John Gibson or William Nylander

John Gibson or William Nylander

• John Gibson

• William Nylander

Results are only viewable after voting.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
as a habs fan we have absolutely no need for another goalie. So Nylander.

In a vacuum, it's closer.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Since the OP asked about my team specifically and not necessarily "value", I'd take Nylander for the Pens.

I'm fine with Jarry/DeSmith, so even though Gibson's an upgrade, it's not really a position of dire need. Adding Nylander, however, would suddenly push a guy like Kapanen down to the third line, giving the Pens a really, really deep top 9.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Nylander could steal 5 games out of 82 games for teams. 5 games where you could catch yourself saying, wow Nylander is the best player on the ice. Gibson could probably steal 15 games on his own

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Nylander has grown as a player. He went from the Don Cherry typical Swede to a guy who plays hard most nights. Sometimes he is frustrating as shit to watch when he plays soft. Then Keefe sits his ass for a period and he is a monster on the puck.

Gibson had some elite seasons but he is owed 6 more years at his cap hit and has put up backup to 3rd string numbers 2 seasons in a row. Some might take Gibson if they really needed a goalie, but for most fans you have to think you take the guy worth his deal of the guy who COULD be worth his deal.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
goalies are the least valuable position because of how much risk there is. You might think you have an elite goalie, and then all of a sudden they put up a .904 sv% and .894 sv% in back to back seasons

they're riskier to invest in but an elite goalie is far more valuable. St. Louis won the Stanley Cup because they found a goalie. If they had stuck with Allen and instead added a 70ish point winger like Nylander, they don't get that cup.

Reactions: Garthinater

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
they're riskier to invest in but an elite goalie is far more valuable. St. Louis won the Stanley Cup because they found a goalie. If they had stuck with Allen and instead added a 70ish point winger like Nylander, they don't get that cup.

If they pan out.

Is Binnington actually an elite goalie, or did he have an elite run that year? We're kind of seeing since that Cup run just how unpredictable goalies are with how Binnington's performance has been since then.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
An elite goalie is worth more than an elite 1st line winger. I don't think I'd refer to either of these players as elite, and Nylander absolutely has more trade value of the two today. Gibson was an elite goalie a few years ago, but hasn't been that player for a year and a half now, with a long and expensive contract. He's got a worse save percentage than Bernier on the Red Wings, or Ullmark on the Sabres, or than Andersen ever did for the years that the Leafs D was a meme.

If he bounces back and is elite again, he's worth more than Nylander. But if he doesn't, 6.4m with term is an anchor deal for a goalie. I voted Nylander, because I would not trade Nylander for Gibson today. I would absolutely trade for Gibson though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Question is kinda weird, maybe should have who would you choose to start a franchise, or who is more valuable to a team?

This way is awkward for any team that has a solid goalie

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Nylander has more trade value. but there is an argument Gibson is more valuable on ice.
Pretty much these goalie's just don't return anything close to what you'd think. Skaters though could be less valuable on the ice will always return more than the goalie. Roy at his peak returned 3 NHL regulars but not a star among them. Heck Keane was even sent with Roy a solid role player.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Oilers:
I'd probably take Gibson. 27 year old top-end goalie? Yes please.

And I'm a big fan of Nylander. He'd look fantastic on RW with any one of McDavid, Nuge, or Draisaitl (or some combination of the three). But at the end of the day there's only so many top-6 spots, and the team has holes elsewhere.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Pretty much these goalie's just don't return anything close to what you'd think. Skaters though could be less valuable on the ice will always return more than the goalie. Roy at his peak returned 3 NHL regulars but not a star among them. Heck Keane was even sent with Roy a solid role player.
yeah exactly. i think Gibson could be better on ice but i have no doubt in my mind Nylander has higher trade value.

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Gibson of 3 years ago >>>> Nylander. Gibson right now is Freddy level bad even with a bad Ducks team. I've watched enough Ducks game this year to know that he's just gotten his clock cleaned out on multiple occasions and let in absolutely atrocious goals. I wouldn't give up Willy for this version of Gibson. 3 years ago when he was absolutely dominant? Sure, I'd throw Nylander ++ at that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad