John Stevens must be launched into the Sun UPDATE: John Stevens & Nachbaur incinerated

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Except for the two times he has his name on the cup...

Eh, Dave Lewis won three Cups as an assistant coach in Detroit, but his two years in Detroit ended with disappointing results, as did his one year coaching in Boston where they failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Sometimes assistant coaches are better left remaining as assistants. Look at Jamie Kompon, who served as an assistant on a couple of Cup winning teams, but has remained an assistant, currently with the Jets.

As a head coach, John Stevens has coached only one team that ever advanced past the first round, and that was the 2008 Flyers. Every other year he was head coach, his teams either failed to reach the post season or he never got past the first round.

I wouldn't put much stock into those two Cups as an assistant coach.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Forbort has not been fine. People expect a lot more defensively since he brings 0 offense. He is not good enough defensively or with even passes to say hes been fine.

Even though Campbell got beat on a crappy angle shot, that sequence that led to Forbort losing a chase and puck battle was classic Forbort. Can't believe this guy was touted as some remarkable skater.

Reactions: 3firstnames

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Eh, Dave Lewis won three Cups as an assistant coach in Detroit, but his two years in Detroit ended with disappointing results, as did his one year coaching in Boston where they failed to qualify for the playoffs.

Sometimes assistant coaches are better left remaining as assistants. Look at Jamie Kompon, who served as an assistant on a couple of Cup winning teams, but has remained an assistant, currently with the Jets.

As a head coach, John Stevens as coached only one team that ever advanced past the first round, and that was the 2008 Flyers. Every other year he was head coach, his teams either failed to reach the post season or he never got past the first round.

I wouldn't put much stock into those two Cups as an assistant coach.

Agreed up until the last, a lot of times assistant coaches don't translate to head coaches because the skill set needed is very different.....

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Even though Campbell got beat on a crappy angle shot, that sequence that led to Forbort losing a chase and puck battle was classic Forbort. Can't believe this guy was touted as some remarkable skater.

Talking about the D'Angelo goal? I'd have to watch it again

member 88115

Yep, but associate coaches or assistant coaches are just as important to the team as head coaches and players....
And he is great assistant coach, but does not seem have the leadership skills to be a cup caliber head coach.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Yea, that wasn't pretty, went way too in on the inside, corrected it, then stopped skating for some reason and tried to use his arms/hands/stick to control the puck, instead of just riding Angelo into the wall and letting his partner or C pickup the puck

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Forbort has not been fine. People expect a lot more defensively since he brings 0 offense. He is not good enough defensively or with even passes to say hes been fine.

Absolutely he has, he's not going to be a Regehyr or Mitchell.....and yet that seems to be what people want....it's interesting.

Reactions: Reaper45

member 88115

Only way is if he has an interim coach, and I don't know if they want Lowry up there etc.
I really want whole new coach crew. To me puck possession should still be a high priority. Now finding a way to implement speed with puck possession is what the head coach has to have a plan for. Move a way from the puck battles in the corner and improve on higher % passes (atm LA has AHL passing skills) and receiving. Our passes are not connecting or the receiving forward has a defender on their back. We the boys get stuck in the middle of past system and what they are now preaching.

Reactions: King Trouty

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I really want whole new coach crew. To me puck possession should still be a high priority. Now finding a way to implement speed with puck possession is what the head coach has to have a plan for. Move a way from the puck battles in the corner and improve on higher % passes (atm LA has AHL passing skills) and receiving. Our passes are not connecting or the receiving forward has a defender on their back. We the boys get stuck in the middle of past system and what they are now preaching.

You're not going to get a new head coach, 2 new assistant coaches etc, in the middle of the season, you might get an interim coach, who might hire someone, but rarely do you get a full new coach crew mid-season

member 88115

You're not going to get a new head coach, 2 new assistant coaches etc, in the middle of the season, you might get an interim coach, who might hire someone, but rarely do you get a full new coach crew mid-season
You are right, but if they continue to struggle. I expect many changes

Reactions: King Trouty

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Absolutely he has, he's not going to be a Regehyr or Mitchell.....and yet that seems to be what people want....it's interesting.

Well I think you have a good point here though. If you are going to be an nhl defensive dman you have to be at least close to them in terms of defense which hes not. He is no where near them and brings nothing else.

One dimensional players are "outdated" unless they are very, very good at it. It's also why Mitchell should not be here either. Winning face offs doesnt cover enough for his lack of everything else.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I thought this too when I saw that goal.

I’ve bagged on Forbort before, but he’s just okay. He’s the regular vanilla of team French Vanilla. Not even Vanilla Bean. If there was a team made entirely of Nick Shores and Derek Forborts, they would lose every game 1-0 in a shootout. But hey, Doughty loves him, so I guess we just have to keep watching paint dry on a hockey rink.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
No way does any reputable coach come in to a huge **** show to just finish out the season without a promise for the future. It will ruin their other opportunities.

It happens all the time. Sutter was brought in and wasn't given a 3 year extension right away. Bruce Boudrou went from the Caps I think to Anaheim in less than a week and wasnt given anything more than finish out the season contract. They all know this coming in.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If a team like Toronto or Vegas or Carolina or Pittsburgh win the cup this year, then you just have more evidence of the league favoring offense over defense.

The Kings need to rebuild the franchise identity and retool their roster to try and match it.

All signs on and off the ice point to a long term trend of increased scoring and teams built around a superstar forward. Anyone objectively assessing the Kings through that lens has to come away worried.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
If a team like Toronto or Vegas or Carolina or Pittsburgh win the cup this year, then you just have more evidence of the league favoring offense over defense.

The Kings need to rebuild the franchise identity and retool their roster to try and match it.

All signs on and off the ice point to a long term trend of increased scoring and teams built around a superstar forward. Anyone objectively assessing the Kings through that lens has to come away worried.

true

Blake hasn't put his stamp on the team yet

this is still Lombardi's team with some minor Blake adjustments here and there

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Well I think you have a good point here though. If you are going to be an nhl defensive dman you have to be at least close to them in terms of defense which hes not. He is no where near them and brings nothing else.

One dimensional players are "outdated" unless they are very, very good at it. It's also why Mitchell should not be here either. Winning face offs doesnt cover enough for his lack of everything else.

Assume you meant Thompson, but if you didn't, let me know.

Forbort isn't close to Mitchell or Regehyr in defense, at least not yet, you realize it took them years upon years to be...that good right?

Again, I will keep saying this, Forbort is a superb #5-#6 Dman, he's a tweener #4 depending on who his partner is, and he's not a #1-#2 or #3 D, in those slots, you are right, you have to bring more than one thing to the game.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Assume you meant Thompson, but if you didn't, let me know.

Forbort isn't close to Mitchell or Regehyr in defense, at least not yet, you realize it took them years upon years to be...that good right?

Again, I will keep saying this, Forbort is a superb #5-#6 Dman, he's a tweener #4 depending on who his partner is, and he's not a #1-#2 or #3 D, in those slots, you are right, you have to bring more than one thing to the game.

It did not take them years and years, really.

Regehr got his first NHL time at 19 and was one of the top defensemen in Calgary at 23. Mitchell was Minnesota’s best defenseman when they made that run in ‘03, and he was only 25. He was exceptional ever since.

Forbort doesn’t have close to either of those guys ceiling. He’s in his 6th year of pro hockey, he would have shown it by now. What you see is what you get, it’s likely that the stretch of good play when he first came up will be the pinnacle of his career, he’s already struggling with how the game is changing.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It did not take them years and years, really.

Regehr got his first NHL time at 19 and was one of the top defensemen in Calgary at 23. Mitchell was Minnesota’s best defenseman when they made that run in ‘03, and he was only 25. He was exceptional ever since.

Forbort doesn’t have close to either of those guys ceiling. He’s in his 6th year of pro hockey, he would have shown it by now. What you see is what you get, it’s likely that the stretch of good play when he first came up will be the pinnacle of his career, he’s already struggling with how the game is changing.

Regehr got into a situation where there was nothing else to do BUT play him, but it took him years to be considered a top defenseman, not 4 years, but he wasn't garnering any respect outside of Calgary until he actually got moved and everyone saw what a rock he was when their D collapsed for a bit...

As far as Mitchell, again, same thing, he didn't really get a reputation of being that rock on D until he was in Vancouver and he stepped up when Bieksa was injured and played only 32 games etc,

In Regehr;s case, fans wanted to ostracize him because they weren't winning etc....

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Regehr got into a situation where there was nothing else to do BUT play him, but it took him years to be considered a top defenseman, not 4 years, but he wasn't garnering any respect outside of Calgary until he actually got moved and everyone saw what a rock he was when their D collapsed for a bit...

As far as Mitchell, again, same thing, he didn't really get a reputation of being that rock on D until he was in Vancouver and he stepped up when Bieksa was injured and played only 32 games etc,

In Regehr;s case, fans wanted to ostracize him because they weren't winning etc....

Regehr wasn’t just thrown in there when he was young, he earned his spot. He was in that terrible car crash, they had every reason not to play him, not the other way around. He was absolutely a top defenseman for Calgary after 4 years. Pretty sure he got nominated for something in those years. Just because other he didn’t get the fanfare doesn’t mean he wasn’t a top guy, around the league it was well known.

Mitchell was a rock on D in Minny as well, you don’t remember how he played when they took out Vancouver in ‘03? It’s why they signed him a couple years later. He was the Wild’s #1 after that.

Both those guys were top guys on their respective teams and showed it in the playoffs at a pretty young age. Forbort hasn’t even established himself as solid yet and he’s 26, even though he’s been glued next to the best defenseman in the world. I don’t even see how it’s a comparison.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Regehr wasn’t just thrown in there when he was young, he earned his spot. He was in that terrible car crash, they had every reason not to play him, not the other way around. He was absolutely a top defenseman for Calgary after 4 years. Pretty sure he got nominated for something in those years. Just because other he didn’t get the fanfare doesn’t mean he wasn’t a top guy, around the league it was well known.

Mitchell was a rock on D in Minny as well, you don’t remember how he played when they took out Vancouver in ‘03? It’s why they signed him a couple years later. He was the Wild’s #1 after that.

Both those guys were top guys on their respective teams and showed it in the playoffs at a pretty young age. Forbort hasn’t even established himself as solid yet and he’s 26, even though he’s been glued next to the best defenseman in the world. I don’t even see how it’s a comparison.

Read the rest of my post, I was never comparing Forbort to Regehyr or Mitchell......

Reghyr's rookie year, Housley, Derek Morris, Bobby Dollas, Tommy Ablein, Darryl Shannon, Cale Hulse, Wade Belak, etc,

He earned his spot, but thats like saying Kopitar earned his spot in LA....they earned it by being good....but again, it took him years to get known as a top guy even in the league....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Regehr was dealt for Theo Fleury. He was highly regarded in juniors and was a top 3 dman when Calgary went all the way in 2004, when he was 23.

He was also averaging 20 minutes when he was 20. The Kings would’ve benefitted if Forbort followed that trajectory and if he was close to being as good defensively as Regehr, but he isn’t.

Forbort will be turning 27 in a few months. How many guys with limited skill sets at that age suddenly become better players? What you see is what you get, and you can find a Forbort on every blueline. Just pick out an average defenseman with a lot of limitations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad