Recalled/Assigned: Johansen Sent Down to Springfield

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The schtick is tired, blah.

Johansen hasn't done enough in the defensive zone to make up for his poor offensive performance. Which is why he has one of the worst plus/minus ratios on the team. And, as you note, that is saying a lot on this team with all of the "garbage" play.

The difference between Johansen and let's say...RJ Umberger...is that Ryan is still at a point where he can develop into a much better player than he is. But, hey, let's not bother to try to develop his talent and let's just throw him out their against NHL guys when he's not ready simply because he's nominally better than most of our anemic forward core. :sarcasm: Let's squander his offensive potential because he's doing "good enough" in the defensive zone...when compared to a team that has one of the highest goals against in the league.

I'm not interested in whether Johansen is currently better than Boll or Calvert or whoever else. His potential is greater than those players. I'm interested in what is best for his long-term development because that is what is best for the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Wow a rational, well thought out post without a lot of hyperbole and melodrama. I don't necessarily agree with all of what you said, but then again in my first post I didn't say it was necessarily a bad thing he was being sent down. I am on the fence on this one. It really doesn't matter to me one way or another.

What I said was is that the whole "gain confidence" thing is not immediate. He will be disappointed and, possibly, upset that he is being sent down. He might struggle for a bit.

Johansen was let down far more by his team mates than the other way around. He started off strong and played pretty well, for the most part, until very recently. It was unfortunate that he didn't get the support from his line mates and, ultimately, from the coaching staff.

Much better than your first response. Thanks.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
His play has dropped since the first few games of the season but grounds for a demotion? I don't know. I just hope the next time they decide Johansen is ready to make the team that it is for good. I have not been a fan of his handling since training camp last year and things havn't change this year either. So now let him stay in Springfield this year to develop and then he can come to a full camp and prove he's ready to make the team next season.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Now AP was revised his earlier tweet.

@Aportzline "#CBJ change course. Now that C Brandon Dubinsky has avoided suspension, #CBJ will not recall player from AHL Springfield."

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
To be honest, I don't have any idea what this is supposed to mean or what it has to do with Johansen. Are you saying we had to make room for Brassard to play center?

Allow me to clarify then. We have too many 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers. Johansen needs to be developed so we can have a top line center. If that requires going to Springfield to get more confidence in his scoring touch, learn how to play during a playoff/championship drive and (gasp!) actually get some PRACTICE time, I'm all for it.

mt-svk

CBJ/OTT fan
Jun 6, 2007
Allow me to clarify then. We have too many 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers. Johansen needs to be developed so we can have a top line center. If that requires going to Springfield to get more confidence in his scoring touch, learn how to play during a playoff/championship drive and (gasp!) actually get some PRACTICE time, I'm all for it.

The question is---what AHL can give him... he is too good for this league. IMO we could trade Brassard and five a chance Johansen. Brassard is maximum the second line... in reality the third line center no more.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Johansen was not struggling to get ice time, so I don't see the relevance of that part. The practice part is well received.

If the front office thinks he will develop better in the AHL, I have no issue with that. However that is a long way from your initial post. Also we don't have "too many" centers. We have the wrong mix of forwards, but that doesn't have much to do with Johansen as his spot on the depth chart unless the team felt his minutes as a top six center was negatively impacting someone else. As I mentioned Brassard. Honestly I don't think that was a factor.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm ok with it. He played hard, but bottom line in pro sports is getting results and RyJo just wasn't getting much offensively. Just hurts his confidence if he can't get it done.
Other option was go all in and throw him on a top line between a couple better players and play him 18-20 minutes a night. Sink or swim kid. If there was ever a time to do it, now is it. Nothing to lose.
But I understand sending him down

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
My emotional reaction is that it's sad that it's necessary. I'd be happier if we could get a #1 pick that was ready for NHL action right out of the gate and ready to be a standout. No, it doesn't happen for every other team, but as a team that needs it more than the other 29 teams, it would be nice if it didn't take a few years of seasoning for our top-10 overall picks to be productive, let alone stars. I don't have sufficient vision into any of these guys' potential to guess if any of them have star potential, but after the history we've had with our #1 picks, it's very easy to jump to the conclusion that none of them do. Nothing would make me happier than for that conclusion to be wrong. So go ahead, Ryjo -- prove me wrong, be a star. You have a long way to go to achieve NHL stardom, as does every member of this team.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Johansen was not struggling to get ice time, so I don't see the relevance of that part. The practice part is well received.

If the front office thinks he will develop better in the AHL, I have no issue with that. However that is a long way from your initial post. Also we don't have "too many" centers. We have the wrong mix of forwards, but that doesn't have much to do with Johansen as his spot on the depth chart unless the team felt his minutes as a top six center was negatively impacting someone else. As I mentioned Brassard. Honestly I don't think that was a factor.

Oh, we have "too many" centers. Count em up.

The two thoughts - as I expressed them originally - go hand in hand. If Joey is not going to deliver more than the others can, it's not worth the cost of his development. Problem is - he can't because he has overmatched schleps on his wings.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The question is---what AHL can give him... he is too good for this league. IMO we could trade Brassard and five a chance Johansen. Brassard is maximum the second line... in reality the third line center no more.

I really just think it's to allow him 1.) to get some practice time so he doesn't reinforce bad habits and 2.) to get his mojo back. The AHL can do that for him.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
My problem with this isn't that he was sent down, but that he seems to have been singled out. IMO, he wasn't playing so bad that he should have been sent down and others have been playing worse without being sent down, moved to a lower line, etc....

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My problem with this isn't that he was sent down, but that he seems to have been singled out. IMO, he wasn't playing so bad that he should have been sent down and others have been playing worse without being sent down, moved to a lower line, etc....

Problem is that Springfield couldn't handle an additional 20 or so.:sarcasm:

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

But then he'd have even LESS talented wings on his line.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I remember the last time we sent a prospect center back down to the AHL to learn how to win and to compete in the playoffs, and instead he learned that when enough force is applied his knee could bend 90 degrees the other way.

As long as this doesn't turn out the same way I think it'll be good or Joey's development.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I like the move. Johansen needs to get his scoring touch back. Yes he's solid defensively and on faceoffs. So now obviously his offensive side needs to be developed. He was a 100+pt player in the WHL. Let him go back to the AHL dominate defensively, get his scoring touch. And then next year he will go through a full training camp, offseason conditioning and exbhition games. Having him Murray and potentially 1 or 2 others explode onto the scene next year. It's a good smart move by management. People can argue all they want about him staying here, but being in a losing organization sucks and it's hard to get pumped. It will be good for the kid to be in Springfield.

CapnCornelius

Oct 28, 2006
People can argue all they want about him staying here, but being in a losing organization sucks and it's hard to get pumped. It will be good for the kid to be in Springfield.

I think one of the few good things that came out of last year was Atkinson being in Springfield out of the cancerous locker room. I certainly hope this year doesn't have the same sort of behind the scenes drama.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think one of the few good things that came out of last year was Atkinson being in Springfield out of the cancerous locker room. I certainly hope this year doesn't have the same sort of behind the scenes drama.

Last year they said if Atkinson wasn't able the to play second line he wouldn't see any nhl time. And now he's definitely looking like he's ready. I can see the same with Johansen. I seriously can't see any real negs with another year in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->