Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
His coach did say some good things about him. I'm sure there's an interview on each prospect they have though. But yes fair, he did say some very good things.

He's fourth on his team in PPG.

And you're right Lowry didn't prove it either, but they said he was great in camp. But to be honest I'm not as big of a Lowry fan as others here are.

I'll admit too I'm somewhat biased as I liked him pre-draft and I really liked him in his WJC appearances as well.

bazaaa*

And mine is just my opinion too from the stats and highlights, doesn't mean I'm right either. I'd be more than happy for him to come up and play great and he proves me wrong by being ready.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
His coach did say some good things about him. I'm sure there's an interview on each prospect they have though. But yes fair, he did say some very good things.

He's fourth on his team in PPG.

And you're right Lowry didn't prove it either, but they said he was great in camp. But to be honest I'm not as big of a Lowry fan as others here are.

I understand you being a bit skeptical about a coach's praises because I always come away feeling great about our prospects after a McCambridge interview and they are just too rosy but putting the comments about Amria through a BS filter I thought this one stuck out:

Cory Pronman tweeted comments from Armia's AHL coach from earlier this season:

Rochester's Cassidy on Armia this season, "Joel's been dominant, night in night out our best player. Makes players around him better."

To me once a coach singles out a guy on the record as "our best player" I think it gives it allot different weighting. I think it is reason to believe he is probably pretty close (if not ready) to play in the NHL now. From what I have seen most fans aren't getting too far ahead of themselves on Armia yet.....there is optimism but it seems muted with a dash of hope and prayer sprinkled in

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I understand you being a bit skeptical about a coach's praises because I always come away feeling great about our prospects after a McCambridge interview and they are just too rosy but putting the comments about Amria through a BS filter I thought this one stuck out:

Rochester's Cassidy on Armia this season, "Joel's been dominant, night in night out our best player. Makes players around him better."

To me once a coach singles out a guy on the record as "our best player" I think it gives it allot different weighting. I think it is reason to believe he is probably pretty close (if not ready) to play in the NHL now. From what I have seen most fans aren't getting too far ahead of themselves on Armia yet.....there is optimism but it seems muted with a dash of hope and prayer sprinkled in

I was a bit surprised that Chevy seemed open to the possibility that Armia might get a look with the Jets this season. But perhaps he's closer than I thought...

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
The thing i love most about Armia, is that he is really, really entertaining player to watch.
He hasn't yet dominated pointwise in the ahl, but he can be really dominant with puckposession, stickhandling, pickpocketin etc.

He often makes defenders look silly. Like this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexa6Po4DI4

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
The thing i love most about Armia, is that he is really, really entertaining player to watch.
He hasn't yet dominated pointwise in the ahl, but he can be really dominant with puckposession, stickhandling, pickpocketin etc.

Enbedded

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yexa6Po4DI4
I noticed immediately in his highlight packages that a large number of clips start with him stripping / stealing the puck. I like that.

gbill2004*

Sep 23, 2011
I keep reading that Arima is dominating the AHL this year but his point totals arent that impressive; well below a point per game. What's up with that?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
How does a guy that can't crack the lineup of the worst Team in the NHL just come in and waltz into the Jets lineup, I mean Buffalo didn't exactly have great forwards to begin with and this guy not even making that squad is a little problematic you don't think?:naughty:

A bunch of the guys over on the Sabres board were saying that he has been injured when they tried to call him up (this happened more than once I think) and they're pretty full up at RW.

Looks like a good prospect to me, hoping he turns out.

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere
injuries?

Injuries has affected for sure.
Also 2 of his assist has been robbed by the officials:laugh: for real tough. so its actually 33/27
But anyhow, he controls the game when he is on ice. He dominates the puck. You will see soon enough.

Edit. Imo without the two injuries he's had this year (first concussion and then blocked shot to the leg missed about 20 games combined)
He would have cracked in the sabres lineup. The one game he got there almost immediatly after the second injury, he was in sabres firstline and played most of that game against detroit firstline. He did okay, created some offense and was solid defensively, but was clearly nerveous part of the game.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

IMO Armia was a key piece for Chevy. High draft pedigree and 3 1/2 years of development and on the edge of being ready. That is a lot of developmental resources Buffalo poured in for the Jets to take over just when he is ready to make the jump.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
Would love to see him play on the 4th line replacing Peluso for a few games to get a read on him.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This video is 19m so grab some popcorn. At 2:33, Armia gets pulled down on a breakaway and scores an amazing penalty shot goal. Honestly one of the best I've seen.

He seems to have really quick hands and great spatial awareness. I wasn't too excited about Armia just by looking at his AHL stats (though his SM Liiga stats are great), but I am now. If he can play 2/3LW next year or even late this season, it would be huge for us, I think. Especially if Ehlers makes the club next season, we'll have a lot of options re: where Lowry and Perreault can slot in.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This video is 19m so grab some popcorn. At 2:33, Armia gets pulled down on a breakaway and scores an amazing penalty shot goal. Honestly one of the best I've seen.

He seems to have really quick hands and great spatial awareness. I wasn't too excited about Armia just by looking at his AHL stats (though his SM Liiga stats are great), but I am now. If he can play 2/3LW next year or even late this season, it would be huge for us, I think. Especially if Ehlers makes the club next season, we'll have a lot of options re: where Lowry and Perreault can slot in.

impressions....

Good hockey sense. Good puck hawk (lots of steals in those clips). Good awareness. Very good hands. Nice stride. Terrific release. Would probably instantly be the Jets best shoot-out option.

I wouldn't mind seeing him with Ladd-Little or Perreault-Scheifele. He has some skills.

Another reason that the Sabres might have been keeping Armia on the farm is that they have been trying to showcase RWs Stewart and Stafford for a trade.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Would love to see him play on the 4th line replacing Peluso for a few games to get a read on him.

I don't know how much of a read you will get on the 4th. He is a goal scorer. I'd like to see him with Perreault and Scheifele. Frolik-Lowry-Stafford then gives a very solid 3rd.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ
I don't know how much of a read you will get on the 4th. He is a goal scorer. I'd like to see him with Perreault and Scheifele. Frolik-Lowry-Stafford then gives a very solid 3rd.

The Jets aren't the Sabres, he isn't getting top 6 minutes while battling for a playoff spot. There is more than enough the team could see from him playing 4th line minutes and trying to earn more time with better teammates.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets aren't the Sabres, he isn't getting top 6 minutes while battling for a playoff spot. There is more than enough the team could see from him playing 4th line minutes and trying to earn more time with better teammates.

I'd disagree. If you aren't looking for a goal scorer to score then might as well leave him on the Rock, and take a look in training camp. There are many experienced vets out there that would be relatively cheap that would be much more effective playing on our 4th line. Winnik for example. If they bring up Armia IMO he will be slotted into a role he is better suited to. Now isn't the time for a look see in an unfamiliar role. Likely he would be slotted on the 3rd, and Thorburn moved down. Though I'd like to see him be given a chance in a more offensive role with Perreault and Scheifele.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

He never got top6 minutes in the Sabres afaik.

Other than Winnipeg scouts, I doubt there are too many who are actually aware of this guy. He was largely overshadowed by Grigorenko in Buffalo and due to injuries last season wasn't able to make impact. 2014-15 Armia was the best player in Rochester and possess a tremendous set of skills. Had he stayed for a season longer he would've been a surefire roster player in Buffalo. Personally I don't care where he plays, but Jets picked him for a reason. Wether Joel makes the big league now or later that's to be debated & to be seen. He's not really the bottom 6 type so I'd prefer to keep him down if there wasn't enough TOI available. Armia was ranked ahead of Lemiux in the Sabres prospect pool and they basicly gave up two of they best wingers. Really excited to see the kid play in NHL, if not tomorrow then in the near future.

You've got yourselves a player here nevertheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad