Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hes got a shot again at it next year. He was scoring and playing D in the first half... its just for whatever reason, the whole fricken' team collapsed for the second half. But hes got a real Norris-calibre season in him.

I think he will have a chance but will need a legit partner. If he is playing Fehervary, I am fairly confident that Laviolette is going to pull his offense back and have him prioritizing supporting his partner and concentrating on defense. I expect that Lavy will pull Carlson back regardless. Reirden on several occasions made it sound like he was pushing Carlson more aggressively to the offense this season than the past 2.

We will see

Reactions: tenken00

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Piggybacking off my earlier post...

Mr. Well, Actually here.

What exactly are the credentials for getting a vote and how did this clown get one? Analytics and projections writer for The Athletic. Can’t wait to not read his “explanation” where he puts 85 charts and graphs to try and prove a point that he’s smart.

Seems like he planned this all out entirely to try and generate clicks on his article tomorrow. Gross

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Congratulations on Carlson on making his first NHL First All-Star team though!

NHL names 2019-20 All-Star teams

2019-20 NHL First All-Star Team

G: Connor Hellebuyck, Winnipeg Jets
D: John Carlson, Washington Capitals
D: Roman Josi, Nashville Predators
C: Leon Draisaitl, Edmonton Oilers
RW: David Pastrnak, Boston Bruins
LW: Artemi Panarin, New York Rangers

2019-20 NHL Second All-Star Team

G: Tuukka Rask, Boston Bruins
D: Victor Hedman, Tampa Bay Lightning
D: Alex Pietrangelo, St. Louis Blues
C: Nathan MacKinnon, Colorado Avalanche
RW: Nikita Kucherov, Tampa Bay Lightning
LW: Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins
Wait, they left Ovie off of BOTH the first and second teams? Yikes.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Wait, they left Ovie off of BOTH the first and second teams? Yikes.

Ovie was 3rd in voting:

LEFT WING

Pts., (1st-2nd-3rd), Career All-Star Selections
1. ARTEMI PANARIN, NYR, 823, (160-7-2), 1 First Team, 1 Second Team
2. Brad Marchand, BOS, 354, (2-95-59), 1 First Team, 2 Second Team
3. Alex Ovechkin, WSH, 275, (7-63-51)
4. Jonathan Huberdeau, FLA, 34, (0-1-31)
5. Kyle Connor, WPG, 29, (0-3-20)
6. Max Pacioretty, VGK, 4, (0-0-4)
7. J.T. Miller, VAN, 1, (0-0-1)
7. David Perron, STL, 1, (0-0-1)

And oddly enough got a vote for RW...

RIGHT WING

Pts., (1st-2nd-3rd), Career All-Star Selections

1. DAVID PASTRNAK, BOS, 837, (166-2-1), 1 First Team, 0 Second Team
2. Nikita Kucherov, TBL, 399, (2-114-47), 2 First Team, 2 Second Team
3. Patrick Kane, CHI, 260, (1-51-102)
4. Mark Stone, VGK, 14, (0-2-8)
5. Mitchell Marner, TOR, 6, (0-0-6)
6. Jack Eichel, BUF, 1, (0-0-1)
6. Alex Ovechkin, WSH, 1, (0-0-1)
6. Bryan Rust, PIT, 1, (0-0-1)
6. Teuvo Teravainen, CAR, 1, (0-0-1)
6. Mika Zibanejad, NYR, 1, (0-0-1)

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Some guy left three winners off his ballet, and somebody else thinks Ovie is a RW? My confidence in voting awards was already low, but now it’s just shot.

I wish they'd just make all the ballots publicly available. You wanna make a homer vote for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve it, or vote strategically by leaving a guy off the ballot entirely if you think he's gonna beat your favorite, or show that you haven't actually followed hockey in the last 6 years by voting for Ovie as a RW, fine, but everyone's gonna know about it. I think that'd get these guys to take it more seriously. Would also take some wind out of the sails of the guys who publicize their weird picks just to farm clicks for an article the next day.

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I wish they'd just make all the ballots publicly available. You wanna make a homer vote for a guy who clearly doesn't deserve it, or vote strategically by leaving a guy off the ballot entirely if you think he's gonna beat your favorite, or show that you haven't actually followed hockey in the last 6 years by voting for Ovie as a RW, fine, but everyone's gonna know about it. I think that'd get these guys to take it more seriously. Would also take some wind out of the sails of the guys who publicize their weird picks just to farm clicks for an article the next day.

I think the votes are public if you look for them. For example Norris voting:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ryan Ellis.

He's another legit top-pairing guy.

This is kind of my point. Ryan Ellis or Healthy scratch Michal Kempny? Ryan Ellis or Christian Djoos? I think that too often we conclude that Kempny is good because he is skating with Carlson rather than Carlson is better for having to do all he does with Kempny as his partner

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

"Fear the Fin" lol that's a joke right? That's the equivalent of allowing someone from Japers/RMNB/NovaCaps vote.

I've never really researched who votes for these awards but I think they should definitely thin the herd or add a layer of player voting for pretty much every award. There's very clearly bias when Pittsburgh writers are giving Letang votes for the Norris.

Also, FYI here's a list of every single vote:

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
"Fear the Fin" lol that's a joke right? That's the equivalent of allowing someone from Japers/RMNB/NovaCaps vote.

I've never really researched who votes for these awards but I think they should definitely thin the herd or add a layer of player voting for pretty much every award. There's very clearly bias when Pittsburgh writers are giving Letang votes for the Norris.

Also, FYI here's a list of every single vote:

Yeah its weird. These voters are 99% from large credible news/media organizations and for some reason there are like a few randomly from something like "Fear the Fin" or "Oilers Nation".

Reactions: Ginger Papa

tenken00

Jan 29, 2010
I trust the opinion of bloggers more than the likes of Steve Simmons, Ken Campbell, Pierre McGuire, etc.

True. Makes me wonder if we should just make our own blog out of HFCaps members. It would be... very interesting at least.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
And I'd have left Carlson off my ballot too. He's still a good player but his defensive impact is so bad that his gaudy point totals don't really put him in contention for the league's best defenseman this year. Off the top of my head I'd put Josi, Hedman, Pietrangelo, Slavin, and McAvoy ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad