Proposal: John Carlson for Kucherov

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have always loved Carlson's game, legit top 4 D man. With the Caps set to challenge for the cup in the next couple of years, his 3.96 Cap hit is extreme value. Too valuable to Caps to move.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
So many misconceptions about the Capitals and Carlson in this thread. No, Carlson is not the best D on the Caps and defense is definitely one of the Caps' strengths.

Anyway, TB would refuse this offer instantly. Kucherov is a lot more valuable.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
For what it's worth, Kucherov is a PPG player this season. He's a bit short over the career, but the trend is hopefully up. However, I wonder if he gets similar chances playing with the Caps.

He is extremely valuable, and I think Tampa Bay would be silly to be looking to move him. However, there's some significant disrespect for John Carlson that's a bit off the mark. Sure, he's had a down year at the start of this year, but a 40-50 point #1 defenseman who just turned 27 is much more valuable than people are saying. He's especially more valuable to the Capitals, and I would agree that Kucherov is more valuable to the Bolts. The Caps could potentially plug a number of cheaper parts and get 20 goals there. Heck, Vrana could get 20-25 in a season or two. Maybe even next.

Now, cost certainty would be an issue, and in a year or two, it might make this discussion moot.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Tampa won't be able to afford Carlson next summer. Don't see them doing this.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
So many misconceptions about the Capitals and Carlson in this thread. No, Carlson is not the best D on the Caps and defense is definitely one of the Caps' strengths.

Anyway, TB would refuse this offer instantly. Kucherov is a lot more valuable.

I am shocked at how many people think this is even close

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
Tampa doesn't even consider this, honestly. Kucherov and Drouin (To a lesser extent Stamkos) are the offensive future of the TBL.

If they're dealing off one of their core offensive pieces, it's going to be for a similar offensive piece or a similar defensive piece. I just don't think Carlson fits that bill. No disrespect meant to JC, but I don't think he holds the same value as Kucherov. At least not to Tampa.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Carlson is far too important to Washington and Kucherov has considerably more value than him so, don't think there's a deal to be made

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Carlson would definitely be a guy I could see the Leafs or Oilers targeting in the offseason if the Caps decide they want to recoup some assets and bring back Alzner

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Tampa doesn't even consider this, honestly. Kucherov and Drouin (To a lesser extent Stamkos) are the offensive future of the TBL.

If they're dealing off one of their core offensive pieces, it's going to be for a similar offensive piece or a similar defensive piece. I just don't think Carlson fits that bill. No disrespect meant to JC, but I don't think he holds the same value as Kucherov. At least not to Tampa.
yep, brutal offer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad