Confirmed with Link: John Gilmour To Sabres. 1 year, $700k

JJFIVEOH

May 19, 2019
Did Randy Sexton put some sleeping pills in Botterill's drink and take over the phone?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can’t believe we are watching this **** again

I can't believe people are both surprised by it or think that it is good without the substance of NHL-level moves.

I like Gilmour. I think the Amerks PP is going to be f***ing dynamite if he and Redmond can stay healthy. But winning games down there this year is going to be all about sorting out what they have in their collection of defensemen. This means no PP cycles for Bryson or even remotely for Fitzgerald. They still have MacWilliam who is a very good AHL defenseman as well as Gosselin who showed plenty in his late-season work to merit being in the lineup to win, vs. being out of it to get players development cycles.

So... while I like the move, this still means on many nights, the only players in Rochester getting work from a development standpoint are going to be 2 or 3 out of 5 (Borgen, Bryson, Fitzgerald, Hickey, and perhaps a rehabbing Pilut) get game action.

Reactions: ceky

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I can't believe people are both surprised by it or think that it is good without the substance of NHL-level moves.

I like Gilmour. I think the Amerks PP is going to be ****ing dynamite if he and Redmond can stay healthy. But winning games down there this year is going to be all about sorting out what they have in their collection of defensemen. This means no PP cycles for Bryson or even remotely for Fitzgerald. They still have MacWilliam who is a very good AHL defenseman as well as Gosselin who showed plenty in his late-season work to merit being in the lineup to win, vs. being out of it to get players development cycles.

So... while I like the move, this still means on many nights, the only players in Rochester getting work from a development standpoint are going to be 2 or 3 out of 5 (Borgen, Bryson, Fitzgerald, Hickey, and perhaps a rehabbing Pilut) get game action.

Thank you... for finding an angle I hadn’t even considered yet.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thank you... for finding an angle I hadn’t even considered yet.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Your welcome. I am just a ray of f***ing sunshine. Not to worry though, injury will likely dictate who plays more than anything else.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I think he makes the Buffalo roster if there's any question of McCabe's health (there usually is) when the regular season starts.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I was looking for this thread yesterday because I couldn’t remember how we got him. I went 4 pages in but guess I didn’t dig deep enough :laugh:

Anyway, I’ve been impressed with this kid so far. His speed is eye-popping. I’d love to see him get a decent look on the big club over Nelson.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Of all the bad GM decisions, this one isn't really an indictment of Botterill. Gilmour didn't force his way on the roster and they still need to make room for Pilut and Borgen at some point. The pay him like a player that should pass through waivers and if he doesn't, more power to him, hope he has a better opportunity somewhere else.

We may be desperately hoping for a D for F trade. This has no impact on that.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Of all the bad GM decisions, this one isn't really an indictment of Botterill. Gilmour didn't force his way on the roster and they still need to make room for Pilut and Borgen at some point. The pay him like a player that should pass through waivers and if he doesn't, more power to him, hope he has a better opportunity somewhere else.

We may be desperately hoping for a D for F trade. This has no impact on that.

How is the underpinnings of this move — not clearing out a defenseman or two over the summer prior to everyone locking up their cap space — not on him? He laid this foundation.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
How is the underpinnings of this move — not clearing out a defenseman or two over the summer prior to everyone locking up their cap space — not on him? He laid this foundation.
I wasn't making that argument. The GM certainly could have gone with less D depth while they waited for players to get healthy like Bogo and Pilut by addressing it this past summer. But they certainly talked like they wanted to see if Risto and Scandella fit in the mix and may have had a higher opinion of them than people around here.

I just don't think Gilmour means all that much to this organization and anything at this point is a 'trigger' for people that want to complain every move is a terrible one for the GM.

Reactions: Eichel9

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Incompetent cap guy running the Sabres. This to go along with incompetent dice rolling junior scout with well known hockey uncle who ran it before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad