John Gibson or William Nylander

John Gibson or William Nylander

• John Gibson

• William Nylander

Results are only viewable after voting.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
goalies are the least valuable position because of how much risk there is. You might think you have an elite goalie, and then all of a sudden they put up a .904 sv% and .894 sv% in back to back seasons

Or you sign 2 times Vezina winner for 10+ millions to get .900 goaltending.
And once you have highly paid underperforming goalie you doomed since you cant do anything about it. At least for skaters you can move them around lienup and scale down their responsibility.

That being said with Gibson contract and age he can become agian one of most valueable goalies in the league. So maybe its worth a risk.
I would go with Nylander for this poll though.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Didn’t nylander toss up a random unpredictable 29 point season ? Idk I also have a hard time trusting nylander to lead a team sure he’s great but he’s also like the leafs 5th most dangerous weapon, depending what rielly shows up to the game
I'd say Nylander is 4th right now. He's playing nearly 2 mins less then last year. He's barely playing 2nd line minutes. Nylander always gets the least amount of touches of our "big 5" Whether on ev or pp. He generally has to work the most to get his points.

Tavares has been pretty meeger all year. Showing flashes of prime JT and the best skating of his career but then he just is bad for some stretches. Nylander bring it every night at least.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'd say Nylander is 4th right now. He's playing nearly 2 mins less then last year. He's barely playing 2nd line minutes. Nylander always gets the least amount of touches of our "big 5" Whether on ev or pp. He generally has to work the most to get his points.

Tavares has been pretty meeger all year. Showing flashes of prime JT and the best skating of his career but then he just is bad for some stretches. Nylander bring it every night at least.
Ya when I do watch the leafs Tavares seems somewhat underwhelming, at least based on what he makes.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Ya when I do watch the leafs Tavares seems somewhat underwhelming, at least based on what he makes.
Yeah, it's not looking great offensively(67 point pace per 82) for JT. The only redeeming thing is that he's added a psychical element to his game this year. And he has been average to above average defensively but for 11mil yikes.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Gibson is the better player, but Nylander has more trade value

Is that really the case though? There's hardly any data on what Gibson would be worth. I can't remember the last time goalie like that on a reasonable long-term deal was traded.

I certainly wouldn't think so based on the fact that it's harder to find a Gibson than it is to find a winger to play behind your star players. Guys like Toffoli come up in FA sometimes, every now and then you may see trades like Evander Kane.. but when it comes to goalies it's always older guys, tandem goalies, unproven or 1b's.

I guess the way things have been going in Anaheim recently probably hurt his trade value a bit, but this is not just any goalie we're talking about. Before the Ducks fell of a cliff he was considered a top 5 goaltender in the world. Many thought he's better than Vasi.

If a team believes in him and have the assets i'd imagine they would give up more than what anyone pays to get Nylander. Or at the very least, similar package.

For example Carolina have Reimer and Mrazek up next season.. seems like the perfect opportunity to fix their biggest hole. If the Ducks say let's talk you already know even mentioning anything less than a 1st + solid prospect/good young player and that phone is hanging up faster than you can say cheese.

I think it's fair to say Nylander is easier to trade, but i really do think given the right trading partner who wants a goalie badly enough, Gibson will return a really nice package, one of the biggest ones we've seen a goalie return in a long time.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yeah, it's not looking great offensively(67 point pace per 82) for JT. The only redeeming thing is that he's added a psychical element to his game this year. And he has been average to above average defensively but for 11mil yikes.
Ya I guess he really doesn’t have to dominate offensively with marner and matthews on top line, but still that 11 mil is a bit rough. I didn’t particularly love the signing when it first happened and he more I watch the leafs the more I dislike that signing.... nothing really against Tavares as I think he’s be great on a team where he is the top line center

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Goalies are fickle AF. I'll take the player who I know is good value for his cap hit and is going into his prime has probably a 30G+30-40A guy for good contract. I feel like goalies are easier to find than a good top 6 player at a decent/fair hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad