John Moore's hit on Dale Weise - Suspended 2 games - Video in post 177

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
@7BOOMERESIASON: “@JSB_FOX: Just spoke with NHL's Quintal, says he originally had 1 game for hit b/c late (.9 seconds), but 2 games including injury. #prust

Because consistency.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I thought he'd get one but not surprised by 2 because, the NHL :P 2 would make sense if Weise was actually injured but i haven't seen anything come out about that. Whatever. beat the Habs. move on.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
If Weise truly was concussed on that hit, then I take back all criticism of the suspension and am fine with it.

Weise better not be in the lineup tomorrow.

Zaggs

Apr 20, 2014
Isolate the incident and I think few Ranger fans have a problem with two games for the hit. The problem is the precedence they put in place with the Prust suspension. He has history and the result of a broken jaw, Moore has no history.

There is talk about a concussion to Weise. If that is the case why the **** did they guy skate three more shifts after going to the quiet room?

The thing is, how do you say its Moore's hit that gave him a concussion? If he kept playing you can't say he didn't get it before hand. Or more especially that he didn't get it after.

gardenparty

Oct 21, 2011
Thought it deserved a single game, but not going to cry about 2. That's the NHL for you. You can pull your hair out sometimes trying to make sense of league decisions.

Weise is extremely fortunate he didn't crack his head on the ice as he clearly didn't have his helmet strapped on properly. I am not surprised if he is concussed. While he got up right away, he was as glassy-eyed and steady on his feet as college freshman after a fraternity pledge.

As far as Diaz goes, I have every confidence in his abilities. I thought he was possibly our best player in Game 3 vs Pittsburgh (6 shots of goal). And he knows the Habs team very well having played for them (likely faced Tokarski a lot in practice).

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
I'm fine with the suspension ruling - the more I look at it, the more I see a guy that has no idea what he's doing in trying to attempt a proper open ice hit. Bad angle, lean with the shoulder last minute to ensure contact.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
There's a pretty good drop off from Moore to diaz. Anyone happy about this suspension is confused.

Moores been playing a lot and pretty well at that. And Klein has had his 2 best games as a nyr with John Moore as his partner. Don't underestimate that.

Moore plays the 2nd pp and has been pushing pucks deep all series. He's been pretty solid in both ends.

Diaz hasn't played in forever.

I'm not on board thinking diaz playing is a good thing.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
There's a pretty good drop off from Moore to diaz. Anyone happy about this suspension is confused.

Moores been playing a lot and pretty well at that. And Klein has had his 2 best games as a nyr with John Moore as his partner. Don't underestimate that.

Moore plays the 2nd pp and has been pushing pucks deep all series. He's been pretty solid in both ends.

Agreed. There is a reason Moore was playing and Diaz was not. That said, Diaz has a nice heavy shot and he creates lanes to use it. Our other Dmen are too static.

I'm hoping Diaz will score tonight to help bury these Habs and haunt them like McD does.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Just out of perversity comes the inclination to run over to the main or Habs boards just to wonder aloud why Moore is being suspended at all for his perfectly clean hit. He made a mistake. Moore had had a run in or two with Weise during the game and he was angry and he saw a great opportunity to flatten him and that's pretty much what he did.

Keeping in mind that Quintal can parse the reasons as he needs to. I don't know how seriously Weise is hurt. I guess we'll see if he's in the lineup tonight but the two hits were fairly similar and if Weise is concussed--they both caused damage. Then I could see Moore getting 2-3 games even. I think Prust deserved a bit more though. That was real late--too high and a strong argument could be made that he called it with all his comments to the press. Nitpicking at this point though. Rangers will have to win or not win with Diaz in the lineup.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I agree. Moore--bigger, younger, stronger, better skater, a lefty on the left side and he's played pretty well throughout the playoffs. Since Klein came on board--there's been very little running around chasing the play on Moore's part. There are people that just don't like Moore--some noses still out of joint that DZ got traded instead.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

I don't think Moore has been playing all that well. He's been running around in the defensive zone way too much for my liking, and doesn't make enough of an impact in the transition game to make up for it. He's also been getting knocked off the puck like he's not even there.

I still think losing all that weight in the offseason really hurt him.

AHB*

I don't disagree with everything you said, but if you think Moore is better then Diaz on the PP, I just don't get it. Sure he "pushes" pucks deep, but he really hasn't been very good on the point, at all. Diaz is significantly better.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Once again, no consistency.

This league has no clue how to be consistent with discipline.

They mention all of the things that go into the lengths of suspensions and set a new standard each time it seems.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't disagree with everything you said, but if you think Moore is better then Diaz on the PP, I just don't get it. Sure he "pushes" pucks deep, but he really hasn't been very good on the point, at all. Diaz is significantly better.

Moore COULD be better on the power play, but right now he is not. Diaz has the experience and the faster set up for shooting.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
If Weise truly was concussed on that hit, then I take back all criticism of the suspension and am fine with it.

Weise better not be in the lineup tomorrow.

Disagree...

And I've seen plenty of concussions that involve zero contact to the head.

THe injury on any play should NEVER matter. Stepan's particular injury just proves that there was contact to the head for anyone who doubted it.

Can never base punishments on injuries because sometimes it's not immediately apparent on whether someone was injured. When it comes to concussions, it's not always known immediately what the case is. And sometimes the player isn't honest about their health.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Disagree...

THe injury on any play should NEVER matter. Stepan's particular injury just proves that there was contact to the head for anyone who doubted it.

Can never base punishments on injuries because sometimes it's not immediately apparent on whether someone was injured. When it comes to concussions, it's not always known immediately what the case is. And sometimes the player isn't honest about their health.

Regardless of whether we agree or not, injury to the victim DOES factor into the Dept of Player Safety's decision-making process. That is why I am OK with the 2 games; because I understand how they operate. Does it make sense? No. But that's their formula, not ours.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Disagree...

I agree. What difference does it make?

If some slashes someone across the face, but one guy is wearing a shield and one guy isnt... why should the degree of injury matter? its stupid. Stepan couldve broke his jaw when he hit the ice. Weise could have been concussed when he was destroyed by Moore into the turnbuckle on a beautiful hit earlier in the game. It shouldnt be a determining factor, if you are trying to get headshots and slashes to the face out of the game.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't think anyone would have a problem with the suspension in a vacuum. The issue is the proportional relationship to Prust's suspension.

You tell me that Moore's hit was worth two games? Fine. Then Prust's identical hit, which came later, in the wake of threats by the coach and teammates, from a player with a history, caused an injury, and was not penalized during the game, was worth four, minimum. Period, the end.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. Still though, Moore hurt someone with a totally unnecessary and obviously illegal hit. He's got to sit for it. Prust should have sat longer, yeah, but Moore can't just get off because of it. You can't make and endless series of mistakes and justify each one with the one before it.

AHB*

Weise out tonight. This is going to sound terrible, but if Moore was going to be an idiot, it could have at least been on an effective player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad