Confirmed with Link: Johansen signs 3-year deal (4.0M AAV)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Whether the front office won or Joey's agent won is a moot point. All that matters now is if the CBJ win on the ice.
Amen. For putting it succinctly and correctly, you get a cookie.

320px-Choc-Chip-Cookie.jpg

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
your explaination baffles me even more why they didn't take the 2yrs at $6m...they possibly left 2-4m off the table to get that 1 year at $6m...if he continues to grow and becomes a PPG elite #1C over these two years, the CBJ could have possibly locked him in at AVV of $8m or more...which is pretty much what the FO stance was...sign the deal and make us pay you...Joey did the FO a favor by allowing them to push that big payday one more year...

He can still sign an extension with the team after 2 years of this deal are completed, if I'm not mistaken. I believe that the earliest a player can be extended is with no more than one year left on his existing deal.

He got some security that he wouldn't have had if he had just done the straight 2 year bridge. $12 million guaranteed earnings vs. $6 million.

For all intents and purposes, Johansen signed a 4 year deal. He'll never have to negotiate with the CBJ again. He'll be free to get his super pay day-should he warrant one- with all 30 (perhaps 32) NHL teams in 4 years. He'll be well compensated in years 3 & 4 of this deal.

Given the tenor of these negotiations, I think that the Johansen camp wanted to frame the parameters of the next negotiations pretty solidly. They have. If his performance is like many expect it to be, he will be negotiating as a UFA. Even if he doesn't, his likely compensation in year 4 of this deal is in the $7-8 million range. If he performs very well over the next two years, he has the CBJ management over a barrel. They'll have to overpay him dramatically to keep him. If they don't, he'll just play out his deal and will be extremely well compensated in year 4 of it. His UFA-type payday will come a few years earlier in my estimation by doing what he did with the 3 year deal.

Most top UFAs sign their 6 year deals at the conclusion of their ELC or after year 2 of it. They will have been contractually obligated for 9 years before their biggest pay day. Johansen will only have had to have been under contract for 7 years at most. PK Subban got "bridged" and cashed in at 5 years. Giroux, who also signed a similar 2nd contract to Johansen, cashed in after 6 years.

The Jackets willingness to sign an 8 year monster deal in 2 years is something I wouldn't believe if I were Johansen. Davidson clearly showed that he believes in using his CBA leverage to its fullest extent. He still would have had CBA leverage in two years had Johansen signed a 2 year bridge. Now the Jackets have extremely little leverage with a top performing Johansen. All that will be on their side is the injury risk for Johansen if he doesn't sign a big deal until he would be a UFA and the 8th year option that only the CBJ will have (barring trade, then that team would have the 8th year option).

If Johansen left any money on the table by not signing a straight 2 year bridge, I don't see it. By not signing the six year deal he did take on some risk, but very little so far as I can see. $5.4 million/year over 6 years probably stands around a 10-25% chance of being his best potential compensation over the next 6 years. But, that is conjecture. We shall see.

Last edited:

Kashie14

Mar 10, 2011
The money he left on the table is spread out over all three years. The FO's initial offer was 3M, and they were using Duchene as a comparable. Given that, I believe they would have agreed to a two year 3.5M deal. That's already 1M more. Two years later, had Johansen continued to perform a Subban-like deal would have probably been in the cards. Further, this would have been after the Canadian TV deal money gets factored into the cap. Going from a 2x3.5 to an 8x8 would have given Joey 3 million more dollars over the next three years. If the FO was being stubborn on the 8x8, he could've gone to arbitration which would open up the very same pathway to free agency he has now (I'm assuming if he takes a 1 year arbitration, he'll be able to take the QO from that arbitration in his final RFA year/go to arbitration again. I'm not sure if arbitration can set a QO though). There's more security for Johansen the way things are set now, but it doesn't maximize his earnings. Earnings are maximized by taking a series of short contracts, because that's the only real way to reset after every jump in the cap. Following this model is an exchange of risk vs. immediate gain though. Nikitin and Gaborik are making the same money this year, because they're approaching their deals in completely different ways.

CBJRzeznik

Mar 8, 2014
I love what Mike wrote on the Cannon today: Joey's deal represents a true compromise: one in which neither side is completely happy. No way KO/Joey wanted the 2 yr/3mil....no way CBJ FO wanted year 3 @ 6mil. Everyone can argue: 1) KO won because Joey gets the arbitration yr salary at 6 or 2) the FO won because they stuck to their original 2 yr offer and if Joey continues his progression the yr 3 salary will be appropriate. In the end it was a compromise where neither side really won anything. In the end, after all this posturing, if Joey/CBJ get off to a poor start it will be the fans who really lose.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Ryan is going to start skating and getting in shape tonight. Goodie.

Nothing like an exaggeration to make the point you want to make.

For instance, if this were Dubinsky or Jenner, people would be saying how much this shows he cares about being back.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Ryan is going to start skating and getting in shape tonight. Goodie.

He's been working out and skating with the Vancouver Giants. Certainly not up to snuff with NHL talent, but at least he's been skating. It's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Heck, Kessel said he hasn't skated at all in the off season. We know Johansen has been working out, and that he's been skating.

The only rust that has to come off at this point is really just playing against NHL speed and talent.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
According to twitter, Richards indicated that johansens fitness and form very much a concern, may not play Thursday night.:shakehead

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
According to twitter, Richards indicated that johansens fitness and form very much a concern, may not play Thursday night.:shakehead

You can read this two ways.

Is it a concern because he doesn't know what his fitness is yet or is it a concern because he has seen it and it's lacking?

I'm betting it's the first one.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Sorry , here were 2 twitter post....

Aaron Portzline retweeted
Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 27m27 minutes ago
Richards said Johansen’s lack of sharpness was evident at times during practice. #CBJ

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 29m29 minutes ago
Richards said Johansen not guaranteed to play Thursday vs #Sabres. Fitness, form very much a concern. #CBJ

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don't care. You want to roll with Anisimov - Wennberg - Letestu - Chaput down the middle?

yeah, lets throw him out there regardless of his game readiness and watch him pull a groin muscle or worse. What's one more on IR?:shakehead

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Sorry , here were 2 twitter post....

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 27m27 minutes ago
Richards said Johansen’s lack of sharpness was evident at times during practice. #CBJ

Shawn Mitchell ‏@smitchcd 29m29 minutes ago
Richards said Johansen not guaranteed to play Thursday vs #Sabres. Fitness, form very much a concern. #CBJ

Thanks

If he not ready you have to sit him. Can't risk he gets hurt because he's not ready to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad