no "platonic form" of justice, that it doesn't exist outside the minds of men, and that in practical terms, might makes right: "justice is nothing else than the interest of the stronger."

Thucydides' Melian dialogue also rather nicely conveys the same sentiment:

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

The Gaul warlord Brennus put it even simpler to the Romans who complained about their terms of defeat: "woe to the vanquished"

Bringing this back to John Tavares, nothing matters perception wise - what he DOES is what matters. Optics and hindsight are meaningless in the face of brute facts.

I still love Tavares as a player and believe he can be part of a cup winning team. When he is on he has a certain quality that is electric.

But at a certain point when you wear the "C" you cant just be a passenger. He has to do heavy lifting and contribute. Not just as a player, as a leader. He has to be strong for his team. If he is unable to do so in the next couple years, he doesn't deserve leniency from fans or the media. He demanded a big contract that ate a lot of your cap, and if he can't deliver, accountability is to be expected.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
AgreeableFatalFly-max-1mb.gif

How Tavares kept it real

V.s

200 (17).gif

How he should have kept it real with the boys.

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't know if that would go over well in the Toronto market. I think part of the reason JT got the C in the first place was the fact that he was a quiet leader.

Joe Sakic and Mats Sundin were quiet leaders who commanded respect. Don't think Matthews or Marner care what Tavares think. He looks confused and robotic all the time. More like Phaneuf.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
John Tavares doesn’t appear to be a leader at all.

If a guy is branded as a quiet leader and his team has success and they behave a consistent away and they show good work habits and traits, sure there’s your quiet leader. He’s doing great things behind closed doors and you assume it’s all working people are following his lead, emulating his approach, listening to his words of encouragement.

With Tavares he doesn’t even seem like he’s capable of motivating himself to play above a third line level every night. Not sure what kind of example he’s setting.

In a way they are following his lead by playing slow and shitty so maybe he's a better leader than we give him credit for.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I don't know if that would go over well in the Toronto market. I think part of the reason JT got the C in the first place was the fact that he was a quiet leader.

I think of Toews and Crosby (both centers) and I look at their work ethic on ice -> I don't see the same from JT. Add Bergeron to that list or even Kopitar.

All of them face high QoC and take prime difficult minutes while JT takes easy minutes behind Matthews

May be they should start using JT in a match up situation to get him in the game like Babcock did and let Matthews feast on easy competition? :dunno:

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews is the leader of this team, make no mistake. He is the best player and strongest voice.

Matthews should have the C on his jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad