Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This start has forced Carlson into the league wide conversation. He is largely a forgettable player that most fans want to overlook in favor of one of their favorites.

Now they have to come up with reasons why he's not that good. Its really funny.

Hes always been a good player.

He had 68 and then 70 points last two years with a Cup in between what were his Norris finishes?

Probably deserved it last year over Giordano 70 points off your franchises first Cup > 74 coming off a truly embarrassing year. 2019 playoffs don't factor in of course.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

He had 68 and then 70 points last two years with a Cup in between what were his Norris finishes?

Probably deserved it last year over Giordano 70 points off your franchises first Cup > 74 coming off a truly embarrassing year. 2019 playoffs don't factor in of course.

IIRC Carlson was 4th and 5th in Norris voting. That's pretty good considering his ranking among the fans is at or outside of the top 10.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
16. When asked about it during a taping of the 31 Thoughts podcast, he rolled his eyes and sneered at the mention.
His deception fooled Frederik Andersen in Toronto. One of the ways he was challenged in practice was not being allowed to pass or shoot the puck to where he was looking. “We knew he could hit the target if he saw it,” head coach Todd Reirden said. “Could he do it if he didn’t see it?”
Well, we’re learning the answer is yes.
31 Thoughts: Clock ticking for struggling Flames - Sportsnet.ca
This reminds me of when I'd play NHL 94 vs the computer with my goalie pulled the whole game. Couple of other Caps things in there.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Chelis Chili

Proud HFB member since 21 years [sic!]
Dec 26, 2002
Hockeytown
CARLSON CONTINUE TO LEAD THE WAY FOR THE CAPITALS

John Carlson
(0-2—2) assisted on Alex Ovechkin’s 254th regular-season power-play goal and Braden Holtby posted 32 saves as the League-leading Capitals (16-3-4, 36 points) improved to 9-1-1 in the past 11 games.

* Carlson (8-26—34) collected his 25th and 26th assists of 2019-20 to become the sixth different defenseman since 1979-80 to require 23 or fewer team games to record his 25th assist of a season.

CarlsonT-19124005.png

* The only other defenseman to accomplish the feat prior to 1979-80 was Hockey Hall of Fame member Bobby Orr, who did so on five occasions - highlighted by his 1969-70 campaign, in which he registered his 25th assist in just his 16th team game.

Jun 15, 2007
Johnny4Norris is over

Johnny4Hart

What Carlson is doing as a defenseman is more impressive than what Drai or Mack are doing as forwards. Plus you know, first place.

Reactions: txpd and Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Johnny4Norris is over

Johnny4Hart

What Carlson is doing as a defenseman is more impressive than what Drai or Mack are doing as forwards. Plus you know, first place.

His last 3 seasons really. This year is the only way Carlson could get in your face about the quality of his game but he's been this good for a while. I think Reirden is pushing him to just do the offense part of his game more.

Ive gotten to where Reirden rubs me the wrong way but as a defenseman coach he is clearly on a level of his own.

Jun 15, 2007
Ive gotten to where Reirden rubs me the wrong way but as a defenseman coach he is clearly on a level of his own.

Interesting. Care to elaborate on what exactly you don't like about Reirden?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I feel like Reirden is missing that something that says “I’m the guy” behind this bench, in charge of the team. Strategy and defensive development guru’ism is unquestionably strong....dunno for me, maybe his demeanor seems lacking at times....that’s my only qualms with him so far.

there was one look on his face last night where I couldn’t tell if he wanted to cry or was confused after a goal against....but overall I like him well enough to be happy.

Oh, and Jc74 is great lol.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I watch all of his pressers. He is really self centered or at minimum doesn't realize that he comes across as self centered. He talks in pressers about himself as a coach. He talks about himself. Maybe I am not putting it the right way. Ive not noticed other coaches, even Torts, do that.
Its not anything to do with his coaching except to say that if that translates to the players, its going to shorten his tenure.

As a coach, I like him. I think he is the Mitch Korn of defensemen. I just wonder about how self centered he seems.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I feel like Reirden is missing that something that says “I’m the guy” behind this bench, in charge of the team. Strategy and defensive development guru’ism is unquestionably strong....dunno for me, maybe his demeanor seems lacking at times....that’s my only qualms with him so far.

there was one look on his face last night where I couldn’t tell if he wanted to cry or was confused after a goal against....but overall I like him well enough to be happy.

Oh, and Jc74 is great lol.

I watch all of his pressers. He is really self centered or at minimum doesn't realize that he comes across as self centered. He talks in pressers about himself as a coach. He talks about himself. Maybe I am not putting it the right way. Ive not noticed other coaches, even Torts, do that.
Its not anything to do with his coaching except to say that if that translates to the players, its going to shorten his tenure.

As a coach, I like him. He clearly coached the team last season with the fact of the lenth of the season during the cup run as a focus of how to manage the team. The style they play now is what he wanted to play last season but didn't feel like that was a good idea at the time. I think he is the Mitch Korn of defensemen. I just wonder about how self centered he seems.
This is all fascinating to me. I find him not at all self-centered, but rather self-aware and meticulous. He recognizes and acknowledges who's responsible for what and owns his decisions/choices. When I hear him talk about himself it always comes across as him making clear that he made these choices and is responsible for the outcome, good or bad. He talks a lot about accountability. He also has a tremendous sense of his players strengths and weaknesses but never overemphasizes the latter publicly. I've been so impressed with the tone of his pressers and the obvious careful thought that goes into his game-planning. He's obviously a brainiac rather than a firebrand, but I find his approach so refreshing.

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007

As a coach, I like him. I think he is the Mitch Korn of defensemen. I just wonder about how self centered he seems.

Interesting. Haven't bothered to watch a presser, ever so I don't know what to make of this.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is all fascinating to me. I find him not at all self-centered, but rather self-aware. He recognizes and acknowledges who's responsible for what and owns his decisions/choices. When I hear him talk about himself it always comes across as him making clear that he made these choices and is responsible for the outcome, good or bad. He talks a lot about accountability. He also has a tremendous sense of his players strengths and weaknesses but never overemphasizes the latter publicly. I've been so impressed with the tone of his pressers and the obvious careful thought that goes into his game-planning. He's obviously a brainiac rather than a firebrand, but I find his approach so refreshing.

That could be. Its an impression. I said he rubs me the wrong way. These things are fluid. I certainly am not saying I don't like him

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Interesting. Haven't bothered to watch a presser, ever so I don't know what to make of this.

I have the NHL app on my ROKU. Reirden has a post game presser and a post practice presser after each. Somedays there are post morning skate pressers. Yesterday he ducked the question on if Backstrom had been hurt in the last game. He ducked it twice. That means he was playing with it already. The day before he said that there was going to be a lot of player movement the next day. You can get quite a lot of information from these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: 895

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That could be. Its an impression. I said he rubs me the wrong way. These things are fluid. I certainly am not saying I don't like him
But you did say you thought it would shorten his tenure. I'm sure we won't get the full info when he is eventually done in DC, but it's interesting to speculate.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But you did say you thought it would shorten his tenure. I'm sure we won't get the full info when he is eventually done in DC, but it's interesting to speculate.

That's not exactly what I said. I said if it translates to the players. I said if for a reason. This could be just the way he talks to the media. I don't know. I am certainly not remotely making a judgement against him on that.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
That's not exactly what I said. I said if it translates to the players. I said if for a reason. This could be just the way he talks to the media. I don't know. I am certainly not remotely making a judgement against him on that.
fair enough. i just find it fascinating how 2 people can hear/read the same thing and take such different interpretations away. it's what i do for a living too (editor) so it's just interesting to me.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
fair enough. i just find it fascinating how 2 people can hear/read the same thing and take such different interpretations away. it's what i do for a living too (editor) so it's just interesting to me.

Not really. We both heard the same thing and you heard him taking responsibility while I only went as far as him talking about himself. In both cases we thought it was unusual.

Reactions: Calicaps

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I have the NHL app on my ROKU. Reirden has a post game presser and a post practice presser after each. Somedays there are post morning skate pressers. Yesterday he ducked the question on if Backstrom had been hurt in the last game. He ducked it twice. That means he was playing with it already. The day before he said that there was going to be a lot of player movement the next day. You can get quite a lot of information from these things.

Sorry for beating dead horse here but you were against Backy being injured, doc. Maybe you need to update your medical license! :P

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
John Carlson after 31 games:

Entire league:
Goals: 11 (tied for 30th)
Assists: 32 (3rd, 2 behind Draisatl)
+/-: +20 (1st)
GWG: 4 (tied for 5th)

All D's:
Goals: 11 (1st, 1 more than the 2nd)
Assists: 32 (1st, 11 more than the 2nd)
+/-: +20 (1st)
ESP: 30 (1st, 12 more than the 2nd)
PPP: 13 (1st, tied)
GWG: 4 (1st)

Just Norris or the Hart too? He's been ridiculous and it's not just this season.

Since the start of last season he has 113 points in 111 games. Most by any D and it's not even close. 21 point gap between him and the 3rd who is Rielly.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Right. He is just not flashy and top of mind which is why he doesn't do better on the fan scale. 5th in Norris voting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad