Injury Report: Joffrey Lupul

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
He probably just walks around saying his meniscus is broken. Puck bunny's love big words

His written work reads like a high school student most times. A poor one at that.

Edit: unfair of me. Let's save it for the hockey stuff.

Last edited:

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Wow

I'm kind of tired of all the Lupul bashing here.

How quickly we forget...

Last season he was "our true captain" and all that. He played lights out and helped Leafs make playoffs.

This season this team has NO defense whatsoever, so let's use Lupul as scapegoat? Yes he is trying to play more carefully cause he is probably tired of playing only 20 games a season! Kid wants to contribute every game and help the team! Who knows, he probably played with an injury or two this season!

Also he is stuck playing with Kadri who sucked all season.

If only you guys bashed your D nearly as much...sad

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

How quickly we forget...

Last season he was "our true captain" and all that. He played lights out and helped Leafs make playoffs.

This season this team has NO defense whatsoever, so let's use Lupul as scapegoat? Yes he is trying to play more carefully cause he is probably tired of playing only 20 games a season! Kid wants to contribute every game and help the team! Who knows, he probably played with an injury or two this season!

...Everybody's being bashed in their rightful threads.

As far as scapegoating the terrible defense, have you watched Lupul on a backcheck? The guy is coasting like he's learning to rollerblade on every play out there, waiting for Cody Franson to spring him on an odd man rush the other way... Team defense is a five man fail on the Leafs.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

I have seen Lupul work hard defensively and at times lose focus.

So yes, he is not Bolland.

At the same time, if Lupul was main issue defensively, Toronto would be in the playoffs. Every game I see your D losing their man. That's the main issue.

Can forwards backcheck better? Of course.

I would start with firing your average coach. Get a coach who believes in everyone playing 2-way hockey, especially the D but F too. I don't believe Lupul will be an issue under such a coach.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have seen Lupul work hard defensively and at times lose focus.

So yes, he is not Bolland.

At the same time, if Lupul was main issue defensively, Toronto would be in the playoffs. Every game I see your D losing their man. That's the main issue.

Can forwards backcheck better? Of course.

I would start with firing your average coach. Get a coach who believes in everyone playing 2-way hockey, especially the D but F too. I don't believe Lupul will be an issue under such a coach.

We need to do a lot of things, and getting rid of Lupul is one of them.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site

We need to do a lot of things, and getting rid of Lupul is one of them.

Let's get rid of the guy who can take over a guy by himself?

Yes he hasn't been same player this season. No one knows if he played with an injury. It's possible.

And what would u get for him about this 44 point season? Not much. You sell high and buy low...keep him

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

How quickly we forget...

I agree its sad that he gets the hate that he does.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Lupul's defensive deficiencies are not accurately discussed around here. People talk about him like he's the worst top six defensive forward on our team.

The bigger picture is that he's the one of the worst defensive top six forwards in the NHL.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

How quickly we forget...

I don't even know where to start with you. Have you been blind to the number of other player threads? Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, Ranger, Bozak, Kadri...come on. Take your love on for Lupul elsewhere if you can't handle reading some warranted criticism on the guy. His defense sucks, he's tried too much this year of being a one man show and it often results in turnovers, he's oft injured...so many irritating things to complain about the guy and I don't think his player discussion thread even hit 20pages while the likes of Phaneuf, Bozak and Clarkson have to have new threads created just to accommodate all of the discussion (which includes A LOT of criticism). In fact, Lupul's original discussion thread was buried because too many people's love on for the guy and their inability to call a spade a spade so this thread is just bringing up the criticisms that many people would love to ignore.

But yes, while there is enough evidence to prove you wrong, continue thinking we're making Lupul a scapegoat. Okay then. Player threads are about making said player accountable for his performance. I apologize on behalf of everyone else who came into a Lupul thread to talk about what a crap captain Phaneuf is or how much Clarkson sucks.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lupul's defensive deficiencies are not accurately discussed around here. People talk about him like he's the worst top six defensive forward on our team.

The bigger picture is that he's the one of the worst defensive top six forwards in the NHL.

:biglaugh:

here's something-

the average NHL player should miss 9 games a season.
Lupul missed 13 [16 at the of the season]

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Lol

Factually you are wrong.

Let's start off with the fact that for the past 6 seasons Lupul has been around even for plus/minus.

As for this season , yes, he is -15. By my count there are 13 other forwards with more points than Lupul who have a -10 or lower. Hell, Ovechkin has a -35 this season!

While Lupul has not been great defensively this season, I don't feel he is one of the worst in the NHL. He does put in the effort on the D side. He just needs to be more consistent with it. I again feel your coach doesn't really guide the F in that area much. Never liked Carlyle.

mikebel111*

I don't even know where to start with you. Have you been blind to the number of other player threads? Phaneuf, Franson, Gardiner, Ranger, Bozak, Kadri...come on. Take your love on for Lupul elsewhere if you can't handle reading some warranted criticism on the guy. His defense sucks, he's tried too much this year of being a one man show and it often results in turnovers, he's oft injured...so many irritating things to complain about the guy and I don't think his player discussion thread even hit 20pages while the likes of Phaneuf, Bozak and Clarkson have to have new threads created just to accommodate all of the discussion (which includes A LOT of criticism). In fact, Lupul's original discussion thread was buried because too many people's love on for the guy and their inability to call a spade a spade so this thread is just bringing up the criticisms that many people would love to ignore.

But yes, while there is enough evidence to prove you wrong, continue thinking we're making Lupul a scapegoat. Okay then. Player threads are about making said player accountable for his performance. I apologize on behalf of everyone else who came into a Lupul thread to talk about what a crap captain Phaneuf is or how much Clarkson sucks.

Like i said. Never blame lupul for some people.
Yes i agree kadri hasnt had a great season, but he still has more points than #truecaptainlupul and a better plus minus than lupul though both players isnt good.
Lupul deserves this criticism and 100% deserving.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
:biglaugh:

here's something-

the average NHL player should miss 9 games a season.
Lupul missed 13 [16 at the of the season]

He's just one of those players where he gets injured and you hope that it's not the kind of injury that has long term effects. He makes full recoveries, it just happens that he finds new places to get injured. He has to rank up there with some of the most unlucky players in the league. You can count on Lupul getting injured for at least once a season as much as you can count on Kessel for playing almost a full season. Their durability is completely opposite of one another. I think the year we traded for him is the only year in a Leafs sweater that he didn't get injured...but he probably filled up his quota in Anaheim that year.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Can't be a leader of the locker room when your barely in the locker room. This guy wears an A for this team and can't be relied on to be a leader when he's injured so often. The Lupul ship has sailed, time to find Kadri a line mate he can grow with. Someone preferably with a two way game.

mikebel111*

Can't be a leader of the locker room when your barely in the locker room. This guy wears an A for this team and can't be relied on to be a leader when he's injured so often. The Lupul ship has sailed, time to find Kadri a line mate he can grow with. Someone preferably with a two way game.

Man if we could land simmonds or ladd, that would be nice

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Factually you are wrong.

Let's start off with the fact that for the past 6 seasons Lupul has been around even for plus/minus.

As for this season , yes, he is -15. By my count there are 13 other forwards with more points than Lupul who have a -10 or lower. Hell, Ovechkin has a -35 this season!

While Lupul has not been great defensively this season, I don't feel he is one of the worst in the NHL. He does put in the effort on the D side. He just needs to be more consistent with it. I again feel your coach doesn't really guide the F in that area much. Never liked Carlyle.

Lupul succeeds when his coaches give him free reign to do his thing offensively with no mind paid to the finer details. He is then free to coast and wait for a stretch pass from Franson. I'd be happy to see him moved to LA if you're so appreciative of him.

ForSpareParts*

I was never a huge fan of Lupul. His leadership is as streaky as his scoring. Just because he's up there in fan voting doesn't mean he's a keeper. He and Kadri are superior defensively disinterested players.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Lupul succeeds when his coaches give him free reign to do his thing offensively with no mind paid to the finer details. He is then free to coast and wait for a stretch pass from Franson. I'd be happy to see him moved to LA if you're so appreciative of him.
I suspect Lupul would agree 100%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad