Player Discussion Johan Larsson

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Those were the best offensive minutes that the team could provide for a player in that position. It was the same with Girgs. Like we have talked, and you agreed, the role and position matters. But for some reason the pretty much exact same thing doesn't seem to apply on Larsson. Strange.

there's a difference between understanding role/usage... and understanding the 2013-15 Buffalo Sabres

And you say they had the same role? You remember how Larsson produced on bottom-6 role that same year?

with AHLers, yes, i do

And considering that Krüger got 28 points before that season and 26 points after that season, what did we learn? That Kane is so bad offensive player he drags Krüger production down? Of course not. Krüger was playing in offensive role for a brief time because Bolland went down. That 168 minutes is pretty meaningless in the big picture. If the debate was that which one of them were better center offensively for Kane in a offensive role, it would matter a lot more.

Or did we learn that Larsson is able to produce offense when moving up in to a scoring role on the worst team ever, and Kruger is not able to produce offense in possibly the most favorable offensive scenario in the league?

"Small samples for both... yada yada."

We had this same conversation... I said that I see both of them being good defensive players. And while I think Girgs is better, I could see someone legitimately thinking otherwise. But not "significantly better".

You still think Girgs is better? :laugh:

I have several times offered metrics highly supporting my point of view. And I have seen zero attempts from you trying to prove anything else. You usually like to throw those same metrics everywhere - usually they are the sole argument. But for some reason you simply neglect all that data in this case...

The metrics are never the sole argument. I've seen you struggle enough with the appropriate usage/break of the metrics.

They both are good defensive players with different defensive strengths. Larsson is better positionally and reading the game, while Girgs is better at breaking the possession in a puck battle (being stronger, bigger, faster and having better reach), and getting the puck out of the zone controlled. You seem to see most of the time the "classic" attributes of defensive game (positioning and reading the game).

the bolded is where you went wrong... it's why you thought Girgs was better at center (you were wrong).

And because I don't have crystall ball you have, I cannot say that Larsson won't become "significantly better" in the future.

Interesting, since you crystal ball'd Larsson becoming better than Kruger last year.

The talk is extremely active here compared to other boards (regarding one, specific team). You usually just end up jumping into ongoing conversation. Especially because I unfortunately don't have (enough) time to write here constantly.

i started this conversation

Of course he didn't, his contract covered 4 RFA years and 1 UFA years... It's the same reason you see Mark Stone, Tyler Johnson, Ryan Johansen and Ondrej Palat playing under contracts like they do.

I don't think the players where you can and should take advantage of RFA to suppress their costs (knowing they will cost significantly more in the future - scorers) is a relevant example in locking up a checking line center long term.

Throwing UFA money for RFA players is extremely stupid. That's why you don't see that happening. That's why Bolland didn't get second line center contract regarding money.

Trapping yourself with parameters like that is extremely stupid

Considering that Krüger got 1,35 millions, where is this number based on? He got 800k contract after last season.

he got that contract coming off a season in which he played nearly half the year in the AHL.

If we see him role similar to Krüger, what is his offensive growth exactly? Close to 40 points? I mean, I doubt there is a single player in the league who plays similar role with the same usage as Krüger and pots way above 30 points a season.

i don't expect a checking line center to hit 40.

Yeah he could, but why would he if we offer him market value contract (Krüger)? You have yourself said several times that players don't like to leave guaranteed money on the table. So why would Larsson?

other opportunities, to make more money... after we suppressed his earnings. Low risk? maybe. But the gains you've attained through the bridge and suppress process gained little of value.

And that is not similar to Krüger's contract. The contract you describe eats zero (0) UFA years, while Krüger's eats two. There is massive difference. In Krüger's contract there is 1/3 RFA years, and in Larsson's 2/2.

That scenario is based on pretty questionable presumptions.

So is the bridge IMO

And what did STL offer to him? And is Larsson using KHL as leverage a legit possibility?

sure, why not?

Being confident is not enough. Being confident regarding Hodgson, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown, Stephen Weiss etc, is not enough. Making 8 year deals on non-franchise players based on your "confidence", gets you mike milburied pretty fast. Giving him 8 year contract is a risk, that we're not forced to take. Or why you don't think there isn't any more those contracts handed. Those same principles applies basically to any player you're "confident" in. Is that because GMs are not "confident" in any players like Larsson? Is it because the players don't like those kind of contracts? I would really like to hear an answer for that.

And being risk averse gets you bloated contracts down the line.

The Flyers bridged Couturier for 2 years, and now are paying him 4.333 for the next 5 years.

Similarly, Minny didn't waste time bridging Coyle. They identified him as a core piece, even though he's not a top tier talent. And the've got him for the 5 years at 3.2 per.

I personally do believe that locking Larsson for overall 6-7 years shouldn't be that hard. For example after two year bridge you give him 4-5 year extension. During that time you most likely have a better grasp what you're paying for - is it a krüger or a boyd gordon.

As long as you acknowledge the risk you are taking on (Larsson drives his value up, Larsson opts for a straight to free agency contract after the bridge). Then we can agree that you are low level risk averse and I am confident in Larsson.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Bolland's contract was inflated after playoff success. Larsson won't have that going for him. I don't mind going 5 yrs to eat up UFA time, but it's pretty fair to offer 2.5 or so...much higher is a stretch. Regardless of having confidence in his game, I think the tone with the organization is that you have to earn it. Larsson hasn't earned a long term contract over 3 mil per.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
By that time I was a bit blinded by Larsson's season ending regarding his offensive game (something I can admit) and potential.

So, "because points"... you weren't actually a good judge of on ice play?

I have also said that I think Larsson can be a poor man's ROR. But I don't think that anymore, really.

Yea, you're opinion on Larsson changed significantly over the course of the offseason. In fact, your opinion happened to change right around when "Larsson is significantly better defensively than Girgensons" happened.

It's not points, or eyes....

I think Krüger is the best comparable ATM (like I said there I thought that Larsson will be better player offensively).

Why did you think that? Besides points...

And that would be a really good outcoming as well, but it's not granted. At that time my expectations regarding Larsson were higher. Not that I think he will be a bum or anything atm either.

Ironically... you were closer to being right, when you thought you were blind.

Not that I wouldn't want us to have that center group any less atm. :laugh: Wouldn't really matter which one of Larsson or Krüger is the fourth or third line guy.

I'd take Larsson over Kruger right now. He's got a much better offensive tool set, while being equals defensively. I know that's hard to believe with Larsson point production. But... usage... it matters. Team/Linemates... it matters.

But I give you credit for actually digging something up this time. Not that it was anything that was asked for or anything that was actually relevant here right now.

Or did you have some deeper point there? I mean, beside trying to ridicule me in general?

You don't think your Larsson/Kruger opinion from 12 months ago is relevant in a Larsson/Kruger debate?

It wasn't to ridicule you. It was to remind you. Unfortunately, you felt they need to take the embarrassing "back track" angle

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Larsson's good but is he 8 year contract right now good?

Here's an interesting tool I found that lists all the contracts in the NHL, and you can sort by length: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/contract-length/

We can ignore everything more than 8yrs because that was previous CBA for sure. Here's the list of players in the NHL currently on 8 year contracts:

Corey Perry
Dustin Brown
Brian Campbell
Tuuka Rask
Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Anze Kopitar
Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin
PK Subban
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jonathan Toews
Ryan Getzlaf
Claude Giroux
Rick Nash
Travis Zajac
Patrice Bergeron

This is admittingly a pretty simplistic way to look at it, but do we really think that Larsson should be included in (most of) that group?

If you wanna frame the debate about whether players of Larsson's role are undervalued and should be given longer term contracts early that's one thing. But there's pretty much less than a snowball's chance in hell that he's actually getting an 8 year contract extension. GM's just don't give those contracts to the Johan Larssons of the NHL.

Kennerdell

Nov 11, 2015
Maryland
I am totally on board with a 4-6 year deal and I wouldn't event think twice about it. Gut feeling and eye test. My gut is usually right

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Larsson's good but is he 8 year contract right now good?

Here's an interesting tool I found that lists all the contracts in the NHL, and you can sort by length: http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/contract-length/

We can ignore everything more than 8yrs because that was previous CBA for sure. Here's the list of players in the NHL currently on 8 year contracts:

Corey Perry
Dustin Brown
Brian Campbell
Tuuka Rask
Patrick Kane
Phil Kessel
Anze Kopitar
Brent Seabrook
Drew Doughty
Kris Letang
Evgeni Malkin
PK Subban
Vladimir Tarasenko
Jonathan Toews
Ryan Getzlaf
Claude Giroux
Rick Nash
Travis Zajac
Patrice Bergeron

This is admittingly a pretty simplistic way to look at it, but do we really think that Larsson should be included in (most of) that group?

If you wanna frame the debate about whether players of Larsson's role are undervalued and should be given longer term contracts early that's one thing. But there's pretty much less than a snowball's chance in hell that he's actually getting an 8 year contract extension. GM's just don't give those contracts to the Johan Larssons of the NHL.

From that perspective, it's crazy

But be forward thinking.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

But be forward thinking.

I wouldn't mind if we signed Johan to an 8 year deal. I'd welcome it, even.

But it's not happening. I think the longest deal we can realistically hope to see is 5 years. More likely, he'll be getting 3 or 4 IMO.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
there's a difference between understanding role/usage... and understanding the 2013-15 Buffalo Sabres

Yes, but it really doesn't make that big of a difference.

Or are you actually saying that you have rounded up your opinion and saying the people were legitimately down on Girgs's scoring? This is the second time you're referring to the same logic that you were against on other subject...

with AHLers, yes, i do

So Larsson scoring was down on bottom-6 role because he was playing with AHLers. There wasn't really other reasons?

And Larsson scored 4 points on his rookie season in 28 games. Krüger, while being a year younger, scored 26 points in 71 games (and he didn't play with Kane...).

Or did we learn that Larsson is able to produce offense when moving up in to a scoring role on the worst team ever, and Kruger is not able to produce offense in possibly the most favorable offensive scenario in the league?

He wasn't able to produce in a scoring role this season. I have watched Larsson two seasons in Rochester where he was mainly playing as a winger, in a scoring role. He simply wasn't able to translate that dimension on NHL-level, based on this season.

"Small samples for both... yada yada."

It's not only about small sample size (nice try to proactively trying to counter an argument even you yourself cannot say anything against. :) )

How Krüger did with Kane in 168 minutes doesn't really matter when we're talking about him as shut-down center. He has shown to be more productive in that role - it's all that matters.

You still think Girgs is better? :laugh:

Yes. And I have offered plenty of metrics and even pointed out specific game play situations (with exact playtime markers). You have mostly concentrated on trying to ridicule your counterpart with posts like this, and trying to look smart in any other way but actually backing up your claims. Not that it isn't typical.

For example in that Islanders game Girgs replaced Larsson, he played against Tavares/Nielsen, won 67% of the face-offs, kept the unscored when he was on the ice, tied possession-wise with Tavares and created the offense in a similar way that the line did with Larsson (from down-low to blueline). Sure, that's extremely small sample-size, but it's consistent with Girgs play in a similar role with lesser linemates previously.

The metrics are never the sole argument. I've seen you struggle enough with the appropriate usage/break of the metrics.

I would love you to be more specific here, but I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting that to happen - I might became very blue!

the bolded is where you went wrong... it's why you thought Girgs was better at center (you were wrong).

Like I said, I have actually shown specific situations from a game - while you have done pretty much nothing.

For example, on that second Columbus' goal in the previous game, Larsson lacked the reach and explosiveness to intercept the player giving the pass to Foligno. Larsson wasn't to blame on that goal, but if he had have better reach and explosiveness, he might have prevented the goal.

Interesting, since you crystal ball'd Larsson becoming better than Kruger last year.

I think there is a clear difference between saying under a context of trading for a specific player that you think that a player A will be better than a player B, than to say that you're willing to give 8 year contract based on that opinion. If you had asked me that am I so confident, that I would give him 8 year deal, I wouldn't say that "yeah, I'm that confident". Far from it.

i started this conversation

The size of your ego doesn't seem to have any limits. :laugh:

You weren't the person who bumped this thread up NOR you were the person who brought up the topic of Larsson's extension. You were the one who brought up this silly thing about giving a bottom-6 player with only one full season under him 8 year deal. You were just among other posters to give your opinion about the question asked by bluetooth.

When I entered this conversation, I didn't commented on your "8 year deal", because, honestly, it didn't really deserve any commenting. I simply offered a proper comparable, in my opinion, to follow.

It was you who (again) decided to grab on my posts.

You actually seem to believe that the world revolves around you. :laugh:

I don't think the players where you can and should take advantage of RFA to suppress their costs (knowing they will cost significantly more in the future - scorers) is a relevant example in locking up a checking line center long term.

I have already asked you that where is this idea about Larsson significantly raising his value comes from? I asked you that do you believe that he will significantly exceed Krüger's offensive numbers in a similar, extremely offensively restricted role?

Trapping yourself with parameters like that is extremely stupid

You do understand that you're basically saying that as a GM you're not using the very leverage that the RFA/UFA system gives you? Operating like you don't have that leverage is extremely stupid. :)

he got that contract coming off a season in which he played nearly half the year in the AHL.

And where he potted about half of his current NHL point totals. So how was it, was the season Larsson had last year a good or bad example of his skillset? You seem to have difficulties at deciding.

i don't expect a checking line center to hit 40.

I thought so. So If Larsson exceeds Krügers numbers by with 5 or so, it affects his value pretty much zero at all. Larsson's offensive production (which is pretty much the only way to raise your value significantly) is going to jump out based on what? What exactly will make him SO MUCH more valuable player than Krüger for example? If he is playing the exact same role.

other opportunities, to make more money... after we suppressed his earnings. Low risk? maybe. But the gains you've attained through the bridge and suppress process gained little of value.

You mean like Krüger and Sean Couturier did with their respective teams? Yeah, it's a possibility. But you (or any other actual GM) don't offer 8 year deals based on the possibility of a bottom-6 player leaving fair money on the table.

So is the bridge IMO

Yeah, the risks have been illustrated.

sure, why not?

You didn't answer the first question.

How many Swedes have used KHL as a leverage in the history? How many Swedes have left one-way contract with guaranteed roster spot on the table to go to KHL?

And being risk averse gets you bloated contracts down the line.

The Flyers bridged Couturier for 2 years, and now are paying him 4.333 for the next 5 years.

Couturier signed 6 year contract... No need to thank, I'm pretty used to correct you on these factual matters. :)

But it's interesting you brought up Couturier as an example. I mean, Couturier is the player you have been ready to trade picks that would have ensured you 1) Sam Reinhart and 2) Aleksander Barkov. You have also indicated Couturier becoming a player between Kopitar and ROR.

It's more than evident that you have been pretty "confident" with Couturier. And by your "confidence" route, you would have already gave him 8 year number one center money (most likely at least 6 million a year minimum). So now, taking the risk averse route, gave Philly the exact same 8 years of services, with SIGNIFICANTLY less money spent.

Similarly, Minny didn't waste time bridging Coyle. They identified him as a core piece, even though he's not a top tier talent. And the've got him for the 5 years at 3.2 per.

I'm absolutely not saying that you shouldn't ever give long-term contracts (actually, I think the opposite). But it's about figuring out the right players, in the right role to give those contracts. Is it a player who will likely play in a role and to succeed in a role that gets paid? Or is it a player playing in a role where you don't usually see big money paid, and getting raise in general is difficult?

As long as you acknowledge the risk you are taking on (Larsson drives his value up, Larsson opts for a straight to free agency contract after the bridge). Then we can agree that you are low level risk averse and I am confident in Larsson.

Yes, there is a chance of Larsson driving his value up. But in a role similar with Krüger (something we both can agree being quite probable for him in the future?), the probabilities of that to happen are not that great.

So, "because points"... you weren't actually a good judge of on ice play?

Of course I was. Just like I (and probably you?) watched Girgensons as well.

Like I said, I have actually watched Larsson a really good chunk in Rochester. He was able to produce offense there really well. I was also mirroring his games against that background, but this season took a big toll on him regarding that (he was offensively nothing like he was in Roch).

Yea, you're opinion on Larsson changed significantly over the course of the offseason. In fact, your opinion happened to change right around when "Larsson is significantly better defensively than Girgensons" happened.

Oh baby Jesus... You actually think that your opinion about a certain player affects my opinion? :laugh: This is another great example of you thinking that you're somekind of center of the universe.

No, my opinion didn't chance because of your one post. :laugh: It changed because I used to think that he has the potential to be a poor man's ROR (Frans Nielsen being a pretty good example), but I haven't seen the offense or level of play. I thought he could be a top-6 caliber center playing in a third-line. Now I see him having great chances of becoming a good possession based shut-down center being able to throw offense here and there, but not something that will be a clear aspect of his game.

Why did you think that? Besides points...

Because I have watched him a lot in Roch.

Ironically... you were closer to being right, when you thought you were blind.

Yeah, I was "closer" being right. :laugh:

I'd take Larsson over Kruger right now. He's got a much better offensive tool set, while being equals defensively. I know that's hard to believe with Larsson point production. But... usage... it matters. Team/Linemates... it matters.

You have your right on your opinion. And beside you not exactly offering any reasoning (beside that irrelevant 168 minutes with Kane tidbit) behind it, I'm not throwing jabs this time.

But as you said, usage, linemates etc. matters. Let's see when Larsson gets his offensive opportunities as reduced (no PP time and less than 20% o-zone-starts etc) with changing and different linemates.

You don't think your Larsson/Kruger opinion from 12 months ago is relevant in a Larsson/Kruger debate?

After I have seen Larsson playing a full season and after seeing Larsson first time on the similar role as Krüger? No, I don't think that is that relevant. At least not that relevant that you should ignore many of my other arguments instead of that.

It wasn't to ridicule you. It was to remind you. Unfortunately, you felt they need to take the embarrassing "back track" angle

I don't really need any reminding. I do remember thinking that Larsson could have potential to be a quality top-6 caliber center based on his AHL seasons.

But be forward thinking.

Yeah, like you said. It's crazy. And you never answered to my questions (just like I thought you wouldn't):

Being confident is not enough. Being confident regarding Hodgson, Mike Richards, Dustin Brown, Stephen Weiss etc, is not enough. Making 8 year deals on non-franchise players based on your "confidence", gets you mike milburied pretty fast. Giving him 8 year contract is a risk, that we're not forced to take. Or why you don't think there isn't any more those contracts handed. Those same principles applies basically to any player you're "confident" in. Is that because GMs are not "confident" in any players like Larsson? Is it because the players don't like those kind of contracts? I would really like to hear an answer for that.

If giving 8 years deals to bottom-6 players after their first full season is so smart, why you don't see ANY GM operating that way?

Jame, are you willing to take a bet? I'm sure you think that Tim Murray must be as smart as you (or you being at least as smart as Tim Murray), I'm sure you have no problem being confident that Murray is not dumb enough to give him anything else than 8 year deal... And I'm even willing to better your chances.. If Larsson gets at least 6 year long deal, you win. If he gets anything less than that, I win. You can set the wager.

Easy win for you - assumed you think that Murray is at least as smart as you're...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes, but it really doesn't make that big of a difference.

Or are you actually saying that you have rounded up your opinion and saying the people were legitimately down on Girgs's scoring? This is the second time you're referring to the same logic that you were against on other subject...

So Larsson scoring was down on bottom-6 role because he was playing with AHLers. There wasn't really other reasons?

And Larsson scored 4 points on his rookie season in 28 games. Krüger, while being a year younger, scored 26 points in 71 games (and he didn't play with Kane...).

You're wrong.

And you're application of logic here, fails the sniff test. Comparing two players on the Sabres who shared similar roles across two very different Sabres teams... is not the same as comparing players across the sabres and blackhawks.

He wasn't able to produce in a scoring role this season. I have watched Larsson two seasons in Rochester where he was mainly playing as a winger, in a scoring role. He simply wasn't able to translate that dimension on NHL-level, based on this season.

I don't believe for second that you watched any Rochester games.

I'm not that concerned with his time on the wing, with a rookie center... It's not representative of his offense at all.

But if you want, I will stand up his time at center on a scoring line in 14-15 against his time on wing on a scoring line in 15-16. The total games is probably the same. He's a center. Period.

That's the interesting thing, and a clue in to your bias/agenda. You've taken information from Larsson's limited time on wing with Eichel (small sample), and overrode your previously complimentary and high opinion of his offense... an opinion you drew from his time in Rochester AT CENTER, and his time on a scoring line in the NHL AT CENTER.

It's a pretty strong confirmation of bias... or stupidity. take your pick.

How Krüger did with Kane in 168 minutes doesn't really matter when we're talking about him as shut-down center. He has shown to be more productive in that role - it's all that matters.

And just a few paragraphs ago you argued Larsson's time in a scoring role.... the reality is that Larsson has been effective at center in a scoring role, and Kruger has not. that's a significant difference in both their talent and projecting their value.

Yes. And I have offered plenty of metrics and even pointed out specific game play situations (with exact playtime markers). You have mostly concentrated on trying to ridicule your counterpart with posts like this, and trying to look smart in any other way but actually backing up your claims. Not that it isn't typical.

We've had plenty of metric back and forth. You can continue to pretend you are the only one who presented data.

For example in that Islanders game Girgs replaced Larsson, he played against Tavares/Nielsen, won 67% of the face-offs, kept the unscored when he was on the ice, tied possession-wise with Tavares and created the offense in a similar way that the line did with Larsson (from down-low to blueline). Sure, that's extremely small sample-size, but it's consistent with Girgs play in a similar role with lesser linemates previously.

Again, the stats relative to a Girgs/Larsson center comparison have been shared ad nauseum. There's a reason Larsson is playing a locked in shutdown center role... and Girgs is floating around the lineup primarily as a winger.

I would love you to be more specific here, but I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting that to happen - I might became very blue!

you should

Like I said, I have actually shown specific situations from a game - while you have done pretty much nothing.

You pretend you're the only one who has shown anything. I don't care. I read your horrible breakdown of "Larsson failing to break possession". I also read you're laughable breakdown of swarm defense. It was entertaining stuff. But just because you put candles in it, doesn't make it a birthday cake. Your turd, is still a turd.

For example, on that second Columbus' goal in the previous game, Larsson lacked the reach and explosiveness to intercept the player giving the pass to Foligno. Larsson wasn't to blame on that goal, but if he had have better reach and explosiveness, he might have prevented the goal.

This IS a great example. A great example of your nonsense. Everyone can judge for themselves.

I think there is a clear difference between saying under a context of trading for a specific player that you think that a player A will be better than a player B, than to say that you're willing to give 8 year contract based on that opinion. If you had asked me that am I so confident, that I would give him 8 year deal, I wouldn't say that "yeah, I'm that confident". Far from it.

It has nothing to do with the 8 year contract.

The size of your ego doesn't seem to have any limits. :laugh:

The mountain of your BS reaches the stars.

I have already asked you that where is this idea about Larsson significantly raising his value comes from? I asked you that do you believe that he will significantly exceed Krüger's offensive numbers in a similar, extremely offensively restricted role?

Defensive play will continue to go up in value. Larsson's offensive talent will be in a better situation to be productive (set role for entire season, stable PP time)

You do understand that you're basically saying that as a GM you're not using the very leverage that the RFA/UFA system gives you? Operating like you don't have that leverage is extremely stupid. :)

It's extremely stupid to ignore the human factors in using leverage. You're not leveraging an inanimate object. That leverage is why Sobotka is in the KHL.

And where he potted about half of his current NHL point totals. So how was it, was the season Larsson had last year a good or bad example of his skillset? You seem to have difficulties at deciding.

I have no issues deciding. Larsson has proven that he can play shutdown defensive center minutes. He has also shown he can produce offense if necessary in a center role. He has also shown to be a quality PP player when needed in that role (he's been #1, and #2 in GF per 60 PP over the last 2 seasons.).

I thought so. So If Larsson exceeds Krügers numbers by with 5 or so, it affects his value pretty much zero at all. Larsson's offensive production (which is pretty much the only way to raise your value significantly) is going to jump out based on what? What exactly will make him SO MUCH more valuable player than Krüger for example? If he is playing the exact same role.

I think that's a massively naive perspective on contracts.

If you don't think agents and players are coming to the table with more than points... you're not doing a good job as a GM.

You mean like Krüger and Sean Couturier did with their respective teams? Yeah, it's a possibility. But you (or any other actual GM) don't offer 8 year deals based on the possibility of a bottom-6 player leaving fair money on the table.

As has been articulated many time already. The 8 year concept is removing any question marks about a critical roster spot for the duration of the "window". The slightly higher cost in cap space is insurance well spent.

You didn't answer the first question.

How many Swedes have used KHL as a leverage in the history? How many Swedes have left one-way contract with guaranteed roster spot on the table to go to KHL?

How many checking line center 8 year contracts have come back to bite a team in the ass?

But it's interesting you brought up Couturier as an example. I mean, Couturier is the player you have been ready to trade picks that would have ensured you 1) Sam Reinhart and 2) Aleksander Barkov. You have also indicated Couturier becoming a player between Kopitar and ROR.

You should watch who you're reading/believing. There's a little bit of context/nuance to those arguments. I'm more than happy to hang my comments over the years up against yours.

It's more than evident that you have been pretty "confident" with Couturier. And by your "confidence" route, you would have already gave him 8 year number one center money (most likely at least 6 million a year minimum). So now, taking the risk averse route, gave Philly the exact same 8 years of services, with SIGNIFICANTLY less money spent.

Why would I have given him 1st line center money? I'm sure there is some dopey logic behind how you got there.

I'm absolutely not saying that you shouldn't ever give long-term contracts (actually, I think the opposite). But it's about figuring out the right players, in the right role to give those contracts. Is it a player who will likely play in a role and to succeed in a role that gets paid? Or is it a player playing in a role where you don't usually see big money paid, and getting raise in general is difficult?

We agree. That's why given Larsson a long term deal makes perfect sense. I'm forward thinking, you're looking in the rearview mirror.

Yes, there is a chance of Larsson driving his value up. But in a role similar with Krüger (something we both can agree being quite probable for him in the future?), the probabilities of that to happen are not that great.

I think you'll be proven wrong.

Of course I was. Just like I (and probably you?) watched Girgensons as well.

Like I said, I have actually watched Larsson a really good chunk in Rochester. He was able to produce offense there really well. I was also mirroring his games against that background, but this season took a big toll on him regarding that (he was offensively nothing like he was in Roch).

We both know you did not watch Larsson in Rochester.

Oh baby Jesus... You actually think that your opinion about a certain player affects my opinion? :laugh: This is another great example of you thinking that you're somekind of center of the universe

No, my opinion didn't chance because of your one post. :laugh: It changed because I used to think that he has the potential to be a poor man's ROR (Frans Nielsen being a pretty good example), but I haven't seen the offense or level of play. I thought he could be a top-6 caliber center playing in a third-line. Now I see him having great chances of becoming a good possession based shut-down center being able to throw offense here and there, but not something that will be a clear aspect of his game.

I think my favorite part of all of this is you backing yourself into a corner, and now hanging your entire Larsson position on a 1/4 of a season in which he played out of position (Eichel wing). In May 2015 you thought:

Sure, I can see your point.

But Krüger, while being young, is already highly established, provides experience and is one of the best fourth-line-centers in the game - already.

And I don't see them being mutually exclusive. After Reinhart develops into legitimate top-6-center, you can insert Larsson as third-line-center (I think his offensive potential is higher, while I suspect he will be as a good shut-down-center as Krüger already is).

So, long-term (if Grigo is being traded)

Eichel
Reinhart
Larsson
Krüger
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=103150591&postcount=996

That was from 5/30/15.... Almost NO hockey was played in between that opinion and your opinion from the opening weeks of this season (in the Girgs/Larsson argument).

:laugh:

Because I have watched him a lot in Roch.

:laugh:

You have your right on your opinion. And beside you not exactly offering any reasoning (beside that irrelevant 168 minutes with Kane tidbit) behind it, I'm not throwing jabs this time.

But as you said, usage, linemates etc. matters. Let's see when Larsson gets his offensive opportunities as reduced (no PP time and less than 20% o-zone-starts etc) with changing and different linemates.

Yes, let's see.... when Larsson D zone role is also supported by two top tier elite lines (ROR/Eichel, Toews/Kane).

I know you actually think Kruger has more offensive talent (because points or something), but you're truly mistaken.

Yeah, like you said. It's crazy. And you never answered to my questions (just like I thought you wouldn't):

You're questions are generally stupid... see the next few:

If giving 8 years deals to bottom-6 players after their first full season is so smart, why you don't see ANY GM operating that way?

If Girgs is a better defensive center than Larsson, why isn't Girgs playing a shutdown center role?

Jame, are you willing to take a bet? I'm sure you think that Tim Murray must be as smart as you (or you being at least as smart as Tim Murray), I'm sure you have no problem being confident that Murray is not dumb enough to give him anything else than 8 year deal... And I'm even willing to better your chances.. If Larsson gets at least 6 year long deal, you win. If he gets anything less than that, I win. You can set the wager.

Easy win for you - assumed you think that Murray is at least as smart as you're...

No, I'm not willing to take a stupid bet in your straw man world.

Here's the cold hard truth. Larsson is, and has always been, a better player than Kruger. You actually used to know this as your posts from less than a year ago make clear. But in your attempts to be an internet hero you lost track of the hockey.

You want to laugh at the absurdity of my contract idea. I have no problem with that. It is certainly out of the box (even a normal sized box, as opposed to your matchbox). That's all good and dandy. But you're still wrong about Larsson.

I mean... how is Larsson ever going to eclipse Kruger's incredible 21 points over 142 games in his age 24 and 25 seasons.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Like I have said almost a year from now, I think Larsson can be a useful 4th liner, but if Bylsma is actually thinking to deploy him like he did this past season, I'm going to vomit (not because of Larsson himself, but because it means we're not going to improve).

Larsson did an okay job in a tough spot when Eichel was injured. But when Eichel came back, Larsson's defensive game pretty much totally collapsed even in an easier spot. Eye-test suggested that, but that was when the stats catched this up.

From when Eichel returned 28th November to Larsson's last game his GF and GA numbers were:

GF: 2.89
GA: 3.47

His GF number was actually really good, but especially in the long term it really doesn't matter because Larsson isn't an offense driver and offense isn't his bread and butter. But his GA number was really bad - like Deslauriers and Ennis bad.

That GA number definitely isn't the truth about Larsson's defensive game, but thinking that he would be our top shutdown center next season makes me feel just like when I saw Mike Weber penciled to the 3rd pairing about a year ago on this forum.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Like I have said almost a year from now, I think Larsson can be a useful 4th liner, but if Bylsma is actually thinking to deploy him like he did this past season, I'm going to vomit (not because of Larsson himself, but because it means we're not going to improve).

Larsson did an okay job in a tough spot when Eichel was injured. But when Eichel came back, Larsson's defensive game pretty much totally collapsed even in an easier spot. Eye-test suggested that, but that was when the stats catched this up.

From when Eichel returned 28th November to Larsson's last game his GF and GA numbers were:

GF: 2.89
GA: 3.47

His GF number was actually really good, but especially in the long term it really doesn't matter because Larsson isn't an offense driver and offense isn't his bread and butter. But his GA number was really bad - like Deslauriers and Ennis bad.

That GA number definitely isn't the truth about Larsson's defensive game, but thinking that he would be our top shutdown center next season makes me feel just like when I saw Mike Weber penciled to the 3rd pairing about a year ago on this forum.

Goes in to one thread... complains about sample size.
Goes in to another thread... uses a 13 game sample.

Don't forget the amount of line juggling that went on in december...

Regardless... you've been wrong about Larsson for quite awhile now. No one expects that to change.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Goes in to one thread... complains about sample size.
Goes in to another thread... uses a 13 game sample.

Don't forget the amount of line juggling that went on in december...

Regardless... you've been wrong about Larsson for quite awhile now. No one expects that to change.

200 minutes out of 500 minutes is 40 %... That's a sufficient sample size considering the context (Larsson's season). It seems you constantly seem to have problems understanding the basics when the discussion is about statistics.

Yeah, I remember being told that I should feel nothing but joy about Larsson, when it was pretty clear that the eye-test showed his problems on defensive side of the game. And it didn't take that long that others noticed it.

You remember who advocated giving Larsson 8 year deal worth of 3,5 millions about a year ago? Or who said that Larsson (a year ago) was already better than Marcus Krüger?

It's definitely me who is wrong about Larsson all the time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad