Value of: John Klingberg to the Oilers

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I feel like Klingberg would be a great fit on the Oilers. He's on a great contract and is only 25, and scored 69 points on a struggling team this year. He is a RHD and can quarterback a powerplay really well. A defense of Nurse - Klingberg, and then Klefbom/Larsson looks really solid imo. I'm really not sure how high his value is. How's this:

:stars2018 1st (9th Overall) 2019 1st (unprotected), Jesse Puljujarvi, Ryan Strome, Ethan Bear

:edmontonJohn Klingberg, 2018 2nd

Thoughts?

Edit: Added Ethan Bear

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Your not adding a player of Klingberg's ilk without giving up a major core piece. A question mark in some draft picks and another prospect who hasn't played up to his draft ranking don't get the conversation started

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think the value is there for sure, but the only way we make that deal is if we are rebuilding. Klingberg and his cheap contract are to important to the team.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
i'd think it'd be something like Drai + Bear/Klef and the Oil still might have to add a pick while Dallas sends a lesser pick back.

You don't acquire a defenseman of his caliber and age through trades without blowing up your team and farm.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Klingberg isnt available. Theres bo package you can put together that Oilers fans would be ok with to get the stars to say yes.

member 157595

If my team had Klingberg he'd be unavailable, so I can't see Dallas moving him either. Great young RHD on cheap contracts are absolute gold.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I feel like Klingberg would be a great fit on the Oilers. He's on a great contract and is only 25, and scored 69 points on a struggling team this year. He is a RHD and can quarterback a powerplay really well. A defense of Nurse - Klingberg, and then Klefbom/Larsson looks really solid imo. I'm really not sure how high his value is. How's this:

:stars2018 1st (9th Overall) 2019 1st (unprotected), Jesse Puljujarvi, Ryan Strome, Ethan Bear

Thoughts?

Oilers easily get the best player.
If Klingberg were older, quickly approaching ufa status this might make sense for Dallas.
He is not though and I can't understand why Dallas bites on this proposal. Want younger talent? Trade older players for picks/prospects.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
We gonna have to lose like.... probably drai in order to move the needle. No deal to be made unfortunately. Could use a decent winger (not interested in RADiator)

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
The only scenario where id move Klings is if Dallas won the draft lotto and the drai was part of the trade. But even then I don't know.

Which would be better long term

Seguin and ?? As our 2C with
Heiskanen - Dahlin
Lindell - Klingberg

Or

Seguin and Drai as centers with
Heiskanen - Dahlin
Lindell - Johns/Honka

Guess it all depends on who would be the other C and what it costs to get that C

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Thoughts?

I won't comment on value, but i don't see Dallas trading Klingberg....kid is just to important to them.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Uhhhhh Kling is a legit #1 D signed at 4.25 for 4 more years. I dont think there is a reasonable offer Dallas would consider for him from any team

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
McDavid or GTFO. No other piece(s) on the Oilers make sense from Dallas POV to move Klingberg.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I hate posts like this. I get it, Klingberg is untouchable. But **** about McDavid, okay?

Not saying the value is equal, or that other pieces couldn't amount to equal value. Just that the hole that Klingberg would leave would be okay if someone of that caliber was coming back. Anything less, or few lesser pieces are simply not worth it from DAL point of view

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad