Value of: John Klingberg to MTL

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Petry signed resigned on a team-friendly deal, so using that comparison would be the low-end of what he's expecting. Somewhere between 7-8M would be where I expect the deal to land, but who knows if he resigns or goes to FA.
Exactly and this is Petry’s last multi-years contract as he is already at the end of his career. As for Klingberg, this will be his big contract. I don’t see him signing under 8M$ per no matter where.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
That's way too high if we use Petry as a comparable, similar style/usage and Petry is ~3 years older. Petry recently signed for 6.25M (4 years), i see Klingberg at around 7M-7.5M, closer to 7M for ~6 years.
Petry is now the comparable to Klingberg? Interesting take! Petry is not even in the same discussion as Klingberg. Klingberg is for sure going to get more 8mil+ and is in no way similar in any aspect to Petry other than they both play in the NHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Petry and Savard signed long term, I don't see why the Habs would give up the assets in trade for Klingberg to be in their bottom 6...

Habs are deep with LD guys coming and not so much at RD. And the idea would be to trade a LD guy that produces later for a guy like Klingberg who helps now. Klingberg plays behind Petry but not Savard bud.

The other thing to note is with the Habs being forced to put Weber on LTIR before the season starts. Not sure how much accrued cap space we have at the deadline so Habs would have to send salary back to fit him in.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry is now the comparable to Klingberg? Interesting take! Petry is not even in the same discussion as Klingberg. Klingberg is for sure going to get more 8mil+ and is in no way similar in any aspect to Petry other than they both play in the NHL.

4 years in the difference is the biggest difference (age 29 vs 33). Look at the numbers over the last 3 seasons below. I do agree that Klingberg gets more AAV than Petry but it's not a massive gap like you think it is... in terms of production on the ice. It's more to do with age and how Petry wanted to stay with the Habs when you compare to the next contract Klingberg gets.

Petry:
* 208 games played
* 23:12 TOI
* 36 goals
* 128 pts (0.62 pts/game)
* 38 PP points
* 55.6 Corsi for with 55% D zone starts
* 5.76 hits/game
* 3.25 blocks/game
* 3.63 giveaways/game
* 0.98 takeaways/game

Klingberg:
* 175 games played
* 23:11 TOI
* 23 goals
* 113 pts (0.65 pts/game)
* 54 PP points
* 57.2 Corsi for with 38% D zone starts
* 1.77 hits/game
* 2.97 blocks/game
* 2.97 giveaways/game
* 0.99 takeaways/game

Last edited:

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Habs are deep with LD guys coming and not so much at RD. And the idea would be to trade a LD guy that produces later for a guy like Klingberg who helps now. Klingberg plays behind Petry but not Savard bud.

The other thing to note is with the Habs being forced to put Weber on LTIR before the season starts. Not sure how much accrued cap space we have at the deadline so Habs would have to send salary back to fit him in.

So, then the Habs are paying Savard 3.5 million to be a bottom pairing guy? That doesn't seem like a good use of cap space...

Reactions: Miller Time

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

absolutely clueless, "interesting take" lmao

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Petry has been just as good ,probably better than Klingberg the last 3 seasons or more.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
in a world that Nurse gets 9.25, 8 is not unreasonable for Klingberg. If someone was going to lock him up now, thats likely what it would cost....

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Dallas would have to be far out of the playoff picture for Nill to move Klingberg at the trade deadline

Let’s say Dallas is out of the picture and Dallas is going to trade him as a rental, I’d imagine he’d be one of the top available players. So at least a first and a good prospect or something
And the thing is that the Habs are just as likely to be out by then.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
in a world that Nurse gets 9.25, 8 is not unreasonable for Klingberg. If someone was going to lock him up now, thats likely what it would cost....

it's possible, i'm not saying he won't get it, i said he's not worth it

saying Petry isn't comparable to Klingberg is what's laughable, considering Petry is better than him

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Seems like the type of player who will age very well. I don’t see him coming cheap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad