John Tavares first Hattrick as a Toronto Maple Leaf

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I honestly thought that Crosby would have a lot more hat tricks in his career, so I'm happily surprised to see Tavares just 1 behind him.
Yeah. Seguin and Tavares should do some damage to this list. Ovechkin dominates as he does almost any goal statistics.

Wonder if he can get another one this year. Wouldn't be surprised.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah. Seguin and Tavares should do some damage to this list. Ovechkin dominates as he does almost any goal statistics.

Wonder if he can get another one this year. Wouldn't be surprised.
It would not shock me to see Tavares end up with at least one or two more hat tricks before the regular season has finished.

It's too bad Matthews didn't have a chance at the empty net for a hat trick of his own, because when was the last time two Maple Leafs players did that in the same game?

Last edited:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It would not shock me to see Tavares end up with at least one or two hat tricks before the regular season has finished.

It's too bad Matthews didn't have a chance at the empty net for a hat trick of his own, because when was the last time two Maple Leafs players did that in the same game?

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm very surprised by his style of game. I had no idea before he got here that he had such a net front presence.
They said Tavares was playing a lot in front of the net during his most recent years with the Islanders. Plus Babcock asked Tavares during their meeting before he signed where he would like to play on the power play and Tavares said in front of the net.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
They said Tavares was playing a lot in front of the net during his most recent years with the Islanders. Plus Babcock asked Tavares during their meeting before he signed where he would like to play on the power play and Tavares said in front of the net.

Yea, If I remember right I think during an intermission interview tonight he said that he prefers playing in front of the net and working the corners while the talented young guys do their thing

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yea, If I remember right I think during an intermission interview tonight he said that he prefers playing in front of the net and working the corners while the talented young guys do their thing
There was also a graphic shown on Saturday night where each of his 37 goals were scored last season and a lot was in front of the net.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does Tavares break 40 goals this year?
I think he does if he stays healthy, although his overall assist total might drop due to how he is being utilized on our 1st PP compared to how he was used in NYI. He's always been known as having the potential to be an elite scorer, but has been asked to be more of an all-around playmaker with the Isles. With Marner being the guy we like to run our PP and cycle game through at 5v5, it allows JT to use his suburb hockey-sense to get in position for where Marner can find him. JT was actually projected to be a better goalscorer but less of an all-around player than what he actually became. The guy scored 72 goals as a 16 year old in the OHL. It sort of reminds me of Kane's goal-scoring breakout at 28 who went from hitting 30 once, to scoring 46 when he got paired with Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad