Tribute John Muckler passes away at the age of 86

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Sincere condolences to the Muckler family. I met Muckler at a couple of development camps, he just happened to sit down beside me during Spezza's first camp & he was very easy to talk to & offered all kinds of interesting information about the players. Super nice guy, but I had a real problem with his draft selections especially the Russian picks that never materialized. He didn't handle the Hossa trade very well & pissed off Chara, but Heatley turned into a great player for them. RIP.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Excellent talk with Roy Mlakar. Great job by Lloyd and creech

It was interesting to hear Roy talk about a few behind the scenes moments in that interview, particularly what led to Chara's departure and the Murray hiring process.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
It was interesting to hear Roy talk about a few behind the scenes moments in that interview, particularly what led to Chara's departure and the Murray hiring process.
Do you mind giving a short summary of what Mlakar said, for those of us who missed the interview? Thanks!

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you mind giving a short summary of what Mlakar said, for those of us who missed the interview? Thanks!

Here is the link

Mlakar: John never wanted Redden over Chara, and it's unfair that people blame him for Zdeno leaving

Talked about how they met

Talked about hiring muckler as gm

Talked about muckler bringing swagger

Talked about mucklers management style

Thinks he should be in the HOF

Didnt choose redden over Chara, agent already convinced Chara to go muckler was asking for a number and he'd make it work but never got it. Chara wanted to be Captain.

Talked about hiring Murray

Last edited:
Reactions: h2 and DrEasy

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Here is the link

Mlakar: John never wanted Redden over Chara, and it's unfair that people blame him for Zdeno leaving

Talked about how they met

Talked about hiring muckler as gm

Talked about muckler bringing swagger

Talked about mucklers management style

Thinks he should be in the HOF

Didnt choose redden over Chara, agent already convinced Chara to go muckler was asking for a number and he'd make it work but never got it. Chara wanted to be Captain.

Talked about hiring Murray
That was a good interview, thanks for the link! Mlakar got quite emotional at times talking about Muckler.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was a good interview, thanks for the link! Mlakar got quite emotional at times talking about Muckler.

They were clearly very close, and while you need to take some things said with that in mind, i think we can close the door on Muckle chose Redden over Chara debate. He may have set the table for Chara leaving through how Hossa was treated, but it sounds very much like he would have made it work if Chara was willing to re-sign.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
They were clearly very close, and while you need to take some things said with that in mind, i think we can close the door on Muckle chose Redden over Chara debate. He may have set the table for Chara leaving through how Hossa was treated, but it sounds very much like he would have made it work if Chara was willing to re-sign.
I mean, if I recall things correctly, he offered the same contract to both players, Redden took it, Chara didn't. So if what I recall is correct, technically Mlakar is right. But to me there's no way Chara should get the same offer as Redden. And if the cap is an issue and you can't give Chara more, then you effectively have to choose one over the other.

And sure, I imagine the captaincy was an issue as well.

Just as it's not fair to pin it all on Muckler, it's not fair to pin it all on Chara (or his agent) either.

In any case, I don't want to bash Muckler in this thread, of all threads. He did bring swagger to this team, and who knows what would have happened with a healthy Hasek during the playoffs. RIP.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CAN_OS.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad