Recalled/Assigned: Johansen Sent Down to Springfield

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
As tweeted this morning by Rob Mixer, Aaron Portzline and others:
#CBJ assign Ryan Johansen to Springfield.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=654396

Does this mean our front office thinks Dubinsky isn't facing a suspension from last night's boarding call against the Kings?
Is Brassard moving back to center?
Is Cam close to returning?
Is there a trade in the offing that brings a wing to Columbus?
And most importantly, does this mean they think Joey is regressing or was it planned to be a 10 game thing all along?

Last edited:

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Have to say this is surprising. I'm not disappointed because I hoped Johan would get a chance to develop in the AHL this year anyway.

But, I'm still surprised.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Here comes the bust/disappointment talk. Questionable move. Good luck Joey

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Not sure I agree with this decision. He hadn't had a great last couple of games but he's still had more good performances than bad this season.

Yeah, he wasn't scoring, but neither was anybody else. And it's not like ice time had been a problem for him recently.

Last edited:

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
This was a Davidson move. A confidence builder. He will be just fine. He's really trailed off as of late.

In the old days, he would have stayed up at this level and become another first round disappointment.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus
I'll agree that this is a JD move... let the kid develop. Makes me wonder though...

1: Brassard back to center???
2: Atkinson getting close to take the winger slot???
3: If Dubinsky is suspended... they would still need another player...
4: Signing someone (Arnott???) to let Johanson have a full season in AHL???

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I like the move. He isn't producing point wise for some reason. Either it is a bad scheme, bad luck, or the players he's with aren't getting to the right areas. He seems to be playing the right way, things just aren't going in for him at the NHL level. Get him back to the AHL to dominate, and build the confidence up.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Kid played at a 2nd line center level while here. Made good passes, controlled the puck, and won faceoffs.

Sounds like the organization isn't happy with 2nd line center and is pushing him to be more. Builds confidence. Smart move in my opinion.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Not sure I agree with this decision. He hadn't had a great last couple of games but he's still had more good performances than bad this season.

Yeah, he wasn't scoring, but neither was anybody else. And it's not like ice time had been a problem for him recently.

Yeah. You need to send guys like Calvert down if you send Johansen down. What has Calvert done to stay with Columbus?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Well not a fan of the move at this moment. He's been one of our best forwards even though he has struggled offensively. If this is part of a bigger move we'll have too see. Maybe we're moving a player for futures and they want johansen to get more experience leading and playing bigger minutes for next season?

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
I don't think he's struggled offensively per se. He's doing the right things in the offensive zone, I do think he could drive to the net more, but he just isn't cashing in. Get him to Springfield to start cashing in.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
I'll agree that this is a JD move... let the kid develop. Makes me wonder though...

1: Brassard back to center???
2: Atkinson getting close to take the winger slot???
3: If Dubinsky is suspended... they would still need another player...
4: Signing someone (Arnott???) to let Johanson have a full season in AHL???

https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/299190012874985472
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Agent Wade Arnott says brother Jason "cleared to play" after knee scope, and has "a few things ongoing with NHL clubs."

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
https://twitter.com/SportsnetSpec/status/299190012874985472
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
Agent Wade Arnott says brother Jason "cleared to play" after knee scope, and has "a few things ongoing with NHL clubs."

I don't want Arnott. He's got very little left in the tank and he had a hard time accepting a lesser role in St. Louis last year I'm not opposed to having an Aucoin-type guy up front but Arnott probably isn't that guy.

His dislike of Hitch is certainly a plus though. Him and Brass can "bond" over that. :laugh:

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I have no idea if this is a good move or a bad one and I'd be bold enough to say that no one else does, either, at this point. I'll be very interested to see if the reasons become clearer in the near future.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I have no idea if this is a good move or a bad one and I'd be bold enough to say that no one else does, either, at this point. I'll be very interested to see if the reasons become clearer in the near future.

Is a concise version of the post I had been composing until I read this and decided it was better and I would just agree with it.

I agree.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
He's been playing better then #18.

I'd be hard pressed to find a forward, defenseman or goalie who hasn't been playing better than #18, but that's another thread :)

Interesting move. I certainly think Joey was doing a lot of good things, but I don't think there was a great fit for him on a line. I'm sure some humility never hurts a kid like him either, in the long run.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Can't say I dislike this move. We seem to be trending down and we need him as our future. Johan should want more from himself and this makes him do that. He hasn't been bad but the past couple games have been meh, needs to play hard every game something every kid struggles with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad