Player Discussion Johan Larsson

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I think 8 years is a little long, but I don't think twice about signing him for 5 years.

Also fair. I'm not on board yet, but at least I can listen to this. 8 years is unreasonable for a player that hasn't done nearly enough yet.

I realize I come across as a Larsson hater... I really am not. I love his play over the past two months. But there is some gong-show worthy fanboy-ism surrounding this player around here.

Last edited:

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
That's fair. I don't nessecarily agree, by I can buy that. The point is, you have to reach pretty freakin deep to include Larsson in your core. He just isn't part of it.

I would argue to the contrary. Obviously, given my beliefs posted prior, I am an advocate for such a signing. Having a mainstay center for your third line who is good is absolutely a core piece of a team. Given top 6 being fairly set and very few spots available the new guys will be breaking in on the third line. As they should be on any "good" team. Larsson being there to shelter their defensive let downs and showing them the type of intensity they need to bring on a nightly basis is essential. Those years where you have new scorers(Vanek) on a third line with a guy like Hecht. You get one definite player for the third line and you can rotate in players on a needed basis. Stability is key.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Larsson is currently playing in a role every team in the league would deem critical enough to be considered a "core" role. It really comes down to the quality of his play in that role.

I think he's excelled. I think he's a core player.

Even if you don't consider him core, he's a quality player and locking him into a cap hit at or around $3-3.5 million is hardly going to handcuff the organization long-term.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Larsson is currently playing in a role every team in the league would deem critical enough to be considered a "core" role. It really comes down to the quality of his play in that role.

Even if you don't consider him core, he's a quality player and locking him into a cap hit at or around $3-3.5 million is hardly going to handcuff the organization long-term.

Giving an 8 year contract to a player that has played well for a grand total of 4 months in his NHL career is laughable.

Some of you are so fast to say that this late season surge is due to Larsson's success. There is some truth to that. But that also says that the early season failures were partly because of his failures. Blame it on the coaching and the role all you want, but there are problems with a player that is so inflexible in role that if he is forced to move, he can't play well.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje

While I'm not taking sides in the contract discussion, I do agree that Larsson is playing in a core position. And he's doing it very well. So I would consider him "core". More so than Kane. And I love Kane.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
That's fair. I don't nessecarily agree, by I can buy that. The point is, you have to reach pretty freakin deep to include Larsson in your core. He just isn't part of it.
Larsson's role has a core level of importance and we'll probably need someone to do the things he does to be ultimately successful, but isn't so difficult or unique that Johan Larsson is the only player we'll encounter capable of doing those things.

Goal prevention wins championships.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Dave Bolland at 23 years old... 5 years / 3.375 per
and that was 7 years ago (so that offsets the "zomg 40 point season!)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
The best comparable for Larsson is Krüger. Frans Nielsen or (prime) Stoll are not that good comparables IMO. Or is someone actually thinking that Larsson is going to pot +60 or +50 points seasons?

Krüger is more established and better (at least for now) in his role than Larsson.

Krüger got 1,3 to 1,5 millions on his bridge deals, and his latest, which eats 2 UFA years and 1 RFA years, gives him averagely 3 million.

Are you comparing them today, or at the expiration of their ELCs

You simply don't give Larsson more than that at this point - or you're doing a bad job as a GM. He's not worth more than Krüger, especially as RFA compared to UFA Krüger.

I think you're doing a bad job as a GM with cookie cutter approaches like that.

Many things can change over the course of a career. Larsson's worth measured against Kruger today, may not hold over the next 2-4 years.

Larsson's role is undervalued and not easy to fill. The Sabres haven't had a high level checking line center in ages.

The realistic approach, IMO, is that you give 1-2 years bridge for him, and after that he still has 2-3 RFA years ahead of him (he's July born) and you lock him long term dragging the cap hit down by his RFA years.

That is the easy, and passive approach. And it's very likely to work out... in the short term. You save some cap space in the meaningless cap years 2016-2018. Maybe you continue to save in the following deal, maybe you don't. Maybe Larsson pushes for a deal that gets him to free agency and you lose him at 26/27 years old. Maybe he signs long term on the 2nd deal.

I prefer certainty. I am confident in the role Larsson can perform at a high level, I have a value I can place on that role over the long term. With those 2 things, I lock him up long term. And focus the decision making on the harder decisions

Are we sure it's 4 years to UFA for Larsson? I thought it was 3.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

As Struck points out, Bolland was the Chicago 2nd line center at the time. Even with scoring trending down, there is a lot of play between the production of the two players given similar roles.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
As Struck points out, Bolland was the Chicago 2nd line center at the time. Even with scoring trending down, there is a lot of play between the production of the two players given similar roles.

Lines, Schmines.... are GMs this inept? (Actually, don't answer :laugh: )

Do we have to live by the roster structure of teams to understand the types of players, skillsets, etc and how those players/skills are valued?

Did Dave Bolland get 3 million because he played with Sharp/Hossa and Chi viewed him as a 2nd line center?

Or Did Dave Bolland get 3 million because he was a defensive center on a team that had nothing behind Toews at center?

For the record, I think Larsson is significantly better than Bolland.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Lines, Schmines.... are GMs this inept? (Actually, don't answer :laugh: )

Do we have to live by the roster structure of teams to understand the types of players, skillsets, etc and how those players/skills are valued?

Did Dave Bolland get 3 million because he played with Sharp/Hossa and Chi viewed him as a 2nd line center?

Or Did Dave Bolland get 3 million because he was a defensive center on a team that had nothing behind Toews at center?

For the record, I think Larsson is significantly better than Bolland.

Larsson's got more spine than Bolland. :help::laugh: Too soon?

Anyway, I like Larsson a lot, much in a Sami Pahlsson kind of way. If they can economize there, I'm pleased. If not... well... they still have him. :laugh:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Larsson's got more spine than Bolland. :help::laugh: Too soon?

Anyway, I like Larsson a lot, much in a Sami Pahlsson kind of way. If they can economize there, I'm pleased. If not... well... they still have him. :laugh:

exactly... and while Sami wasn't Selanne, Pronger, Nieds, etc.... he was a core component of that championship team.

Did anaheim ever really find his replacement? Why would anyone shed a tear over over spending on perceived market value if they could have Sami locked in for ages 23-30 of his career? Just take a core component of winning hockey, and lock it in long term and a slightly inflated cost.... thats how you win long term IMO. It's not saving a half a million in cap space, it's about eliminating roster holes. I'll save cap space not overpaying in other areas I see as less important/valuable.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
exactly... and while Sami wasn't Selanne, Pronger, Nieds, etc.... he was a core component of that championship team.

Did anaheim ever really find his replacement? Would signing him long term for above the percieved market value been a good move for them?

Long-term, yes. Above perceived market value is where I waffle on this -- if I'm hedging somewhere, it would be on dollar rather than term with Larsson.

And to the earlier point, Larsson only has 3 more years before UFA. This is his fourth pro season.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Long-term, yes. Above perceived market value is where I waffle on this -- if I'm hedging somewhere, it would be on dollar rather than term with Larsson.

And to the earlier point, Larsson only has 3 more years before UFA. This is his fourth pro season.

that;s what I thought.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Go back and read the beginning pages of this thread from Summer 2014 when he had played 30 NHL games. The role / style he was projected to be, is what he has shown to be.

I'd be fine with a long-term deal for Larsson (6-8 years) at $18-28M. Cost control the future. Worst case: trade him, or move him to 4th line center. I always prefer >/= 2 centers or center-capable players in the 4th line and the extra forwards.

As to Layne's comment he'd prefer to keep Foligno over Larsson, I disagree.
Foligno's a year older, and has played twice as many NHL games.
Larsson is a lot more consistent, IMO.
Larsson plays center, and can play it well. Foligno has played center experimentally, but is more ideally a wing.
Foligno plays a heavier game, but Larsson is more difficult-to-play against for 200' (and his heavy game is no slouch for his size / lower center of gravity).
Larsson is better skater.
Larsson is better defensively.
Larsson has a way better shot (that snipe in the Toronto game down the right wing was a beauty).
None of this is a knock on Foligno.

Sabres need center depth for deep playoff runs. Retaining Larsson for as much of the timeframe Eichel/Reinhart/O'Reilly will be under contract helps ensure that 2 of the other 3 will be playing together on a line. (signing Larsson to term protects that plan moreso than losing him after a 2 year bridge and hoping for adequate fill-in).

Signing Larsson long term makes the prospect of Girgensons traded for LHD help more palatable. (And I'm not seeking to move Girgensons, but if you need to give to get, so be it.)

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
Theoretics-

Bridge- 2-3years @ 2 mil per=
4-6 million

Next contract goes
2-4 years @ 2.5mil = 5-10mil

Potential years and cost: 4 years @9 mil= 2.25 mil average

7 years @ 16 mil= 2.28 mil average

This is moderate to no increase in play.

Proposed- 5-7 years @ 3.5 per

You will have to excuse my math if I am wrong. I posted in semi haste at work. But you get my point

eating million per year if he makes absolutely no progress at all I am fine with. His defense justifies his being here. Let's say that this year continues on into next and he turns into that 30-40 point guy who plays shutdown defense. That bridge comes up and teams are beating down the door to sign him for over 4 mil. All I am saying is that the risk is basically nothing. Why risk losing him over what I see is at most a 1 million dollar overpayment? The years I am fairly open to but I want to lock him up long term.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Did anaheim ever really find his replacement? Why would anyone shed a tear over over spending on perceived market value if they could have Sami locked in for ages 23-30 of his career? Just take a core component of winning hockey, and lock it in long term and a slightly inflated cost.... thats how you win long term IMO. It's not saving a half a million in cap space, it's about eliminating roster holes. I'll save cap space not overpaying in other areas I see as less important/valuable.

Exactly. Filling the hole / key role protects the plan. Not filling holes leaves you so much more vulnerable. (Which, not to go off topic, is why Chad Johnson for 2-3 years at $2-2.5M per is the right move too. Protects the plan in goal - Lehner's injury risk - and does it in cost-controlled fashion. I want to spend as little money as possible in aggregate in goal to get >0.91% goaltending for as many games as possible in aggregate, and put the differential cost of a 0.93% or whatever "star" goalie into skaters who actually contribute to shot differential).

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Exactly. Filling the hole / key role protects the plan. Not filling holes leaves you so much more vulnerable. (Which, not to go off topic, is why Chad Johnson for 2-3 years at $2-2.5M per is the right move too. Protects the plan in goal - Lehner's injury risk - and does it in cost-controlled fashion. I want to spend as little money as possible in aggregate in goal to get >0.91% goaltending for as many games as possible in aggregate, and put the differential cost of a 0.93% or whatever "star" goalie into skaters who actually contribute to shot differential).

you and me both my friend

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Larsson's role has a core level of importance and we'll probably need someone to do the things he does to be ultimately successful, but isn't so difficult or unique that Johan Larsson is the only player we'll encounter capable of doing those things.

We already have another one. Girgs was playing the exact same role at the start of the season, and he did goal prevention wise better job with lesser linemates (Moulson and Gionta who played worse hockey than he has in our current third line). And I'm NOT saying there is somekind of choice between the two of them...

As it has been pointed out, Bolland played as a second-line center having toughest match-ups. And he also scored 47 points on regular season and 12 points in 17 playoff games before his 2nd contract...

Dave Bolland is extremely poor comparable here.

Are you comparing them today, or at the expiration of their ELCs

Now. After his ELC Krüger got two years bridge worth of 1,325 million and after that one year bridge worth of 1,5 millions. After that he got his coming three year deal worth of 3 millions including two UFA years. And after every contract Krüger's value became higher because he was more proven, established and had more integral role. You can calculate his average cap hit from his six years after ELC. And after that I recommend to think the proper value for Larsson after his first full season.

I think you're doing a bad job as a GM with cookie cutter approaches like that.

:handclap:

Many things can change over the course of a career. Larsson's worth measured against Kruger today, may not hold over the next 2-4 years.

Yeah, for example that Larsson never becomes even close the player Krüger is.

Larsson's role is undervalued and not easy to fill. The Sabres haven't had a high level checking line center in ages.

I'm not undervaluing his role. I'm just saying that you don't overpay for a player because of his role. There is a reason why guys like Vlasic and Hjalmarsson are getting paid like they are. Defensive acumen doesn't deserve that much money nonetheless that being an important role. And you absolutely don't pay that kind of money to a guy having four RFA years ahead of him (him having little leverage).

That is the easy, and passive approach. And it's very likely to work out... in the short term. You save some cap space in the meaningless cap years 2016-2018. Maybe you continue to save in the following deal, maybe you don't. Maybe Larsson pushes for a deal that gets him to free agency and you lose him at 26/27 years old. Maybe he signs long term on the 2nd deal.

And you believe that Larsson will significantly increase his value? Turn out to be significantly better than Krüger?

I think it's pretty clear that Larsson is not going to play as a winger anymore. And he is not going to be a top-6 center.

Let's say he has this role as a second highest QoC center (behind ROR/Reinhart) and having significant amount of d-zone starts. Krüger, for example, is having less than 20 % o-zone-start and is having that kind of role. And Larsson most likely will have pretty much no PP time. That means even more troubles for scoring. It's pipedreaming that Larsson will score significantly higher numbers from that same role than Krüger.

Krüger is established, he has already a winning pedigree - in a western team. He has shown to be effective with different linemates on a yearly basis. He has shown to be successful in playoffs. None of that applies to Larsson.

This talk about giving Larsson 8 year deal is ridiculous and absurd. Just take a look at the players that have gotten max term contracts. They're all franchise (or at least close) players. They're not elite on their role - they're elite on their position.

I'm all for giving Larsson time to establish himself and keep developing. Giving him opportunity to prove that he is able to be an effective shutdown center with different players on a regular basis. He hasn't shown that yet. After his ELC Krüger got bridge deals and got better... And his value never exploded. The possibility of getting 500k cap savings just isn't worth the risk of paying above Krüger money to a player who is not on that level. Let him prove himself, and lock him long-term after that. In his perceived role, he is not going to explode offensively.

If Larsson ends up being equivalent to Krüger, we all should celebrate like a mad man.

I prefer certainty. I am confident in the role Larsson can perform at a high level, I have a value I can place on that role over the long term. With those 2 things, I lock him up long term. And focus the decision making on the harder decisions

You're talking about this 8 year deal here?

And I do remember the talk about Hodgson as well... Great value for a player who confidently will be high level performer..

It's just doesn't always go like that. That's the reason you see only rarely players having those max term deals. And the reason is not that players don't want them...

When did pro season started to matter regarding UFA-status? It has always been about accrued seasons. It's about having 7 accrued seasons or becoming 27 on the season before the season entering UFA. Larsson is July born, which gives him one "extra" year compared to the guys born on June and before that. I'm more than happy to be corrected by dotcommunism or someone else with the knowledge.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Kruger at 22/23
125 NHL games / 39 points
Larsson at 22/23
141 NHL games / 37 points

Of course, Kruger played most of those games on a contender... and Larsson on....

I'd post GF/GA wowy stats... but someone might cry.

I think Kruger is a fantastic player, and Larsson is already his equal, and heading past him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We already have another one. Girgs was playing the exact same role at the start of the season, and he did goal prevention wise better job with lesser linemates (Moulson and Gionta who played worse hockey than he has in our current third line). And I'm NOT saying there is somekind of choice between the two of them...

As it has been pointed out, Bolland played as a second-line center having toughest match-ups. And he also scored 47 points on regular season and 12 points in 17 playoff games before his 2nd contract...

Dave Bolland is extremely poor comparable here.

Now. After his ELC Krüger got two years bridge worth of 1,325 million and after that one year bridge worth of 1,5 millions. After that he got his coming three year deal worth of 3 millions including two UFA years. And after every contract Krüger's value became higher because he was more proven, established and had more integral role. You can calculate his average cap hit from his six years after ELC. And after that I recommend to think the proper value for Larsson after his first full season.

Yeah, for example that Larsson never becomes even close the player Krüger is.

I'm not undervaluing his role. I'm just saying that you don't overpay for a player because of his role. There is a reason why guys like Vlasic and Hjalmarsson are getting paid like they are. Defensive acumen doesn't deserve that much money nonetheless that being an important role. And you absolutely don't pay that kind of money to a guy having four RFA years ahead of him (him having little leverage).

And you believe that Larsson will significantly increase his value? Turn out to be significantly better than Krüger?

I think it's pretty clear that Larsson is not going to play as a winger anymore. And he is not going to be a top-6 center.

Let's say he has this role as a second highest QoC center (behind ROR/Reinhart) and having significant amount of d-zone starts. Krüger, for example, is having less than 20 % o-zone-start and is having that kind of role. And Larsson most likely will have pretty much no PP time. That means even more troubles for scoring. It's pipedreaming that Larsson will score significantly higher numbers from that same role than Krüger.

Krüger is established, he has already a winning pedigree - in a western team. He has shown to be effective with different linemates on a yearly basis. He has shown to be successful in playoffs. None of that applies to Larsson.

This talk about giving Larsson 8 year deal is ridiculous and absurd. Just take a look at the players that have gotten max term contracts. They're all franchise (or at least close) players. They're not elite on their role - they're elite on their position.

I'm all for giving Larsson time to establish himself and keep developing. Giving him opportunity to prove that he is able to be an effective shutdown center with different players on a regular basis. He hasn't shown that yet. After his ELC Krüger got bridge deals and got better... And his value never exploded. The possibility of getting 500k cap savings just isn't worth the risk of paying above Krüger money to a player who is not on that level. Let him prove himself, and lock him long-term after that. In his perceived role, he is not going to explode offensively.

If Larsson ends up being equivalent to Krüger, we all should celebrate like a mad man.

You're talking about this 8 year deal here?

And I do remember the talk about Hodgson as well... Great value for a player who confidently will be high level performer..

It's just doesn't always go like that. That's the reason you see only rarely players having those max term deals. And the reason is not that players don't want them...

When did pro season started to matter regarding UFA-status? It has always been about accrued seasons. It's about having 7 accrued seasons or becoming 27 on the season before the season entering UFA. Larsson is July born, which gives him one "extra" year compared to the guys born on June and before that. I'm more than happy to be corrected by dotcommunism or someone else with the knowledge.

Seven seasons or 27 years of age. He'll have his seven. Or just trust that there are people who actually bother to also read the CBA other than dot.

10.1 Unrestricted Free Agents.
(a) Group 3 Players and Free Agents.
(i) Any Player who either has seven (7) Accrued Seasons or is 27 years of age
or older as of June 30 of the end of a League Year, shall, if his most recent
SPC has expired, with such expiry occurring either as of June 30 of such
League Year or June 30 of any prior League Year, become an Unrestricted
Free Agent. Such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an
SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and
sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being
subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any
other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Seven seasons or 27 years of age. He'll have his seven. Or just trust that there are people who actually bother to also read the CBA other than dot. :shakehead

Pro season and accrued season is not the same thing. I already said that.

Player gets an accrued season when he stays on the roster at least 40 games (no need to play those games).

Last edited by a moderator:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Kruger at 22/23
125 NHL games / 39 points
Larsson at 22/23
141 NHL games / 37 points

And you also think that Larsson played last season the same role as a center as he has played this season? Krüger never has played in that role. And those games impact Larsson numbers pretty significantly.

You do remember the talk about Girgs' lesser points this season compared to last season? Yeah, you're doing the same thing in a way - now just being the guy who is not able to recognize the difference between the roles...

I'd post GF/GA wowy stats... but someone might cry.

I think Kruger is a fantastic player, and Larsson is already his equal, and heading past him.

Any reasoning behind this, well, pretty bold statement?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad