Value of: John Klingberg to MTL

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
If you look at the last couple trade deadlines there isn't any real close comparables to Klingberg that have been traded at the deadline but the closest in terms of role (top 4 D - in Klingberg's case top 2/3 D) are Savard and Martinez - Neither are at Klingberg's level, but Savard got a 1st (with retention) and Martinez got 2 x 2nds. Muzzin from 3 seasons ago was traded for a 1st and 2nd with an extra year on his contract. With these comparables I would say Klingberg is probably worth a 1st + good (not great) prospect. Retention would make him more valuable.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don’t see this as likely to happen at all, although Klingberg would be a great addition.

Montreal would be unlikely (but not impossible) to give up a first since they are hosting the draft.

So that would mean a top prospect would likely have to go the other way, which I don’t see Bergy doing unless it’s someone like Harris (if he said he won’t sign in Canada).

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Habs can't wven deal their first pick this year before the conditions for Dvorak are set I believe. So it would have to be prospects as I doubt they deal next year's first.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don’t see this as likely to happen at all, although Klingberg would be a great addition.

Montreal would be unlikely (but not impossible) to give up a first since they are hosting the draft.

So that would mean a top prospect would likely have to go the other way, which I don’t see Bergy doing unless it’s someone like Harris (if he said he won’t sign in Canada).
I don't think Harris is the type of prospect that replaces a 1st in a deal for Klingberg especially with his current contract status and potential college free agent option. Harris would more likely be the + to the pick.

Reactions: Vachon23

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I don't think Harris is the type of prospect that replaces a 1st in a deal for Klingberg especially with his current contract status and potential college free agent option. Harris would more likely be the + to the pick.
That's kind of my point, a package with Harris being the main piece is not getting Klingberg...

I don't think he's dealing Norlinder, Guhle, Romanov for a rental or Poehling because of the thin centre depth. So without a first or a top prospect, I don't see how a deal for Klingberg happens, even though he'd be a good fit.

If Bergy does trade a top prospect, it will be for an organizational weakness (young RHD or C) IMO.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Habs won’t trade for Klingberg unless he is extending with us.

but if he agrees to extend with us, a 1st + Norlinder would be a reasonable package I would think.

Reactions: malcb33

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Habs won’t trade for Klingberg unless he is extending with us.

but if he agrees to extend with us, a 1st + Norlinder would be a reasonable package I would think.

That is not really close. Norlinder is a pretty decent prospect (Wheeler has him #7 in the Habs system), but that is nowhere close to what it would cost.

I can't think of the last time a player of Klingberg's caliber was traded at the deadline (Taylor Hall's value was tanked by how poor he was playing all of last season). 3rd liners like Blake Coleman went for 1sts and decent prospects. It's gonna be way more than Norlinder + a first, extension or not.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
That is not really close. Norlinder is a pretty decent prospect (Wheeler has him #7 in the Habs system), but that is nowhere close to what it would cost.

I can't think of the last time a player of Klingberg's caliber was traded at the deadline (Taylor Hall's value was tanked by how poor he was playing all of last season). 3rd liners like Blake Coleman went for 1sts and decent prospects. It's gonna be way more than Norlinder + a first, extension or not.
But Coleman got a first and Foote because his cap hit was extremely low, and he was signed for multiple seasons at that cap hit. Klingberg is on a final year of his deal and should expect a raise.

Reactions: malcb33

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Good point on the draft being in Montreal, and with the important changes made (Weber, Danault, will Price be healthy? etc), the Habs won't and shouldn't trade their first.

Please don't see it as an offense (have to be extra careful because some people are extra sensitive), looking at the polls on the Habs board, who would you say is a "top prospect" that could interest Dallas for Klingberg? For example, I can't see Poehling being considered an interesting piece for Dallas and he was voted 3rd

1. Kaiden Guhle, 72.6% (+3)
2. Mattias Norlinder, 37.2% (+1)
3. Ryan Poehling, 37.4% (+3)
4. Logan Mailloux, 38.7% (NA)
5. Cayden Primeau, 68.7% (-)
6. Jordan Harris, 38.1% (+1)
7. Jayden Struble, 28.0% [Tiebreaker 52.9%] (+3)
8. Jesse Ylonen, 62.5% (+3)
9. Luke Tuch, 42.2% (+5)
10. Jan Mysak, 35.8% (-2)

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Good point on the draft being in Montreal, and with the important changes made (Weber, Danault, will Price be healthy? etc), the Habs won't and shouldn't trade their first.

Please don't see it as an offense (have to be extra careful because some people are extra sensitive), looking at the polls on the Habs board, who would you say is a "top prospect" that could interest Dallas for Klingberg? For example, I can't see Poehling being considered an interesting piece for Dallas and he was voted 3rd

1. Kaiden Guhle, 72.6% (+3)
2. Mattias Norlinder, 37.2% (+1)
3. Ryan Poehling, 37.4% (+3)
4. Logan Mailloux, 38.7% (NA)
5. Cayden Primeau, 68.7% (-)
6. Jordan Harris, 38.1% (+1)
7. Jayden Struble, 28.0% [Tiebreaker 52.9%] (+3)
8. Jesse Ylonen, 62.5% (+3)
9. Luke Tuch, 42.2% (+5)
10. Jan Mysak, 35.8% (-2)

* Is seen as an important future piece, and is unlikely to be traded unless it's for someone under 25 with term or team control, that fits the organizational needs (C or RHD)

1. Kaiden Guhle-*
2. Mattias Norlinder- *
3. Ryan Poehling- The team has major needs at 3/4C
4. Logan Mailloux- Too much drama around him right now, decreases his trade value
5. Cayden Primeau- Dallas has too many goalies right now

Which leaves 6. Jordan Harris (and below)- who doesn't hold enough value to be a centrepiece for Klingberg IMO. Depending on how the season progresses Poehling could be available.

IMO this is why this trade would be unlikely to happen, even though it would be a great fit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xspyrit

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I haven't heard anything and as a non stars fan I imagine he's looking at 8 per at the lowest

That's way too high if we use Petry as a comparable, similar style/usage and Petry is ~3 years older. Petry recently signed for 6.25M (4 years), i see Klingberg at around 7M-7.5M, closer to 7M for ~6 years.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
That's way too high if we use Petry as a comparable, similar style/usage and Petry is ~3 years older. Petry recently signed for 6.25M (4 years), i see Klingberg at around 7M-7.5M, closer to 7M for ~6 years.
Petry signed resigned on a team-friendly deal, so using that comparison would be the low-end of what he's expecting. Somewhere between 7-8M would be where I expect the deal to land, but who knows if he resigns or goes to FA.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Petry signed resigned on a team-friendly deal, so using that comparison would be the low-end of what he's expecting. Somewhere between 7-8M would be where I expect the deal to land, but who knows if he resigns or goes to FA.
Given last year’s UFA signings, I would not be surprised if he got 8+ in FA.

no chance he is moved before the TDL and he would be moved only if DAL is out of contention which I don t see happening. Great team in VGK, happy to see Heiskanen working out the way he does and still pissed off that MTL did not trade for Seguin (and ROR but that s another story) given the price at the time ;)

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
With Petry and Savard signed long term, I don't see why the Habs would give up the assets in trade for Klingberg to be in their bottom 6...

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Klingberg is the caliber of player who is an automatic 1st plus good prospect at the very least. This is a price that would be paid by some team, and I can't imagine Dallas would come off requiring the pick.

If that is off the table for Montreal, you aren't going to balance it out with some decentish prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00