John Gibson

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I still think that Gibson needs time...but I see no reason why that time can't be in a role in the NHL. He can grow his game playing against NHL pros and be ready for the playoffs after 40-50 games in addition to these 6.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
You can see the athleticism and reflexes he has, extremely gifted goaltender. But he can stand to improve his rebound control and his lateral movement. Few times I thought he didn't challenge the shooter enough too.

This guy will be a great goalie at some point, but I think he needs some more time in the AHL. Agreed...Go with Andersen and a quality 1b guy. I don't think it's necessary to sign Miller to a long deal because Gibson will be ready quite soon.

Govment Cheese

Groooovy
Jul 8, 2010
I still think that Gibson needs time...but I see no reason why that time can't be in a role in the NHL. He can grow his game playing against NHL pros and be ready for the playoffs after 40-50 games in addition to these 6.

The plan may start as splitting time between the pipes, but what if Andersen gets on a hot streak? Do you ride the hot goaltender or do you keep splitting ice time because it was the plan? Gibson needs ice time and the only way to insure that is the AHL.
You have Andersen under contract for two more years. Sign a backup for a year and stash Gibson in the AHL for call-ups. Then next year you bring Gibson up, he and Andersen can fight for ice time/#1.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I don't mind going next year with Andersen and a veteran goalie as other posters stated.

Let Gibson develop properly in the AHL for at least one more year, it will only help him.

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I see Gibson splitting time between AHL and NHL next season, playing around 20-30 games with the Ducks.

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
I think he will be ready in a couple years, maybe the next one. People bashing a 20yo because he let in 3 high % shots are idiots.

OCSportsfan

Sep 30, 2011
It would help him to spend a couple more years in the AHL. No need to rush him. I think you will see Andersen and a vet goalie like the Fasth contract.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The plan may start as splitting time between the pipes, but what if Andersen gets on a hot streak? Do you ride the hot goaltender or do you keep splitting ice time because it was the plan? Gibson needs ice time and the only way to insure that is the AHL.
You have Andersen under contract for two more years. Sign a backup for a year and stash Gibson in the AHL for call-ups. Then next year you bring Gibson up, he and Andersen can fight for ice time/#1.

While I would be fine with this approach, and it could well happen, I'm not so sure it will. BB already stated how he thought Gibson was capable of starting big games like SJ and the the LAK games. And while he at times looked like a rookie, he didn't look like Rob Laurie either. I think he will go to camp and be given the opportunity to be there all year. If things don't go well in camp then I think BM goes looking for a journeyman stop gap.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i'd like to see miller brought in to start with andersen as backup

give gibson another full season to develop and then bring him up again for 2015-2016

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yeah, he actually failed in rather spectacular fashion in the playoffs. He's young, hopefully he reaches the potential that's clearly there, but he's not ready yet.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Any vet goalie that's willing to come in for one season knowing he's a place holder for Gibson won't be very good. Miller and Halak will want term and a place they can be the guy. I mean we can go with Andersen as the starter but I'd rather see how Gibson starts the year.

Let's not kid ourselves here, that kid is special and he got hung out to dry last night. I think he needs to learn to get better at the NHL level. Split time with Andersen and if things aren't going as planned send him down and acquire a vet to backup Andersen. I'd rather see if this kid can be as great as he seems he can be before committing to a vet.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
19. Watching 20-year-old John Gibson have his roughest night as a pro in Game 7 against the Kings reminded me of 21-year-old Chris Osgood's giveaway that led to San Jose's monumental upset of Detroit in 1994. "I remember being devastated, disappointed," Osgood said Sunday. "It was a great opportunity as a young goalie. You think you can win the Stanley Cup at a young age like Patrick Roy and Grant Fuhr. I grew up idolizing those guys...You lose Game 7 as a heavy favourite on a deciding goal where you made the mistake."

20. But Osgood, who was very tough mentally, moved past it. "The next day I said, 'I can do this, if this is the worst that happens it's not that bad...If I can get over this, I can handle anything.' When you're 21, you think you can handle everything, but you need people you can talk to. Ken Holland was really good at putting things in perspective...he steered me in the right direction. He told me I wasn't supposed to be here, don't let one mistake define who you are going to be."

21. Osgood added his situation is similar to Gibson's because both had young teammates who were excited to be in the NHL despite the loss. "He didn't look any different to me than he did in other games," he said. "Sometimes it just happens at the worst possible time. I loved [Gibson] when scouting him. He makes it look easy, that's how you know he is good...Use [bad games] to get better."

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...crease-wont-ease-penguins-roster-dilemma.html

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Gibson will be fine, however, I'm much for comfortable with him getting full time in the "A" next season as opposed to being a back up to Andersen. In my perfect world, it would be Anderesen/vet backup and Gibson full time in the "A" to be ready if need be if he continues to tear up the A.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I`d be ok with Thomas only in coach role... the guy has looked bad in the games i`ve seen in NHL and WC`s this year. If only Giggy would still have something in him... :bow:

On a second thought, maybe Jiggy is interested coming back in some role as a coach? Jiggy and Roloson (current goalie coach) both have had multiple outstanding playoff performances in the ofseasons - they would be amazing to have around, although i`m not sure if 2 goalie coaches would work...

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
I`d be ok with Thomas only in coach role... the guy has looked bad in the games i`ve seen in NHL and WC`s this year. If only Giggy would still have something in him... :bow:

On a second thought, maybe Jiggy is interested coming back in some role as a coach? Jiggy and Roloson (current goalie coach) both have had multiple outstanding playoff performances in the ofseasons - they would be amazing to have around, although i`m not sure if 2 goalie coaches would work...

If Jiggy comes to Anaheim, that would complete the trifecta of coaching staff in Anaheim. Neidermayer, Giggy as goalie coach, Teemu wants to stay with the organization - power play coach?

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
If Jiggy comes to Anaheim, that would complete the trifecta of coaching staff in Anaheim. Neidermayer, Giggy as goalie coach, Teemu wants to stay with the organization - power play coach?

Yeah, PP coach could be an option for Teemu maybe. Or skating, shooting coach. He could help to explore the opposing goalie weeknesses too. There`s a lot of things Teemu could be good at.

Also Marchant is still in the organisation as amateur scout. I think it`s good to have former players in the organisation, that helps to grow the reputation and reliability for the franchise, imo.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Marchant is director of player development.

Not sure how Teemu would fare as a coach. Just because he was great on the PP does not mean he would be able to run a competent one - he sees the game much differently to most players and relied on his superior instincts to be as good as he was.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Marchant is director of player development.

Not sure how Teemu would fare as a coach. Just because he was great on the PP does not mean he would be able to run a competent one - he sees the game much differently to most players and relied on his superior instincts to be as good as he was.

Just like Scotty. But they both are still good to have around for mentoring

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm sure it'll also help morale a little bit, having him around. Even if he is the Head Coach of Hugs and Encouragement

:laugh: exactly. Or the ''head of ketchup operations'' :sarcasm:

His drive for hockey still is tremendous and for a team like we have - with up and coming new guys - to have that kind a legend around can only help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad