Tribute John Tavares appreciation thread

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think he's rebounded in such a way that I have to give him credit for doing so, it looked bad last time, he and Nylander really didn't click 5v5.

In saying that, 11M on a 2nd line centre is just a luxury that I don't think a serious contender can afford. 5.5-7.5M for a 2C would go such a long way to rounding out the roster more.

Reactions: IPS

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I think he's rebounded in such a way that I have to give him credit for doing so, it looked bad last time, he and Nylander really didn't click 5v5.

In saying that, 11M on a 2nd line centre is just a luxury that I don't think a serious contender can afford. 5.5-7.5M for a 2C would go such a long way to rounding out the roster more.
To be fair when Tavares signed in Toronto, wasn't the salary cap expected to be over $90 million at this time? Despite his $11 million AAV if that happened it wouldn't look so bad going forward. No one was expecting a global pandemic to happen and screw up the salary cap of the NHL.

Last edited:

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Tavares is a mistake until he proves he isn’t. It’s on him and time isn’t in his side.

Great player no doubt, but hasn’t moved the needle at all.
Team does well, however the 4th best forward hasn't helped them move a needle. Doesn't seem highly plausible but he hasn't played a part.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Like say a Nazem Kadri type 2C?

Even at his current $7M that extra 4 million would go along ways helping somewhere else. I still think they made a mistake trading him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Even at his current $7M that extra 4 million would go along ways helping somewhere else. I still think they made a mistake trading him.
You seem to forget that Kadri was traded because of his second straight playoff suspension in 2019.

He also got suspended a third time in the 2021 playoffs with Colorado, so you can see why Dubas did what he had to do.

I also don't think what Kadri made with Toronto compared to what he makes now with Calgary is a problem because of the Leafs salary cap. If it was wouldn't Kadri have been traded right away in July 2018 after Tavares signed with the Leafs?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You seem to forget that Kadri was traded because of his second straight playoff suspension in 2019.

He also got suspended a third time in the 2021 playoffs with Colorado, so you can see why Dubas did what he had to do.

I also don't think what Kadri made with Toronto compared to what he makes now with Calgary is a problem because of the Leafs salary cap. If it was wouldn't Kadri have been traded right away in July 2018 after Tavares signed with the Leafs?
He said Kadri type 2C not Kadri himself.

I am assuming Kadri type in terms of impact and caphit instead of the suspension, lol.

For example Bo Horvat and let’s say he signs an extension for 8mil:8yrs plus someone making 4mil or less like Nick Paul. Won’t that be better than JT and his 11mil cap hit and Hunt with his 950k.

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Then stay away until the playoffs? If not, then contribute in a positive way. This is a John Tavares appreciation thread for those who cannot see or understand what that means.
They literally cannot help themselves… their constant whining and complaining is part of who they are.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know it's easy to blame Tavares for what happened in the overtime. However, the Leafs shouldn't have blown a 2-0 lead against Montreal and even been in a situation where they needed to be playing in overtime.
I don't blame Tavares at all. He is what he is.

The person I think is to blame is Keefe. He knows (or should know) how slow JT is, and should have figured out by now that he and Willy just don't mesh.

JT shouldn't be out there in 3-on-3, and especially not with Willy. And did he really have Sandin out with JT too?

I understand, to an extent, wanting to have Tavares out there: captain, big free agent, highest contract ever (at the time of signing), and with the no trade we're stuck with him so let's try to justify it. But it's becoming painfully obvious that, despite all his plusses, he's not suitable for 3-on-3.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
To be fair when Tavares signed in Toronto, wasn't the salary cap expected to be over $90 million at this time? Despite his $11 million AAV if that happened it wouldn't look so bad going forward. No one was expecting a global pandemic to happen and screw up the salary cap of the NHL.

No one could have predicted a global pandemic, in saying that, we all knew the economic landscape and Dubas never pivoted from his vision. We shall see in the playoffs how it goes for him.

A Bo Horvat acquisition and subsequent re-signing for example at 7.5M for 7 years...

Matthews-Horvat-X-Holmberg would be nice. They could find a 3C in the off-season to bridge Minten for 1-2 years.

Jun 27, 2005
No one could have predicted a global pandemic, in saying that, we all knew the economic landscape and Dubas never pivoted from his vision. We shall see in the playoffs how it goes for him.
Are you suggesting that once it was known that the cap would be frozen that Dubas should have traded one of the big 5? If so who?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Are you suggesting that once it was known that the cap would be frozen that Dubas should have traded one of the big 5? If so who?

Big 5? We went from the big 3 to big 4 and I guess 5...Rielly now?

Tavares would be the easy one to choose of the 4 forwards. I have a feeling the divorce would get ugly as he has the no trade clause however he's hardly the first one that was told we gotta move you, tell us where.

Rielly at 5M was palatable...at 7.5M...not so much.

That being said, lots of teams win playoff series and even Stanley Cups without this particular special group of forwards. There was life before them and there is life afterwards.

I would have probably investigated the trade market on Nylander a bit more in the most recent off-season. Not because I don't think he's a good player, he's fantastic. I just really don't think we can afford to re-sign him and Matthews.

Jun 27, 2005
Big 5? We went from the big 3 to big 4 and I guess 5...Rielly now?

Tavares would be the easy one to choose of the 4 forwards. I have a feeling the divorce would get ugly as he has the no trade clause however he's hardly the first one that was told we gotta move you, tell us where.

Rielly at 5M was palatable...at 7.5M...not so much.

That being said, lots of teams win playoff series and even Stanley Cups without this particular special group of forwards. There was life before them and there is life afterwards.

I would have probably investigated the trade market on Nylander a bit more in the most recent off-season. Not because I don't think he's a good player, he's fantastic. I just really don't think we can afford to re-sign him and Matthews.
And that's the problem. You can't trade Tavares so what's the point. Covid really killed what would now have been our peak contender years and there's really nothing that Dubas could have done.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
And that's the problem. You can't trade Tavares so what's the point. Covid really killed what would now have been our peak contender years and there's really nothing that Dubas could have done.

You can, just prepare for it to get nasty.

Tavares wouldn't be the first guy to have a NTC/NMC that was told he's moving.

Way too passive in saying "Oh well, I guess we're screwed" for me.

Reactions: hotpaws

Jun 27, 2005

You force a Tavares trade you're going to have troubles re-signing Matthews and Marner etc. Short term pain for long term gain.

Reactions: francis246

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He said Kadri type 2C not Kadri himself.

I am assuming Kadri type in terms of impact and caphit instead of the suspension, lol.

For example Bo Horvat and let’s say he signs an extension for 8mil:8yrs plus someone making 4mil or less like Nick Paul. Won’t that be better than JT and his 11mil cap hit and Hunt with his 950k.
In your example are you assuming Horvat signs an extension with whatever team he gets traded to? Because one difference is Tavares made to July 1st and became a UFA. It wasn't just the Leafs who wanted to sign him and let's remember the Sharks offered him 8 years and $13 million AAV.

I remember Gord Miller saying that Tavares was the biggest free agent signing since Scott Niedermayer signed with the Ducks. So, someone like Horvat wouldn't be on the same level as a UFA if he becomes one compared to Tavares.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Any comparable examples?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Any comparable examples?

Flyers told Scott Hartnell they're trading him, didn't ask, he had a NTC.

He went to the Blue Jackets.

Tampa told McDonagh at the exit interview after a cup winning season they needed to trade him but were willing to work with him on a final destination. They didn't ask, they basically said they wanted to keep other guys in place of him.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Tampa told McDonagh at the exit interview after a cup winning season they needed to trade him but were willing to work with him on a final destination. They didn't ask, they basically said they wanted to keep other guys in place of him.

Those guys could have blocked it though. I don’t see any scenario where the leafs trade Tavares. There will be two cap jumps in the next two years. Tavares may be slow but he’s point per game. If Matthews doesn’t resign you still need a #1 Center. And lastly his deal expires in 2 years. We don’t need to move him. Moving him hurts the team more than it helps right now.

Additionally not to mention you would piss off the entire locker room, what for? You let Tavares deal expire and sign him to a team friendly deal.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Those guys could have blocked it though. I don’t see any scenario where the leafs trade Tavares. There will be two cap jumps in the next two years. Tavares may be slow but he’s point per game. If Matthews doesn’t resign you still need a #1 Center. And lastly his deal expires in 2 years. We don’t need to move him. Moving him hurts the team more than it helps right now.

I have a different opinion than you guys.

That being said, Dubas wouldn't be the guy to force it. It would take a new guy coming in.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
What about when Toronto traded Phil Kessel and the only team on his approved trade list who wanted him was Pittsburgh.
The Leafs sucked then and as you said he had a team he could be traded to.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I have a different opinion than you guys.

That being said, Dubas wouldn't be the guy to force it. It would take a new guy coming in.
I get what you’re saying but you’re thinking in hypotheticals. Trading Tavares is not a guarantee our team improves. In fact if you look at the history of the NHL, the more cap space you have the more likely you are to make a horrible signing in UFA.

Let me ask you, is forcing a Tavares trade worth ruining the culture they’ve built? Also Tavares is still valuable and consistent. Who cares if he’s slow? He still puts up 80ish points a year. You’re not going to find that consistency in another player at a cheaper cost.

Even Bo Horvat, he’s a 50 point guy most years.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Yes, it can happen if the player agrees. What if the player doesn't agree?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad