Joffery Lupul denies failing Physical. Says the Leafs "cheat, and everyone lets them"

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
He's still an employee. If he had a grievance he should have filed it and kept the matter in house, not spout off on social media. If I had beef with one of my employers and said **** about them on Twitter, I'd probably not have a job the next day.

Yep. No such thing as freedom from stupidity.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
Everybody hates teams "cheating" until there teams the one doing it

Don't kid yourself the league is more than happy to turn a blind eye, when a 20 year veteran gets put on LTIR because he's "allergic" to hockey equipment without a peep out of the league that tells you how seriously they take "cheating"

I find this hilarious. When he was making 5 million a year he was ok but
When he was only going to make a million a year he's allergic to his
Equipment. The hawks have cheated the system for years and it enabled y
Them to win a few cups in the meantime.

With the way law suits are filed these days that another reason not
To let lupul play. If we let him play and he got hurt again he could sue
By saying they made me play when I wasn't ready.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It's not the first time he's spoken out and probably won't be the last.

It IS the first he's spoken out, except for apparent rumblings from people close to him, and he deleted it within an hour.

Its quite obvious that his comments are not grounds for termination because if it was they would have terminated him by now. They don't need or want him so if that was an option I'm pretty sure they would have found a way to exercise it by now.

Talking **** about your employer on social media, by calling them cheaters, true or not, is absolutely grounds for termination under any normal circumstance. Like, seriously, do you have a job?

I don't know how or if that applies to NHL contracts and whatever clauses they have that may pertain to that sort of thing, but I would imagine that Leafs would opt NOT to do that regardless, and would vastly prefer to keep the situation quiet, which would not happen if they terminated Lupul, freeing him up to say whatever he wants and the media ********* that would inevitably ensue.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It IS the first he's spoken out, except for apparent rumblings from people close to him, and he deleted it within an hour.

Talking **** about your employer on social media, by calling them cheaters, true or not, is absolutely grounds for termination under any normal circumstance. Like, seriously, do you have a job?

I don't know how or if that applies to NHL contracts and whatever clauses they have that may pertain to that sort of thing, but I would imagine that Leafs would opt NOT to do that regardless, and would vastly prefer to keep the situation quiet, which would not happen if they terminated Lupul, freeing him up to say whatever he wants and the media ********* that would inevitably ensue.

I am quite aware of that in the normal work context. But either way, if it was grounds I'm sure it would happen. But it hasn't happened. I just can't wait till next year when Lupul's contract expires and he has no obiligation to the leafs can really speak on what happened.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
First off - He didn't go out of line, there is freedom of speech he can say anything he wants to online. There's not a damn thing that the leafs can do about him speaking out against them. He has the right to if he pleases.

I do agree I may have over exaggerated that they ****ed him. But let's not try and act like the leafs don't have a part to play in his situation. I'm pretty sure everyone would take the 5 million if they basically told you that you are AHL bound for the rest of your contract.

Again much like the Cowan situation, I do believe that there is a lot of truth to Lupul's accusations. However the fact that he accepted the money and gave up isn't a good look for him.

I've been a huge leafs fan my entire life. But I haven't been a fan of their business practices as of late.

First of all, you have literally no clue how freedom of speech works. Don't pretend that you do. But it's so interesting you believe in that value, even if you can't apply it properly to save your life, yet somehow innocent until proven guilty means nothing to you.

I guess that's as close as you get to admitting you were wrong. First of all, nothing was proven, and all the evidence points to the Leafs have approached the Lupul situation legitimately and in good faith.

It's been explained a million times why Cowen was in the wrong in his situation. Take the world of the neutral third party arbitrator and move on already. It's embarrassing.

Stop being a Leafs fan already if you're going to throw a fit over guys who don't even play anymore because you wrongly believe they were screwed over, even when all the facts show otherwise

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I am quite aware of that in the normal work context. But either way, if it was grounds I'm sure it would happen. But it hasn't happened. I just can't wait till next year when Lupul's contract expires and he has no obiligation to the leafs can really speak on what happened.

"What happened" is likely that the Leafs made it clear to him that they have no spot for him on the team, prefer to give ice time to their prospects in AHL, and no other team will take him.

member 262271

What a bunch of cheaty cheatertons. :laugh: Seriously though, come on Joffrey!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

I had a choice to play with the Marlies and probably hurt myself several times in a season so I am incapable of staying healthy, or to stay home because I can't handle a full season of hockey and get paid 5.25m dollars.

then I got drunk/high/got stupid, and shot my mouth off because once again when people chirp me I can't be a reasonable adult and ignore them/delete them, no, i had to chirp them back and be awesome, and I caused this big deal.

like I don't think people are asking the right questions here.

but also reading some of your comments ... I nearly lost my job because someone who got fired where i worked was shooting off their mouth about where we worked, and ALL i wrote was

"I can see why you you'd feel that way." not agreeing with them, not echoing the bad sentiments, not defending the company but just, i could understand why he feels like poop. I got hauled into the office, was asked to explain myself and given a good 1/2 hour lecture about social media etiquette and what i do, reflects on the company.

I can understand him being frustrated, if i felt he was capable of actually playing hockey (he doesn't even look like he's FIT) then what exactly is he accomplishing by shooting off his mouth.I just feel there is a hell of a lot of entitlement when you work for a corporation (as the NHL) where other than having a contract that guarantees you money - that's it. and I do feel a lot of people (you included) feel that they should have their hands held and given all of this leeway because "it's decent" whatever that means in this context - vs. having to run a multimillion (Billion iin the Leafs case) business, where you don't have the luxury to coddle people if they have a bad stretch IF they aren't worth the investment.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
First of all, you have literally no clue how freedom of speech works. Don't pretend that you do. But it's so interesting you believe in that value, even if you can't apply it properly to save your life, yet somehow innocent until proven guilty means nothing to you.

I guess that's as close as you get to admitting you were wrong. First of all, nothing was proven, and all the evidence points to the Leafs have approached the Lupul situation legitimately and in good faith.

It's been explained a million times why Cowen was in the wrong in his situation. Take the world of the neutral third party arbitrator and move on already. It's embarrassing.

Stop being a Leafs fan already if you're going to throw a fit over guys who don't even play anymore because you wrongly believe they were screwed over, even when all the facts show otherwise

I can be a leafs fan and not agree with their business practices. There's nothing wrong with that. Everyone is free to believe what they want. You are choosing to believe that the leafs have not been shady with some of their business decisions. I on the other hand believe that yes some of their business practices in recent years has been very shady (in some cases it has helped the team). I understand that sports is cut throat and there isn't a lot of room for morality. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be a fan of a team because I like their on ice product but not the way management operates.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I had a choice to play with the Marlies and probably hurt myself several times in a season so I am incapable of staying healthy, or to stay home because I can't handle a full season of hockey and get paid 5.25m dollars.

then I got drunk/high/got stupid, and shot my mouth off because once again when people chirp me I can't be a reasonable adult and ignore them/delete them, no, i had to chirp them back and be awesome, and I caused this big deal.

like I don't think people are asking the right questions here.

but also reading some of your comments ... I nearly lost my job because someone who got fired where i worked was shooting off their mouth about where we worked, and ALL i wrote was

"I can see why you you'd feel that way." not agreeing with them, not echoing the bad sentiments, not defending the company but just, i could understand why he feels like poop. I got hauled into the office, was asked to explain myself and given a good 1/2 hour lecture about social media etiquette and what i do, reflects on the company.

I can understand him being frustrated, if i felt he was capable of actually playing hockey (he doesn't even look like he's FIT) then what exactly is he accomplishing by shooting off his mouth.I just feel there is a hell of a lot of entitlement when you work for a corporation (as the NHL) where other than having a contract that guarantees you money - that's it. and I do feel a lot of people (you included) feel that they should have their hands held and given all of this leeway because "it's decent" whatever that means in this context - vs. having to run a multimillion (Billion iin the Leafs case) business, where you don't have the luxury to coddle people if they have a bad stretch IF they aren't worth the investment.

I don't think they should be coddled, but I think that there should be a level of understanding when it comes to player frustration. The NHL is the only league that makes a big deal about a player speaking out. Every other league that kind of stuff is embraced and it's what makes player movement interesting.

The other thing I believe is that at some point ethics and morality should play a role in business'. I can accept that not everyone shares that point of view. What I can't stand about this fan base is that if you take another side besides managements side you are considered a bad Leafs fan or a piece of ****. When that's simply not true. I don't have to agree or believ in every single decision that has been made

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would Lupul give up his 5M paycheck for this year in order to play hockey for another team in the Nhl for ~700000? No. If players don't want to give up guaranteed contracts, they should ****. You signed a fat contract then a couple years later you suck and can't stay healthy then you're going *****? F off.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Are people really saying that Lupul made a mistake because he might lose his contract over this?

I'm not even going to argue that's not true, even though it probably isn't.

The fact is, is it not reasonable to assume that Lupul wants to get out of his contract? The guy has probably already made ~10M just over the last 2 seasons sitting at home. I don't think he's worried about losing another 5M, especially if he can get 2-3M elsewhere and actually play.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Are people really saying that Lupul made a mistake because he might lose his contract over this?

The fact is, is it not reasonable to assume that Lupul wants to get out of his contract? The guy has probably already made ~10M just over the last 2 seasons sitting at home. I don't think he's worried about losing another 5M, especially if he can get 2-3M elsewhere and actually play.

2-3M? He will be lucky to get the league min.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I don't think they should be coddled, but I think that there should be a level of understanding when it comes to player frustration. The NHL is the only league that makes a big deal about a player speaking out. Every other league that kind of stuff is embraced and it's what makes player movement interesting.

The other thing I believe is that at some point ethics and morality should play a role in business'. I can accept that not everyone shares that point of view. What I can't stand about this fan base is that if you take another side besides managements side you are considered a bad Leafs fan or a piece of ****. When that's simply not true. I don't have to agree or believ in every single decision that has been made

well honestly (Not being dismissive, just being truthful) I don't really give a hoot about the other sports. and I don't really think it's right to just shoot your mouth off. this doesn't mean you can't speak out, but I do think there is a time and place to do so. If Lupul - and i've said this several times - felt that frustrated, that violated, that cheated that he needed to cheat out. why not make an official statement. something like "I want the record to show that I am capable of playing hockey. I am working with the NHLPA to show that this is the case and that the Maple Leafs are preventing me from playing hockey and I feel i should be at training camp trying to earn a spot on this team."

THEN put your money where your mouth is and sit down in front of media etc, and answer questions. If you feel you are right, why go NinjaDust? If you feel cheated why not take your platform?

Posting a "lol they cheat and everyone lets them."
did people say you were a bad Leafs fan? (honestly? because i don't think you are).

i just feel with the experience i have playing sports, and just like life, I do think it's a touch naive. like. they don't want Lupul around. and to say they should be ethical or have some sort of morality thing - well why? they don't have to have him around. they don't have to play him. and this - truly (even listening to the radio was annoying because the Leafs didn't 'benefit' from Lupul being away financially so it's not like they actually gained anything). The only think the Leafs owe Lupul is paying him 5.25m a year. Which they did. and that's ALL they owe him. you don't have to like it or believe in it, but saying it's not ethical, or morally wrong - just seems silly to me.

The guy can't even go 25 games without being injured. He doesn't even look fit enough to do camp right now. he can't provide the service demanded of him for his job and his contract. I think Lupul is a dumbo when he's on Social Media but I do think for the sheer amount of injuries he has had (especially the flukey ones ie: Dion Puck, infection from back surgery) is tough. but I'm not gonna be a "You go, dude!" for someone acting like a brat.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

who on earth is paying him 3m?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
well honestly (Not being dismissive, just being truthful) I don't really give a hoot about the other sports. and I don't really think it's right to just shoot your mouth off. this doesn't mean you can't speak out, but I do think there is a time and place to do so. If Lupul - and i've said this several times - felt that frustrated, that violated, that cheated that he needed to cheat out. why not make an official statement. something like "I want the record to show that I am capable of playing hockey. I am working with the NHLPA to show that this is the case and that the Maple Leafs are preventing me from playing hockey and I feel i should be at training camp trying to earn a spot on this team."

THEN put your money where your mouth is and sit down in front of media etc, and answer questions. If you feel you are right, why go NinjaDust? If you feel cheated why not take your platform?

Posting a "lol they cheat and everyone lets them."
did people say you were a bad Leafs fan? (honestly? because i don't think you are).

i just feel with the experience i have playing sports, and just like life, I do think it's a touch naive. like. they don't want Lupul around. and to say they should be ethical or have some sort of morality thing - well why? they don't have to have him around. they don't have to play him. and this - truly (even listening to the radio was annoying because the Leafs didn't 'benefit' from Lupul being away financially so it's not like they actually gained anything). The only think the Leafs owe Lupul is paying him 5.25m a year. Which they did. and that's ALL they owe him. you don't have to like it or believe in it, but saying it's not ethical, or morally wrong - just seems silly to me.

The guy can't even go 25 games without being injured. He doesn't even look fit enough to do camp right now. he can't provide the service demanded of him for his job and his contract. I think Lupul is a dumbo when he's on Social Media but I do think for the sheer amount of injuries he has had (especially the flukey ones ie: Dion Puck, infection from back surgery) is tough. but I'm not gonna be a "You go, dude!" for someone acting like a brat.

Very well said. I do think Bob McKenzie put it best in his tweet. Lupul is in a position where the risk is heavily outweighing the reward. If he goes through with grivance, he gets buried in the minors which he clearly isn't interested in. His career is done partly because he's not as good as he once was and the position he currently finds himself in and I can understand his frustration.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
but how are the Leafs benefiting? we didn't put him on LTIR, or anything (did we?).
and again. for me, if he feels he didn't fail why not just come to Toronto get a second opinion, and then be like i feel i deserve a chance.

but that's just me though like for me i generally don't spout off about my job (even when they suck) on SM.
The Leafs put him on LTIR, so that's how they benefitted.

I don't think your jobs lies about your abilities to the media.

He could have got a second opinion, challenged it in court and went through a big process all while not playing. If he wins, the Leafs buy him out and he loses money.

Not much incentive to go down this route.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Methinks Lupes just cost himself his next Assistant Director of Player Development job with the Leafs...

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
do people really think Lupul is in shape to play? look at his boat pic. hes so out of hockey shape its incredible. add in a fragile back. hes a bum, such a goof. lost any respect i had for this guy

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Alright, lets say he gets 1M from somewhere. I don't think he's going to be declaring bankruptcy after that...

Here's an earlier quote from you:

"I'm not even going to argue that's not true, even though it probably isn't [a mistake, clarification mine]."

So Lupul is making a fruitless comment that, in this scenario, cost him 5 million dollars, and that's not a mistake because he won't be broke because of it?

Besides, I doubt any team is offering Lupul even league minimum. He might get a PTO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad