Player Discussion John Beecher

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
cap crunch and he was waiver eligible

what a great backcheck last night in the 3rd, totally squashed an odd man rush, can`t teach hustle

Yup, his contract is like 100K more than some of the other guys, so for the last 6 weeks they had no room for him.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Beecher is a keeper for so many reasons
His story seems to be turning a corner. It reminds me of our relationship with Frederic, though with very different skill sets. The value of finding big-bodied athletic players for the bottom six at the end of round one is obvious. Maybe a few kids behind him might be gems, but for me, there is no denying the great value of the Beecher and Frederic draft picks.

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
His story seems to be turning a corner. It reminds me of our relationship with Frederic, though with very different skill sets. The value of finding big-bodied athletic players for the bottom six at the end of round one is obvious. Maybe a few kids behind him might be gems, but for me, there is no denying the great value of the Beecher and Frederic draft picks.
I have watched Beecher before when the Bruins drafted him and always loved his speed and size, and maybe was not recognized in his amateur days because he played on teams with so much talent . I have noticed more and more that the Bruins are getting bigger with Beecher, Freddy, Geekie and I know he is slow as shit but Brazeau when he is engaged really uses his body well, I was skeptical that he would throw some hits and he starting to take that doubt out me, he seems to have nice hands and makes some nice plays because of them. I also thought it was nice to see Beecher throw some hits out there.

Reactions: HustleB

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I have watched Beecher before when the Bruins drafted him and always loved his speed and size, and maybe was not recognized in his amateur days because he played on teams with so much talent . I have noticed more and more that the Bruins are getting bigger with Beecher, Freddy, Geekie and I know he is slow as shit but Brazeau when he is engaged really uses his body well, I was skeptical that he would throw some hits and he starting to take that doubt out me, he seems to have nice hands and makes some nice plays because of them. I also thought it was nice to see Beecher throw some hits out there.

This. When we started on a historic hot streak early in the season we had a lot of size in the lineup, especially in the bottom six forward group. We are finally getting back to that formula and the difference is already showing. We'll even add size when Maroon is ready.

My playoff forward lines:

Marchand/Coyle/DeBrusk
Heinen/Zacha/Pastrnak
JVR/Geekie/Frederic
Maroon/Beecher/Lauko

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
This. When we started on a historic hot streak early in the season we had a lot of size in the lineup, especially in the bottom six forward group. We are finally getting back to that formula and the difference is already showing. We'll even add size when Maroon is ready.

My playoff forward lines:

Marchand/Coyle/DeBrusk
Heinen/Zacha/Pastrnak
JVR/Geekie/Frederic
Maroon/Beecher/Lauko
I like what you have but there is no way I am sitting Boquist. So Lauko is out, Boquist is in. I sure would love to see Merkulov/Lysell get one more chance to make a case in the NHL if the cap allows for it .

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I like what you have but there is no way I am sitting Boquist. So Lauko is out, Boquist is in. I sure would love to see Merkulov/Lysell get one more chance to make a case in the NHL if the cap allows for it .
JVR one point in the last 12 games, just saying, I also believe Lauko is second in hits, not shabby.......

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
JVR one point in the last 12 games, just saying, I also believe Lauko is second in hits, not shabby.......
I also might add Justin " Lucca Brasi" Brazeau, 24 hits 12 games. We have been too passive in the playoffs, worrying about taking penalties, screw it lets try beating them down with good solid hits,

Reactions: bobber

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I worry JVR is a liability in the playoffs...

I think he'll be a candidate to sit certain games. He's good when things get funny around the net but he's starting to show his age out there. Good value signing but they need to limit his minutes from here on out.

With Beecher back, I'd like to see Bo get some reps in the JVR spot 5v5 with Freddie and Geekie while Braz continuesto see time on the PP units.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006

Now that I look into the stats, you're right. Boqvist in, Lauko out. I like Lauko's speed and physicality, but his defensive awareness does not match up to Boqvist.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I worry JVR is a liability in the playoffs...
His net front skills will be valuable in the playoffs. So many of those goals come by way of tips and net front battles. While his game is very limited at this stage, they will need him for that. Obviously it would be nice to have a complete player to replace him with, but they don’t have one.

Reactions: BlackFrancis

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
His net front skills will be valuable in the playoffs. So many of those goals come by way of tips and net front battles. While his game is very limited at this stage, they will need him for that. Obviously it would be nice to have a complete player to replace him with, but they don’t have one.
Old JVR is like old Sea Biscuit. He will come through when you need a timely goal in the play offs. Just put some White's Horse Linament under his tail. Giddy up!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

WASHINGTON — Johnny Beecher gave himself an hour or two to be ticked off. Then he went back to work.
It was the middle of January when the Bruins sent him to Providence to polish some areas of his game that had slipped a bit. After making the varsity following a strong camp, it wasn’t the call he expected but sometimes the rookie wall can hit hard.
Beecher decided it was better to move forward than to look back.

“It was kind of just one of those things where you just realize it’s not personal and move on from it. It’s part of the business at the end of the day and you’ve just got to kind of use it as fuel, if anything, to kind of motivate you a little bit more,” Beecher said following Monday’s morning skate at Capital One Arena ahead of the Bruins’ 2-0 loss to the Capitals. “And I am super close with the guys down there, so it really wasn’t the end of the world. Go down and play hockey with some of your best buddies still. So, I mean the situation can be much worse at the end of the day.”

“I was able to go down there and build up some more confidence, play a little bit bigger of a role, get in a little bit better shape, just by playing more minutes,” said Beecher. “And I got a ton of good buddies and really close with the coaching staff down there. So, a lot of positives came out from it. I worked real hard and I was able to get the call back up and I’ve been chipping away right now, just still trying to learn and get better. There’s so many highs and lows throughout an 82-game season, especially as a rookie, and just kind of taking them as they come and go right now and trying to get as prepared as I can for the playoffs.”

Beecher has played with a heavier presence in his second stint with the big club, and that is something that should pay dividends when in the playoffs.

“This is a big reason why I’m here; to play this style of hockey, play north-south, play physical. I’m looking forward to it,” he said. “The guys have given me some advice. You can even see it in the last 5-10 games, just how much the league has changed, and people are fighting for their lives now. I’m excited for Game 1. I’m sure there’ll be a lot of jitters, but it’s always a good thing. So, I’m excited.”

Playing with Maroon also has Beecher pumped, as he is anxious to learn from a veteran who has been through the postseason wars.

“He’s an unbelievable guy. He’s everything you wished he would be and more,” said Beecher. “He’s fit in great with the guys and I’m excited to play with him. He’s an unbelievable player and hopefully we mesh pretty well out there.”

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
this guy needs more ice time. Does monty not like him? If you ask me, his speed and ability to win faceoffs should have him getting way more icetime.
I know it wont happen, but maybe tonight Id like to see him get a shot at centeing pasta and debrusk. or put him with some talent on the wings at least.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad