Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson to Montreal for 2020 5th

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Wow! Edmundson is a great guy, and a very strong #5. I don't think he is a top 4 defenseman, although he can up his game for the moment and look like one here and there. Eddy had a great year for us but we need to save money and we need space for Fleury/Bean. I'm surprised he got a 5th. My guess is other teams offered a 6th or 7th, and Montreal REALLY wanted him so they beat the best offer.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
What is your take on Edmundson play this year?

Good physical player, decent pk’er, not the best skater. Ideally he’s on your 3rd pair and playing prime Pk minutes. He had stretches where he looked decent in the top 4. He was unexpectedly pretty involved offensively, not sure if it was then CAR system where D are very aggressive offensively or if he always played like this, but he certainly wasn’t hesitant to jump into the play in the other team’s zone. I think he had a career high in goals this year...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Honestly I figured one of the Western teams like LA would get him. But a free dart is a free dart.

What is your take on Edmundson play this year?
He is what he is. If you want a defense-first 3rd pairing guy he's a good option. If you look to slot him any higher in the lineup you're in trouble. But as a #5 he brings a bit of toughness and solid defense while being good enough of a skater (read: average) that he is a bit harder to pin in the zone than your typical 3rd pairing defense-first plug.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He’s fine. Good on the PK. An average stat at home 5/6 guy.

Wow! Edmundson is a great guy, and a very strong #5. I don't think he is a top 4 defenseman, although he can up his game for the moment and look like one here and there. Eddy had a great year for us but we need to save money and we need space for Fleury/Bean. I'm surprised he got a 5th. My guess is other teams offered a 6th or 7th, and Montreal REALLY wanted him so they beat the best offer.

Good physical player, decent pk’er, not the best skater. Ideally he’s on your 3rd pair and playing prime Pk minutes. He had stretches where he looked decent in the top 4. He was unexpectedly pretty involved offensively, not sure if it was then CAR system where D are very aggressive offensively or if he always played like this, but he certainly wasn’t hesitant to jump into the play in the other team’s zone. I think he had a career high in goals this year...

Like Joe said, he's a fine enough bottom pairing guy.Doesn't mind getting scrappy after the whistle, either. He clowned Elias Lindholm during the Svech lacrosse game which you just love to see.

I see some similarity with Ben Chiarot. Do you think he's better or worse?

That was or D line for most of the PO
Chiarot - Weber
Kulak -Petry
Ouellet - Mete (which was a big mistake since Mete struggle greatly on his off-side)

My hope is that he is better than Chiarot and can push everyone down a spot. We also have Romanov coming in, but I see him at 3RD instead of LD since we have so many of them.

Reactions: HisIceness

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I see some similarity with Ben Chiarot. Do you think he's better or worse?

That was or D line for most of the PO
Chiarot - Weber
Kulak -Petry
Ouellet - Mete (which was a big mistake since Mete struggle greatly on his off-side)

My hope is that he is better than Chiarot and can push everyone down a spot. We also have Romanov coming in, but I see him at 3RD instead of LD since we have so many of them.

Not sure if this is the gist of your question, but Edmundson did play some on the right for the Canes after all the injuries. Particularly he and Skjei formed a very good 2nd pair analytically during the Rangers series. However, I wouldn’t trust him there full time nor do I think he belongs in the top 4 of a playoff team full time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad