Confirmed with Link: John Gilmour To Sabres. 1 year, $700k

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Of all the bad GM decisions, this one isn't really an indictment of Botterill. Gilmour didn't force his way on the roster and they still need to make room for Pilut and Borgen at some point. The pay him like a player that should pass through waivers and if he doesn't, more power to him, hope he has a better opportunity somewhere else.

We may be desperately hoping for a D for F trade. This has no impact on that.
I wasn't making that argument. The GM certainly could have gone with less D depth while they waited for players to get healthy like Bogo and Pilut by addressing it this past summer. But they certainly talked like they wanted to see if Risto and Scandella fit in the mix and may have had a higher opinion of them than people around here.

I just don't think Gilmour means all that much to this organization and anything at this point is a 'trigger' for people that want to complain every move is a terrible one for the GM.

I totally agree. Gilmour going on waivers and clearing/not clearing has no effect on whether a GM has interest in a trade for any of the other Sabres Dmen that actually have trade value. But everything is burning to the ground on Sabres HF these days, even though the team is a bubble team just like we expected in September.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wasn't making that argument. The GM certainly could have gone with less D depth while they waited for players to get healthy like Bogo and Pilut by addressing it this past summer. But they certainly talked like they wanted to see if Risto and Scandella fit in the mix and may have had a higher opinion of them than people around here.

I just don't think Gilmour means all that much to this organization and anything at this point is a 'trigger' for people that want to complain every move is a terrible one for the GM.

Scandella was of interest to at least the Flames up to the start of the season per the various Canadian talking heads. And yes there was also reported interest in Ristolainen but at below what Botterill was willing asking. We also know that some teams were willing to take cap for picks as was demonstrated by the Sens deal with the Rangers. Deals were made, Botterill did not get it done when the field was open.

As for Gilmour, it would have been a surprise if he had been claimed. Minimal games and minimal impact on a struggling team isn’t an endorsement. Other teams are limited on cap space and contract space. He hasn’t had the impact to warrant that claim.

Reactions: joshjull

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
As for Gilmour, it would have been a surprise if he had been claimed. Minimal games and minimal impact on a struggling team isn’t an endorsement. Other teams are limited on cap space and contract space. He hasn’t had the impact to warrant that claim.

No joke. I think Sabres fans think we waved DOUG Gilmour in his prime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad