Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This. We’ve had Schutz and Gogulla and neither were ready for NHL action after the DEL.

The only DEL player I can think of to jump from DEL straight to NHL was Marco Sturm.
I see the path as DEL -> AHL -->NHL.
Shutz and Gogulla are a failure of the Sabres scouting dept not the DEL. Neither one of those guys had a strong desire to play in the North America. Gogula was particularly ambivalent about it. They were comfortable in the DEL, making a good living, being with friends and family. Peterka is committed to playing in the NHL.
Kahun made the direct jump, but we don't want to wait until Peterka is 23.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This. We’ve had Schutz and Gogulla and neither were ready for NHL action after the DEL.

The only DEL player I can think of to jump from DEL straight to NHL was Marco Sturm.

He’s quite obviously better than either of those players. There is no “set path.” If you are good enough, you are good enough. And he’s good enough.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sounds good to me. I like the plan for DEL this year and AHL next year with a chance to make the team in camp. No need to bring him to camp this year when the season is already underway over there.

Going to Red Bull Munich is almost the same as going to Rochester. On D they have Redmond and MacWilliam and have Roy and Gogulla at stürmer. We like the word stürmer.
EHC Red Bull München

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I hope they don't try to rush the kid. He's in a league where Zach Redmond is the top defenseman and Luke Adam is a point-per-game player. But it's still a men's league. Leave him there another year. It's amazing that he's playing with Gogulla...and not just Redmond but also Andrew MacWilliam. And Derek Roy may still be on that team?

If he does 22/23 in Rochester that's also fine. If we're stuck with Okposo for two more years, he can walk into the coveted Okposo spot.

If Olofsson is still on the team then, and if he is RW like I think he should be, you could have Eichel/Peterka and Cozens/Olofsson, or the other way around. Having two left shot RWs is top-9 is not ideal, but Eichel and Cozens are both right shots. Quinn/Peterka/Olofsson isn't bad 1/2/3 long term.

Kevin Hayes has one more year of NMC, then a limited no-trade clause. He's probably better suited to LW, and definitely would be long term. If we could flip Reinhart for Hayes, he'd be a great 2C next year, 3C the year after, and you could do Cozens 3C/2C those two years, and then you settle the big guy on the LW. I know the Hayes contract could be really scary in the last three years and probably not worth the risk. This is the Peterka thread, sorry.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I just threw up at Hayes for Reinhart. No thanks.

I didn't mean it as a fair trade more as a contract for contract of course adds coming from PHI. And Hayes probably has us on the NTC. Point is its an actual 2C instead of any of the schemes and dreams since ROR was traded.

Edit to say...Reinhart is gonna get 7 million I think, and he isn't a 7 million dollar center next year or even the year after. Debatable if we want a 7 million winger considering Skinners situation. Forget the Hayes thing my point was I would be more confident with a guy like him for two years at 7 million. Reinhart at 7 million and we are going to be patient with him and hope that after two years he is Nuge level, reliable 2C reliable 1st line winger? I could endure two more top 8 picks for that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2