John Tavares has taken that next step.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
That play was very nice. But he gets stopped there 19/20 times. That being said he was all around solid tonight, wasnt great but he wasnt bad which is big. To me he has been a turnover machine on most nights and really quite bad, tonight he wasnt bad at all. Probably helped that Nylander was a monster though.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He's tries that stuff quite often or at least occasionally, but he typically gets stopped by one or all defenders. What's that phrase about a broken clock?

This is coming from a Tavares fan.

Yeah, he’s gotta figure out how to do that on a regular basis for sure. His rushing, puck handling line driving abilities have not been great this year and we can’t afford him to be a Hyman plus grind it out guy with a net front presence and a good shot. He’s got be part of the play.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Great game from JT. He'll put it all together.

It's nice to see him working on other aspects of his game while 5v5 offense and s% is work in progress.

That solo effort to take 3 guys then dish off to Styles, was 4D chess.
i'll take a near ppg C that stays on the right side of +/- against tough competition

over a 100P C running deep - stats

gimme more RoR/Berg/Toew/Cout,,,,,,,,less Kessel

Last edited:
Reactions: Its not your fault

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Great game from JT. He'll put it all together.

It's nice to see him working on other aspects of his game while 5v5 offense and s% is work in progress.

That solo effort to take 3 guys then dish off to Styles, was 4D chess.
This season more than any JT is playing better away from the puck. This team has no problem scoring. The contribution we need of him is in the playoffs. So until then, no need to change a thing. This North race for first is over.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This season more than any JT is playing better away from the puck. This team has no problem scoring. The contribution we need of him is in the playoffs. So until then, no need to change a thing. This North race for first is over.

I think the idea that Tavares needs his Yzerman transformation now and his offense isn't necessary is maybe a nice way of accepting a gentle decline, but what we really need is 2018-19 Tavares firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: definedMF

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If you look at the stats line tonight of a goal and an assist against Ottawa, it kind of looks like Tavares was really leading the charge. But this is one of those games where the stats line is a bit misleading and we really need a lot more 5 on 5 shift to shift.

Reactions: 6ix

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
i watched the replay of our last goal a half dozen times on NHL.com and i still couldn't see how they gave the goal to JT , lol

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
i watched the replay of our last goal a half dozen times on NHL.com and i still couldn't see how they gave the goal to JT , lol

I think he needs it more than Willy Styles...

That said, these are the kind of numbers which still add up for Tavares. 5 months from now in August someone will dig up his near PPG stats and say, “you guys are crazy for criticizing JT91 he gives us prime Mats Sundin numbers, he’s just fine.”

It’s a double edged sword. He can get you production even when he’s not going so he’s finding a way to help the team. But I think the best way to help the team is to actually be in the play 5 on 5 and making crisp, good plays every shift and not look like you’re running up hill on a flat ice surface.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
How many 3rd line centers average 70 points per 82 in a down year?

I think how he gets on the scoreboard is also an issue. For example, he walks out of last nights game with a 1G 1A stats line but it didn’t feel like he was making the impact or a 2 point game. For $11 million you ideally have a premier line driver, but from what we’ve seen he’s not been able to tilt the ice whenever he steps out. His main contribution is a kind of grind it out cycle game, broken plays, capitalize. It’s a start but it’s not enough.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Malkin, Voracek, Svechnikov, Wheeler, Laine and PLD have 3 goals on 5v5 as well while MacKinnon only has 2.

Guess they're all washed.

That would be determined on a case by case basis.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Borderline matchup usage and absolutely crushing it. Only 11 5v5 GA this season. He's been snake-bitten and him and Willy had a bit of a lull in the middle but that pairing is delivering winning hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad