Player Discussion John Carlson - Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Isn't this kind of an issue for a D? Seems like an important job is handling 1v1 situations and cancelling your man when necessary. Not sure I'd agree he does everything well and is consistent if that frequently happens.

1v1 defense on the rush is one of many things that a defenseman is responsible for. The fact that he has been burned a few times in that aspect doesn't even come close to negating all of the other things he does consistently well. Where else would you say he struggles?

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
1v1 defense on the rush is one of many things that a defenseman is responsible for. The fact that he has been burned a few times in that aspect doesn't even come close to negating all of the other things he does consistently well. Where else would you say he struggles?

I don't necessarily think he struggles badly in any other areas. He's good, I like him alot. But to consider him our best defenseman over Carlson and say he's super consistent I'd want to stop seeing the periodic breakdowns I've seen in these playoffs.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Josi and Doughty for sure
Hedman is even more of a slam dunk.
OEL and Pietrangelo probably too

I think Carlson is better defensively than OEL and better offensively than Pietrangelo, but they're both similar in talent I believe. Pietrangelo probably has better hockey IQ. I would have taken Hedman before this last series we played. I guess I just feel Carlson is pretty similar in talent to most top Dmen who will or are getting paid similarly. If we have to make moves to keep him that will suck but I think it is a necessary evil.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I don't necessarily think he struggles badly in any other areas. He's good, I like him alot. But to consider him our best defenseman over Carlson and say he's super consistent I'd want to stop seeing the periodic breakdowns I've seen in these playoffs.

I was careful not to say he was our best defenseman because I honestly don't know who their best defenseman is. I think all 3 of Niskanen, Orlov, and Carlson are great but in different areas and it's hard for me to make a judgment of who their overall best D is. Carlson adds the most value on the PP and offensively in general, Niskanen is easily their best PKer and defensive D, and Orlov excels at even-strength play with some second-unit special teams contributions.

I think if you ignore the optics and look squarely at the numbers it's easy to make the case that Orlov is incredibly consistent and has been all season. Does he have areas he can improve in? Of course, but he hasn't had those extended periods of time where he was really bad like he had in 2016 (which is what I'd argue is the definition of inconsistency for a defenseman).

Reactions: Ridley Simon

badi

Jan 21, 2008
The Caps better sign this guy ,,,,,
He is a stud back there ,,,,

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Their best defenseman could be either 2 or 74 depending skills needed at the time. The best defenseman is never Orlov. He can be the most dynamic but that is different from best

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Their best defenseman could be either 2 or 74 depending skills needed at the time. The best defenseman is never Orlov. He can be the most dynamic but that is different from best
I think Carlson is our best overall dman. Niskanen is very inconsistent. He will have a strong game and then an absolute stinker. I like Orlov as well. Needs to work on parts if his game but he us improving.

TheSting

Jun 22, 2015
The Caps better sign this guy ,,,,,
He is a stud back there ,,,,

It's a 2 way street. As an example, Patrick Kane and Jonny Toews were at one time the highest paid players in the NHL (zero cups since they signed their 10.5 million per year deals) during the midst of their cup run and it cost the roster depth wise. Is Carlson willing to take a pay cut to keep the championship roster together for another run or 2 or does he want to go all in for personal gain...

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
It's a 2 way street. As an example, Patrick Kane and Jonny Toews were at one time the highest paid players in the NHL (zero cups since they signed their 10.5 million per year deals) during the midst of their cup run and it cost the roster depth wise. Is Carlson willing to take a pay cut to keep the championship roster together for another run or 2 or does he want to go all in for personal gain...

I expect most of the greed is pushed by the players agent. I'm hoping Carlson will sign with the Caps and forego moving elsewhere for more money. But I can just see his agent playing the mind games to try and talk him into going elsewhere for more money.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Food for thought when the series is over. What's our walk away number. Unfortunately, its not just about him. The more complex issue is building the rest of the lineup with the remaining space. Has Bowey shown enough. What's Kempny going to cost, and can he play offside? Do we want Jerabek retained?

Look at Vegas. Maybe Pitt. Even us. The trend seems to be that you don't NEED to pay a DMan 10M to make it to the finals. Where did Karlsson get Ottawa. Making the finals seems to be all about 1. Tending. 2. Lucky Bounces. 3. Overall Team Skill. 4. Coaching. 5. Russians. 6. A well compensated defensemen.

First world problems. Nothing to worry about today. Hopefully he gets the cup winning goal.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Look at Vegas. Maybe Pitt. Even us. The trend seems to be that you don't NEED to pay a DMan 10M to make it to the finals.

I think history provides that you need a legit #1D to win a cup. Whether that player is already in high dollar ufa level money is immaterial.

Just consider the costs in salary cap, term and or assets to get a defenseman that brings 90% of what Carlson has. That's even if there is one available which there likely isn't. In the end you spend what it would cost to keep Carlson. So, either you pay the contract or step back in quality

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think recently history shows Nate Schmidt could lead a team to a cup. Pitt did just fine with LeTang out all playoffs. Don't undersell goaltending and the systems teams run.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
I think recently history shows Nate Schmidt could lead a team to a cup. Pitt did just fine with LeTang out all playoffs. Don't undersell goaltending and the systems teams run.
The Capitals don't use a "legit #1D" either, regardless of how you rate Carlson -- that's not how they approach it. Carlson is the closest to fitting what's meant by that label, but Niskanen-Orlov is the shutdown pairing. They have a very solid top-four that probably includes three top-pairing guys.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The Capitals don't use a "legit #1D" either, regardless of how you rate Carlson -- that's not how they approach it. Carlson is the closest to fitting what's meant by that label, but Niskanen-Orlov is the shutdown pairing. They have a very solid top-four that probably includes three top-pairing guys.

Yes - as much as I like Carlson and think he's probably worth keeping at up to $8.5million, a team paying him $10m to be a stalwart 1D will probably end up a bit disappointed. I really hope he stays because we will not be the same team without him, especially on the power play - but we'd still be a playoff team.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
Is there any chance the Caps could get anyone to bite on Orpik? Even if they get nothing in return and have to retain some of his salary that opens up some cap space to re-sign Carlson. I think it's pretty clear Orpik's best days are long gone and re-signing Carlson long term would be enormous if the Caps can get it done.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Is there any chance the Caps could get anyone to bite on Orpik? Even if they get nothing in return and have to retain some of his salary that opens up some cap space to re-sign Carlson. I think it's pretty clear Orpik's best days are long gone and re-signing Carlson long term would be enormous if the Caps can get it done.
He'll almost certainly have positive value for young, cap floor teams.

Wouldn't be a bad guy to have in the same lockerroom as Dahlin, for example.

Though I doubt the Caps are desperate to move him.

Jun 15, 2007
8x8 with an NTC.

Just do it John. Best fit and best chance to win more cups.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Scenario:

And...John Carlson signs with the... Golden Knights! 10 years at 10 million per... Vegas style.

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
Being able to offer an eighth year should help us. I really think John wants to stay here (how could you not after winning a Cup?) and I believe his wife’s family is from the DC area.

Highest I would go is 7.5M/8 years. Yeah, that contract will probably suck on the back end but no reason to not go all-in for the last few years of Ovi’s prime. Carlson adds such a dangerous dimension to our PP

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
In looking at the Caps situation, they can likely keep next year's roster in place for 2 years (after that Backstrom and Holtby are UFAs and Ovi is staring at the final year of his contract, so who knows what happens then).

I think the Caps handle Carlson/Wilson similar to the way they handled last off-season with Oshie/Kuznetsov. They'll do what it takes to get those guys done first and see what's left after swallowing the numbers they have to throw to those two. After that, they should have room for Kempny. That squares away the top 4 D and the top 6 F. Burt is probably the Johansson equivalent if they have to shed money somewhere. Orpik coming off the books plus no significant UFAs in 2019 will help them keep next years team together for 2 years (with maybe some depth adds that summer if the cap goes up again).

Reactions: Ridley Simon

RVACapsFan

May 31, 2018
In looking at the Caps situation, they can likely keep next year's roster in place for 2 years (after that Backstrom and Holtby are UFAs and Ovi is staring at the final year of his contract, so who knows what happens then).

I think the Caps handle Carlson/Wilson similar to the way they handled last off-season with Oshie/Kuznetsov. They'll do what it takes to get those guys done first and see what's left after swallowing the numbers they have to throw to those two. After that, they should have room for Kempny. That squares away the top 4 D and the top 6 F. Burt is probably the Johansson equivalent if they have to shed money somewhere. Orpik coming off the books plus no significant UFAs in 2019 will help them keep next years team together for 2 years (with maybe some depth adds that summer if the cap goes up again).

Depending on Samsonov’s development, I could see us trying to move Holtby after next season... otherwise you risk losing him for nothing (or something like a 4th as LA got for Bishop’s rights) in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad