John Gibson

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hey guys, I know Gibson has only played in 2 NHL games, but I thought he looked tremendous.. especially VS. San Jose. I know Anaheim currently has Hiller, Andersen and Gibson as pretty much their 3 goalies and there are alot of rumors with Hiller getting the boot after this year and possibly Ryan Miller even coming to Anaheim. Whats everyone's gut feeling with Gibson next season? As much as Id love to see him in the NHL, I think he will definately spend next season in the AHL again unfortunately. I just can't see Anaheim taking a chance with an Andersen/Gibson duo if Hiller is gone and they dont get Miller

Last edited by a moderator:

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
As of now AHL. Unless he steals the show in the playoffs, he should definitely get another year in the AHL IMO.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
ya ill be curious for next season. Never know what could happen if he steals the show in the playoffs. I mean, that was a pretty big statement by Boudreau starting him in that huge game VS the sharks and he didnt dissapoint me one bit. Look at Carey Price, he was 20 years old when he stuck in the NHL(played 10 AHL games that season)

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
I think we're gonna sign a backup for Andersen and let Gibson play in AHL, right now its more important that he gets minutes in goal than being a backup in NHL. And he will get some NHL games next season too. We gotta groom him perfectly.

btlaffin

Deathbat
Jun 30, 2013
I'd rather him not be a backup. It's not ideal for his development, and what happens if he outplays Andersen? It would be much better to sign a backup for a year, and let Andersen play without any controversy.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Conventional wisdom would suggest we sign a backup for Andersen and Gibson starts the year in the AHL and only comes up when there's an injury. But we really don't know until after the playoffs. If he continues to play and play well in the playoffs, who knows? What if he has a Patrick Roy or Ron Hextall type playoffs? What if he's actually as good already as we hope he'll be? As much as we all say that's crazy and you can't rush prospects and it'll be stupid blah, blah, blah. We just don't know yet. This kid surprises me at every turn. Did anyone expect him to step in at the world championships last year and do what he did? Did anyone expect him to play so much this year and so well? Did anyone expect him to play at all this season and not look out of place? We have to see how the next few weeks (hopefully) play out. You never know.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
For his sake, I hope the AHL. They're gonna give Andersen the reins unless Gibson pulls some magic out of his ass and leads us to a Stanley Cup final. It's better for him to get regular starts in the AHL than to split time. I mean, participating in NHL practices can't hurt but the guarantee of being a starter can only help.

Really happy that's the majority opinion. Enough of this youth movement nonsense

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
He's been good, but still needs some polish to his game for sure. I would hope he starts in the AHL with maybe a few call ups.

paine

Jun 4, 2007
AHL. He needs more work. The potential is there, but you can tell he's not ready.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He played well for the circumstances of his recent call up. But he didn't play so well that he wouldn't benefit from another season in Norfolk. Anything short of a Roy run and he needs to go back to the A.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
AHL. He needs more work. The potential is there, but you can tell he's not ready.

Truth. He is showing he has the tools but he has work to do. It would not hurt him one bit to spend an entire season in the AHL. A little bit of development never hurt.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I'm not convinced he'll spend an entire season in the AHL. But I think he will spend the majority of the time there.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
Looked shaky tonight against Colorado.

I'd like to see him spend another year in the AHL

he hasn't really had a start yet where hes looked solid throughout. definitely wouldn't hurt for him to spend another season down in the A.

he's only 20. like damn, hes progressing pretty darn fast as it is.

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
If Hiller is suffering from Vertigo, They have no choice but to have him on the bench for the post season, but next season he needs to be the AHL

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No point in stapling him to the bench next year. Goalies can always use extra seasoning in the AHL and he could still learn a lot down there.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
he hasn't really had a start yet where hes looked solid throughout. definitely wouldn't hurt for him to spend another season down in the A.

he's only 20. like damn, hes progressing pretty darn fast as it is.

He will turn 21 soon, but yes, I agree. The truth is he's not ready for regular responsibilities, but if he was drafted by another team he certainly COULD be a backup (depending on the team) but he probably wouldn't be a reliable one. But on the other hand, the fact that he can play as well as he does (he's not quite as far off as I thought) at his age is HUGE. The hype is justified. Goalies older than him have met their debuts with much poorer results.

mighty Stanley Duck

Feb 1, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
AHL...no need for rushing him, to important for us.
He already prove that skill, talent is there, staff now need to be smart and make right moves for his career, he can become a lock no.1 goalie for us in future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad