Player Discussion John Gilmour

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pionk strikes me as the safest bet to be a 10 year nhler....ada strikes me as having that boom upside you love to see and Gilmour strikes me as a guy with all the tools to be a 2nd pairing guy but who constantly leaves you wanting more....ala kreider.

Pionk strikes me as the safest bet to be a 10 year NHLer despite being the worst of the three, because Girardi ruining everything wasn't enough. ADA strikes me as having that boom upside that he'll hit when he wins a Cup on another team after we gave up on him to play Pionk. Gilmour strikes me as a guy with all the tools to be an effective NHL player who people expect to be Bobby Orr for some reason....ala Kreider.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Pionk needs better coaching as well..he throws everyrhing up and off the glass because of who he plays with. Staal never gives him a place to put a puck. We're his numbers as awful playing with skjei and Gilmour?

Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb to play with staal.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm willing to trade Gilmour. I don't see much of a NHL player, but he showed enough to warrant that he can skate at this level. Some team will bite.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no, ADA is just as soft or even softer. ADA 31 hits in 32 games, Pionk 48 hits in 27 games, Gilmour 25 hits in 27 games.
Hits is a completely subjective stat for a few reasons. First...differwnt arenas count hits more aggressively than others. And then the most important...if you have a puck a lot...youre not going to hit a lot...it sure feels like we have a puck a lot when ada is on the ice.

Reactions: RGY

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Pionk strikes me as the safest bet to be a 10 year NHLer despite being the worst of the three, because Girardi ruining everything wasn't enough. ADA strikes me as having that boom upside that he'll hit when he wins a Cup on another team after we gave up on him to play Pionk. Gilmour strikes me as a guy with all the tools to be an effective NHL player who people expect to be Bobby Orr for some reason....ala Kreider.

I was not able to see that boom upside potential from ADA. to me he was a Gilroy clone.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pionk needs better coaching as well..he throws everyrhing up and off the glass because of who he plays with. Staal never gives him a place to put a puck. We're his numbers as awful playing with skjei and Gilmour?

Someone has to be the sacrificial lamb to play with staal.

Yes.

darko

Feb 16, 2009

Pionk isn't the worst of the 3.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
good luck to him, wherever he ends up, will be UFA when current deal expires

2018-19 AHL First, Second All-Star Teams unveiled | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

The American Hockey League announced today the 2018-19 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams, as voted by AHL coaches, players and media in each of the league’s 31 member cities.
2018-19 AHL First All-Star Team (stats through Apr. 10)
G – Alex Nedeljkovic, Charlotte Checkers (50gp, 33-9-5, 2.25gaa, .916sv%, 4so)
D – John Gilmour, Hartford Wolf Pack (67gp, 20+34=54pts., 5 GWG, 3 OTG)
D – Zach Redmond, Rochester Americans (56gp, 21+29=50pts., +14, 10 PPG, 9 GWG)
LW – Daniel Carr, Chicago Wolves (52gp, 30+41=71pts., +35, 12 PPG, 3 GWG)
C – Carter Verhaeghe, Syracuse Crunch (73gp, 31+46=77pts., +23, 6 PPG, 6 GWG)
RW – Jeremy Bracco, Toronto Marlies (73gp, 21+57=78pts., 7 PPG, 31 PPA)
2018-19 AHL Second All-Star Team (stats through Apr. 10)
G – Shane Starrett, Bakersfield Condors (41gp, 26-7-5, 2.31gaa, .919sv%, 4so)
D – Aaron Ness, Hershey Bears (69gp, 5+46=51pts., +22, 3 PPG, 23 PPA)
D – Ethan Prow, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (72gp, 18+31=49pts., +28, 9 PPG, 3 GWG)
LW – Tyler Benson, Bakersfield Condors (66gp, 14+51=65pts., +22, 22 PPA, 3 GWG)
C – Chris Mueller, Toronto Marlies (59gp, 33+32=65pts., 16 PPG, 8 GWG, 4 OTG)
RW – Andrew Poturalski, Charlotte Checkers (72gp, 23+47=70pts., +16, 2 PPG, 6 GWG)
Each All-Star Team member will receive a custom-designed crystal award in recognition of his selection to the 2018-19 AHL First and Second All-Star Teams.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wish him luck. Don't see him coming back here even if we make him an offer. If I were him I'd test the free agency waters to see if anyone gives him a one-way deal with a real chance to make the team. If he doesn't get any good offers he should explore Europe. He could do very well there and establish himself in a top league in some country.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I wish him luck. Don't see him coming back here even if we make him an offer. If I were him I'd test the free agency waters to see if anyone gives him a one-way deal with a real chance to make the team. If he doesn't get any good offers he should explore Europe. He could do very well there and establish himself in a top league in some country.
The Rangers did a great job making room for young players to play this year. But Gilmour just didn't get a shot. It was a numbers game. There just wasnt enough ice to go around. Not sure there was anything the team could have done much better, either. Would have liked to see him get a little more of a shot though.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Wish him luck but really dont see a stable future in the NHL for him. He will be 26. He has deficiencies in his game that outweigh is speed and offensive ability

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
The other problem with Gilmour is that he is an awful NHL defenseman and a 26 year old prospect. Let another team be intrigued by his great skating and offense. I've seen enough. He doesn't have a position to play in the NHL.

Pionk is somewhat similar to Gilmour. Staal was hurt at least as much by playing with Pionk as the reverse. Staal is at least serviceable as a 3rd pair with a decent partner; although of little value on a rebuilding team. Pionk hasn't shown that that he can play defense at the NHL level all although at 23 he may improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad