Player Discussion John-Jason (JJ) Peterka, RW (34th overall, 2020) -- Signed to ELC

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Smart teams don't trade players they see huge upside in.
Do you see a "huge" upside in JJ? Expand on that if able, I'm curious. Is there a young Sabres forward that doesn't have "huge" upside in your opinion? Where do you think his ceiling ranks relative to Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, and Rosen? For me, he's last in that group.

Sometimes a guy gets traded because other teams think they still have ceiling left, but the original team disagrees after having way more eyes on him for years. Sometimes that comes back to burn the original team. But so does sitting on all your prospects and waiting for the average players to reveal themselves. And this is coming from someone who had to pull over on a road trip I was so excited we traded up to take him. I like the player and think he holds significant value.
I don't see point in trading Peterka at this stage.
To each their own of course. I presented four reasons to trade him. I understand we all love our players, but if a team is willing to move the mythical top 4 D we all want for JJ + 2nd, the point would become clear pretty quickly. He'd have to turn into a regular 25-45 guy to really make that hurt (and we have others who should be able to do that with the usage).

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
To each their own of course. I presented four reasons to trade him. I understand we all love our players, but if a team is willing to move the mythical top 4 D we all want for JJ + 2nd, the point would become clear pretty quickly. He'd have to turn into a regular 25-45 guy to really make that hurt (and we have others who should be able to do that with the usage).
Peterka is still a very good young player with a high ceiling. We can get top 4 D without trading our best prospects and young players. I don't even see a single realistic player for whom this could be done.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Peterka is still a very good young player with a high ceiling. We can get top 4 D without trading our best prospects and young players. I don't even see a single realistic player for whom this could be done.
I agree, he's a good young player with a relatively high ceiling. Yet we're so loaded that he's our fifth or sixth highest ceiling young forward.

This isn't really the thread for it, but I'm curious how we get a top 4 D without moving a guy like this, short of a very risky overpay for a UFA. It certainly wouldn't be a young one with term. The way the LA board talks about Matt Roy, I don't think they'd take JJ straight up for him and he's a 28yo UFA-to-be.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Do you see a "huge" upside in JJ? Expand on that if able, I'm curious. Is there a young Sabres forward that doesn't have "huge" upside in your opinion? Where do you think his ceiling ranks relative to Quinn, Savoie, Kulich, and Rosen? For me, he's last in that group.

Sometimes a guy gets traded because other teams think they still have ceiling left, but the original team disagrees after having way more eyes on him for years. Sometimes that comes back to burn the original team. But so does sitting on all your prospects and waiting for the average players to reveal themselves. And this is coming from someone who had to pull over on a road trip I was so excited we traded up to take him. I like the player and think he holds significant value.

First it is too early to trade young players that have a roster spot. It is creating a hole in the roster. Coaches called Peterka a Unicorn. Super fast excellent shot. Great on the boards as well. Upside I have him second to Savoie offensively. Quinn I see as 50-70 two way winger. Kulich honestly I see a more well rounded Olofsson.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Why not? That's such a limiting philosophy. I don't think Adams is operating under such a firm restriction (and certainly no reason for a fan board to do so).
Well, I mean you listen to everyone and if someone blows you away then you'll take it.

Guys like Quinn, Peterka, Krebs cannot yet be replaced from within and will likely have more value later. It makes no sense to move them now unless really wowed with an offer.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
First it is too early to trade young players that have a roster spot. It is creating a hole in the roster. Coaches called Peterka a Unicorn. Super fast excellent shot. Great on the boards as well. Upside I have him second to Savoie offensively. Quinn I see as 50-70 two way winger. Kulich honestly I see a more well rounded Olofsson.
Fair enough. Unicorn is way too much though, I can't imagine who said that. It's really a basketball scouting term that describes the KD, Giannis, and Wembys of the world. Tage may be a unicorn. A small 60-point defensively competent wing is not a unicorn. It's a nice NHL player.

Quinn has 40-goal upside, as does Kulich. They both have near-elite to elite shots. Rosen isn't far behind, if at all these days. JJ is really nice all-around, but personally I don't see a stand-out skill that ranks the others ahead of him for me.

If a team is asking for JJ as the centerpiece for the D we need, Adams is not hanging up the phone. We can replace what he does now with a two-year UFA with snarl and we can replace what he'll do in the future with developed prospects of the same or better pedigree.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree, he's a good young player with a relatively high ceiling. Yet we're so loaded that he's our fifth or sixth highest ceiling young forward.

This isn't really the thread for it, but I'm curious how we get a top 4 D without moving a guy like this, short of a very risky overpay for a UFA. It certainly wouldn't be a young one with term. The way the LA board talks about Matt Roy, I don't think they'd take JJ straight up for him and he's a 28yo UFA-to-be.
I wouldn't trade Peterka for one year of Roy. There will be options in UFA and trade that shouldn't cost Peterka.

Kulich Man

Oh Jeah!!
Dec 7, 2022
Fair enough. Unicorn is way too much though, I can't imagine who said that. It's really a basketball scouting term that describes the KD, Giannis, and Wembys of the world. Tage may be a unicorn. A small 60-point defensively competent wing is not a unicorn. It's a nice NHL player.

Quinn has 40-goal upside, as does Kulich. They both have near-elite to elite shots. Rosen isn't far behind, if at all these days. JJ is really nice all-around, but personally I don't see a stand-out skill that ranks the others ahead of him for me.

If a team is asking for JJ as the centerpiece for the D we need, Adams is not hanging up the phone. We can replace what he does now with a two-year UFA with snarl and we can replace what he'll do in the future with developed prospects of the same or better pedigree.

Peca IIRC.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't think Adams is operating under such a firm restriction
I think that's how he works. He doesn't trade the best prospects or young players. He didn't trade Kulich/Savoie for Chychrun, (I wouldn't trade either). Of course, if some Rasmus Andersson appears on the market, he will at least think, but otherwise I think he does not move such players.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I saw it a bit different. Peterka struggled more than Quinn throughout the season, but there were games he looked like a force. I think Ostlund and Rosen are the only two higher end prospects that could make it into a trade right now, and I don't believe this organization will trade someone drafted this quickly so that leaves Rosen as the chip for a D trade.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I wouldn't trade Peterka for one year of Roy. There will be options in UFA and trade that shouldn't cost Peterka.
Right, I wouldn't either. But the point is neither would they. Somebody's perception of value is off. Top 4 D who can skate and play shutdown are so hard to find. Look at the draft, there are a million 5'10 speedsters available and like ten D who fit the mold. Supply and demand.
Peca IIRC.
Well, alright then. 😂 I'd go "thoroughbred" or "trusty steed," if limited to equine metaphors. Because unicorn is ridiculous.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Right, I wouldn't either. But the point is neither would they. Somebody's perception of value is off. Top 4 D who can skate and play shutdown are so hard to find. Look at the draft, there are a million 5'10 speedsters available and like ten who fit the mold. Supply and demand.
My point exactly. He has a boatload of potential and it is unlikely that other GMs are going to take the risk on him that we will (cause we traded up to draft him). Unicorn is a dumb word, but I'm not gonna say that Peca was just fluffing him up. If he achieves his potential, JJP could be a monster.

So we're better off keeping him until we have an idea of how far he goes. At that point, trading him for equal/better value would be easier. Not now.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Well, alright then. 😂 I'd go "thoroughbred" or "trusty steed," if limited to equine metaphors. Because unicorn is ridiculous.
The context was that he (jjp) had a vast reserve of untapped potential - and through work and education - become anything he wanted to be.

Could have been any cryptid I imagine. The takeaway was that jjp was a mystery and could really turn out to be something special. I don't take it as rarity here; rather the unknown.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
My point exactly. He has a boatload of potential and it is unlikely that other GMs are going to take the risk on him that we will (cause we traded up to draft him). Unicorn is a dumb word, but I'm not gonna say that Peca was just fluffing him up. If he achieves his potential, JJP could be a monster.

So we're better off keeping him until we have an idea of how far he goes. At that point, trading him for equal/better value would be easier. Not now.
I hear ya. In my friend group I'm the JJ fluffer (😬), so it's odd being on this side of the debate.

If he indeed has a boatload of potential, plenty of other FOs will agree. Their files on him from draft year to AHL to now will be overflowing with reports on his progress and ceiling. GMs will of course take on the risk inherent in acquiring a not-fully-formed player if they believe in him. Any hit to his value due to uncertainty is balanced out by the years of team control and prime remaining.

I don't think we should rush him or any other young F out, but eventually one (or more will go). Adams certainly has a ranking in his head of who is most valuable to him. The odds of Quinn, JJ, Krebs, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, etc all being in this organization three years from now are lower than most think.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I hear ya. In my friend group I'm the JJ fluffer (😬), so it's odd being on this side of the debate.

If he indeed has a boatload of potential, plenty of other FOs will agree. Their file on him from draft year to AHL to now will be overflowing with reports on his progress and ceiling. GMs will of course take on the risk inherent in acquiring a not-fully-formed player if they believe in him. Any hit to his value due to uncertainty is balanced out by the years of team control and prime remaining.

I don't think we should rush him or any other young F out, but eventually one (or more will go). Adams certainly has a ranking in his head of who is most valuable to him. The odds of Quinn, JJ, Krebs, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, etc all being in this organization three years from now are lower than most think.
Absolutely. One or more will go. There's no reason to try avoiding it.

I just wouldn't start moving them quite yet.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Mostly just saying something before I went to bed that would evoke a discussion … but like others have said here, I also don’t see him fitting long term into the team. If we go after a player to fill some grit needs in the team, JJP would be someone I’d put into the deal. I like him, and I loved that we landed him in the draft as low as we did, but he’s valuable trade bait and we will be logjammed soon, maybe as soon as next season, with prospects wanting spots.

Reactions: HOOats

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Mostly just saying something before I went to bed that would evoke a discussion … but like others have said here, I also don’t see him fitting long term into the team. If we go after a player to fill some grit needs in the team, JJP would be someone I’d put into the deal. I like him, and I loved that we landed him in the draft as low as we did, but he’s valuable trade bait and we will be logjammed soon, maybe as soon as next season, with prospects wanting spots.
Well, I disagree, there’s enough place for Peterka and Savoie and Kulich.

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Peterka
Kulich - Mitts - Savoie

Reactions: ceky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad