Confirmed with Link: John Hynes fired; Andrew Brunette hired as new HC

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
“Incoming general manager Barry Trotz told The Tennessean on Tuesday that Taylor was among the three finalists to replace John Hynes, who was fired earlier Tuesday. Trotz ultimately is expected to hire former Predator Andrew Burnette for the job but had nothing but praise for Taylor, whose team is playing in the Western Conference final in the AHL playoffs.” Tennessean

Not sure what this means for Taylor. Hopefully he still stays with the org, one way or another.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Next time we meet, I demand photographic proof. :D

i'll claim it's photoshopped, but I demand it nonetheless
Be careful with photographic proof. Fortunately, my kids are young and don’t have heart conditions. They never believed that old fat buzz cut dad was once a long haired headbanger. Until… :oops:

Reactions: hockey diva

CRay

Feb 9, 2021
Curious why they waited this long to fire Hynes. Only reason I can think of is he had a short list of people he wanted and if he couldnt get one of them he would just keep him. Not sure I have ever seen a coaching change play out like this.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Curious why they waited this long to fire Hynes. Only reason I can think of is he had a short list of people he wanted and if he couldnt get one of them he would just keep him. Not sure I have ever seen a coaching change play out like this.
Brunette and Carbery were both coaching in the playoffs so presumably he had to wait until NJ and TOR were out just to see if they were interested. Presumably if they both fell through he would have to decide if he was going with Taylor or just gonna keep Hynes.

I still think the way things played out, that Trotz wanted Carbery, and when he took the Caps Brunette got the next call. Of course it could be the opposite, that the Caps wanted AB and when he chose Nashville the Caps picked Carbery, but I think that's a less likely scenario.

If Taylor isn't brought up as an assistant with us I imagine he will look for other jobs.

You'd think it would be kind of awkward saying Taylor was a finalist for the HC spot and then bringing him up as an assistant

Awkward for Taylor as an also-ran. And awkward for Brunette having to look.over his shoulder at an assistant who was trying to get his job already

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Brunette and Carbery were both coaching in the playoffs so presumably he had to wait until NJ and TOR were out just to see if they were interested. Presumably if they both fell through he would have to decide if he was going with Taylor or just gonna keep Hynes.

I still think the way things played out, that Trotz wanted Carbery, and when he took the Caps Brunette got the next call. Of course it could be the opposite, that the Caps wanted AB and when he chose Nashville the Caps picked Carbery, but I think that's a less likely scenario.

If Taylor isn't brought up as an assistant with us I imagine he will look for other jobs.

You'd think it would be kind of awkward saying Taylor was a finalist for the HC spot and then bringing him up as an assistant

Awkward for Taylor as an also-ran. And awkward for Brunette having to look.over his shoulder at an assistant who was trying to get his job already
TBH in that profession they are probably used to it. Seems like just about every staff has a former head coach or an up and coming guy who was on someone's short list. I would imagine as long as someone like Taylor wasn't actively trying to get Brunette run out to get the job it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

If I had to guess Taylor was probably the 3rd choice, and who know he may not have been on the list until this playoff run.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's a results oriented business. Also, it is well understood to have a very short shelf life. Nashville had been an exception with Trotz coaching for so long, and Lavi sticking around a bit longer than average as well. Which is to say, hockey coaches should be realistic about the profession. It's a job where you can be let go at any time.

That said, a coach should want to surround himself with the best playing and coaching talent possible. It's in everyone's best interest to get the best results. Winning extends the shelf life of the head guy. Winning gets the assistants noticed and on short lists. Having a staff of drooling knucklewalkers might be the no threat option, I suppose, but it also means your run as a head coach in the NHL will be very short, over before it begins. I suspect most head coaches not only don't mind talented or experienced assistants, but prefer it. And even if they don't truly like it, the GM is likely to want a robust coaching staff anyway.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Random 50,000' view hot take:

Brunette doesn't really have a track record as a head coach. But in his season in Florida, he was able to get some serious offensive production out of that team. Presidents' Trophy. #1 in goals... I don't know what he did with New Jersey exactly, but they went from being a lower third team offensively to one of the best in the league after he arrived.

If he is some sort of offensive savant :dunno: , then this move could be a complete reverse of the Lavi to Hynes move. People pining for speed and skill and icing a team that is an offensive threat may be in for a treat.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
If Taylor is brought up and given charge of the PP I hope he insists that Kemell be on the big team roster
Kinda have to agree here. I'll still be surprised if he breaks camp in Nashville, and obviously there are a lot of variables between now and then, but it sure seems like the big club could use a guy scoring at a 40 goal pace (and accelerating) in the AHL.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah if I could get a paid year off I’d be ecstatic. Even if it meant no job at the end of the year. And I love my job. But a paid year off is like a dream. It’s like 13 years worth of normal vacation time all at once! That’s worth taking a little time to look for something new.

hido

Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Nashville
Trotz making it extremely clear in the presser that this hire was all him.

Lots of “Predator Way” talk from Trotz and Brunette. What version of that are we on now?

Reactions: cool beans

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I guess i dont get why there are people upset about the way Trotz is handling the Hynes firing. Hynes still has 1 year of contract that he is going to get paid for. If he didnt have that, sure id understand but he has a full year to figure things out
Sounds like it wasn't handled badly. He told the coaching staff that he was going to explore all options including possibly keeping them and would let them know by the end of May which is when the decision was made.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I am liking what I am hearing so far. Sounds like they want to refocus on defense. Depending on Saros is not a long term strategy for success.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Trotz making it extremely clear in the presser that this hire was all him.

Lots of “Predator Way” talk from Trotz and Brunette. What version of that are we on now?
4th head coach so 4.0 i reckon

Kind of like with Tolvanen. You groom and you groom and then let someone else reap the rewards.

Wonder if Brunette would bring him in as assistant or if karl would even be open to that. Karl has earned a shot somewhere if not here

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

This makes it sound like Taylor will not be an assistant coach with us. Kind of a bummer to lose him but I've gotten increasingly happy with hiring Brunette as I read more about it so it is what it is.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Kind of like with Tolvanen. You groom and you groom and then let someone else reap the rewards.

Sounds like Barry is raising expectations that Taylor will leave the org. This really isn't what you say if you have already decided to make him an assistant here.

Edit... I see others have covered this

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Wasn't able to link it for some reason, but check out this quote from Trotz: (SIAP)

Told his scouts to "take some swings, take some high end swings on some guys.... I can find you 3rd line, 4th line guys, no problem. Go get me some guys that get people out of their seats."

Yes please- I absolutely LOVE that mindset.....

With all the recent changes and the young talent we have coming at forward, it is hard not to be optimistic. The entire outlook for the franchise has changed dramatically in just a few months time

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I love this hire for you.

Brunette is a Q acolyte. Im not sure if he can read the vibe on the bench as well as Q did (yet), but at worst you’re getting a good chunk of the Q view of hockey without the ick.

Reactions: Adz

originalpredfan

Oct 27, 2013
Recent events have me going into the draft and next season with HOPE for the future. Certainly better than than a summer of indifference.

Reactions: PredsV82

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I guess i dont get why there are people upset about the way Trotz is handling the Hynes firing. Hynes still has 1 year of contract that he is going to get paid for. If he didnt have that, sure id understand but he has a full year to figure things out
I think the thought process is that there have been other jobs open and by "dragging out" the process Hynes has been prevented from being a part of these opportunities. While I can understand the argument, he has a contract with the Predators and if he was skeptical of getting brought back and wanted to pursue other opportunities he was free to let Trotz know that or resign.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think the thought process is that there have been other jobs open and by "dragging out" the process Hynes has been prevented from being a part of these opportunities. While I can understand the argument, he has a contract with the Predators and if he was skeptical of getting brought back and wanted to pursue other opportunities he was free to let Trotz know that or resign.
I would be much more sympathetic if he didnt have another year under contract. He is getting paid next season either way. I mean since we are paying him either way could we not in our own rights deny other teams the ability to talk to him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad