Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmundson to Montreal for 2020 5th

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not sure if this is the gist of your question, but Edmundson did play some on the right for the Canes after all the injuries. Particularly he and Skjei formed a very good 2nd pair analytically during the Rangers series. However, I wouldn’t trust him there full time nor do I think he belongs in the top 4 of a playoff team full time

The RD was for Romanov. Ideally, Edmundson would be better than Chiarot so our top pair with Weber is upgraded, or at least our 2nd pair with Petry.

Edmundson/Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson/Chiarot - Petry
Kulak/Mete - Romanov
Kulak/Mete - Juulsen

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The RD was for Romanov. Ideally, Edmundson would be better than Chiarot so our top pair with Weber is upgraded, or at least our 2nd pair with Petry.

Edmundson/Chiarot - Weber
Edmundson/Chiarot - Petry
Kulak/Mete - Romanov
Kulak/Mete - Juulsen
I mean, he may be better than Chiarot, but I didn't think too much of Chiarot when he was with Winnipeg either. It's possible that Weber could carry him in the same way that Pitkanen was able to carry Jay Harrison making him look competent at one point. But again, I see Eddy as more of a #5 while Chiarot I view as a flat out #6.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I mean, he may be better than Chiarot, but I didn't think too much of Chiarot when he was with Winnipeg either. It's possible that Weber could carry him in the same way that Pitkanen was able to carry Jay Harrison making him look competent at one point. But again, I see Eddy as more of a #5 while Chiarot I view as a flat out #6.

That's good enough for me. Weber and Petry can carry their partners, so any upgrade is a plus.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not sure why the Habs did this. I don't think Edmundson is really that good and if he signs more than 2-3 seasons I doubt he finishes out his contract. His physical game is also extremely overrated.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Decent player, will stand up for teammates (see Lindholm :laugh:), kind of up and down as the season wore on but he can be "Steady Eddy" when things are going right. I thought he played well in the Rangers series for instance.
Yep, the Rangers series he and Skjei absolutely ate them alive. They weren't ready for the physical side of things in that matchup and that pairing took advantage in a big way. Again, he's prettymuch exactly what you want for defensive a #5 dman, I don't rate him higher than that but I also can't rate him any lower.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It's asset management like this that makes me confident that our club will beat Boston someday.

C’mon. A lot of teams make moves like this. A 5th round pick is why we’re going to beat Boston? Also, weren’t you predicting a few months back the Canes Would re-sign Edmundson to a multi year deal?

I think it’s a good move, but no need to make it out to more than it is.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
C’mon. A lot of teams make moves like this. A 5th round pick is why we’re going to beat Boston? Also, weren’t you predicting a few months back the Canes Would re-sign Edmundson to a multi year deal?

I think it’s a good move, but no need to make it out to more than it is.

That was a long-ass time ago that I said that, and that was before Skjei was acquired. Also, it's the mentality, not the move itself. Maximizing assets where you can is always smart.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
That was a long-ass time ago that I said that, and that was before Skjei was acquired. Also, it's the mentality, not the move itself. Maximizing assets where you can is always smart.

yes, maximizing assets assets is smart, but getting a late pick for rights isn’t something unique to Carolina, much less indicative of taking the next step.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The fawning over the FO is a little cringey. Justifying the logic behind a move in the aftermath is natural, but some have gone overboard in trying to spin decisions as savant-like. You're setting yourselves up for disappointment. They will make mistakes, just like other organizations; Jake Gardiner is already a pretty big whiff, at least at this point. Other fanbases have fallen in love with their team's executives and then fallen out of it. Jim Rutherford was making all the right moves 3 years ago and now people think he's lost it. The Borg will be the Derp at some point.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Why does everyone think he'd leave? Sad to see one of the one or two tougher players go.

Where was he going to play next year? There are already 6 returning D and a minimum of 5 slot ahead of Edmundson. And there's Bean needing a spot next season in Raleigh.

There's no spot for Edmundson and no need to pay him a UFA contract. He wasn't coming back.

I'll be very surprised if TVR or Vatanen return either.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Why does everyone think he'd leave? Sad to see one of the one or two tougher players go.
Because a) the Canes will tight on cap space, b) it will be hard to move bad contracts (Gardiner, Dzingel) when other teams are cutting costs c) the Canes have Slavin, Skjei, Fleury and Bean at LHD even if they can move Gardiner and D) he’ll likely get paid more than Carolina can afford for the role he’d play.

I won’t be surprised to see Vatanen and TVR go to UFA and leave as well. Maybe if these 3 guys strike out in UFA, the Canes can get one of them at a cheap price, but I suspect there are other teams that need defensemen and will offer more.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Because a) the Canes will tight on cap space, b) it will be hard to move bad contracts (Gardiner, Dzingel) when other teams are cutting costs c) the Canes have Slavin, Skjei, Fleury and Bean at LHD even if they can move Gardiner and D) he’ll likely get paid more than Carolina can afford for the role he’d play.

I won’t be surprised to see Vatanen and TVR go to UFA and leave as well. Maybe if these 3 guys strike out in UFA, the Canes can get one of them at a cheap price, but I suspect there are other teams that need defensemen and will offer more.

Well, one of those bad contracts will vanish right when Svech gets paid. That's why it's good that Dzingel's deal is only 2 years. Also, Fleury plays his off-hand quite well, so I'm sure that the FO will just stand pat with the top-6. Finally, I like our FO a lot. They're not gods, however, for the most part, they make sound decisions with a couple of exceptions, which usually happens because they sometimes sign players before they know what Brindy likes and doesn't like. Over time, I'm sure that they will adapt. I was just saying that getting something for nothing (UFA rights) is pretty sweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad