Prospect Info: Joel Armia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
What is this? A limbo party? Set the bar as low as it can go...

I would be a feat to find someone less qualified than Thorburnt.

Haha, I agree, I just meant that Armia has to be better than what we currently have in Thorburn on the third line. Please push him down....

PegCityPuck

Mar 8, 2012
As someone who followed him in Finland and tried to keep a look out while he's been in the AHL, I see him as a 30-30, maybe a 35-35 guy if everything goes perfectly in his prime. I think his problem will be his defensive game and effort level, although both of the have gotten better. He is a big guy, but I'm not sure if he is as willing to work along the boards and do the dirty work as you may want. As far as where I would put him in the line-up; I'd say he would probably be more suited as a 2nd liner, though he will probably be at least 'OK' as a 1st liner.

If PoMo can get big Buff motivated he can motivate anyone! I wouldn't be concerned about effort level under PoMo's watch.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
How does a guy that can't crack the lineup of the worst Team in the NHL just come in and waltz into the Jets lineup, I mean Buffalo didn't exactly have great forwards to begin with and this guy not even making that squad is a little problematic you don't think?:naughty:

Kind of surprised some of you haven't already suggested:

Ladd, Little, Armia.....

Buffalo looks to be trying to develop their prospects outside of the ****show that the NHL club is putting on right now, which is likely a better idea than the Oiler's method of throwing them right into the fire to flounder.

They sent Reinhart back, and they've taken it slow with Zadorov, Ristolainen, and others including Armia.

I don't think their reluctance to not play him says he's not ready I just think they're taking a thought out development approach.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Sabres fan, here. As sad as I was to see Myers go, I think i'll miss Armia most. He was fun to watch on the Rochester Americans. He has soft mitts and some serious skill. Others have said it, injuries have hampered his development a bit. Also, it took him a season to adapt to North American (smaller rinks) hockey. That said, you have a great prospect in Armia. I'll be watching his career with your team and hope he has a lot of success on the jets.

ShooTer44

Oct 6, 2012
How does a guy that can't crack the lineup of the worst Team in the NHL just come in and waltz into the Jets lineup, I mean Buffalo didn't exactly have great forwards to begin with and this guy not even making that squad is a little problematic you don't think?:naughty:

Kind of surprised some of you haven't already suggested:

Ladd, Little, Armia.....

Hey how about Ladd,Little and Armia...happy ?? :dunno:

Mr. Negative don't check facts?? If you checked the right wingers that the Sabers had,you "MIGHT" understand why!!! But then we can't be negative all the time can we ? :sarcasm:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo looks to be trying to develop their prospects outside of the ****show that the NHL club is putting on right now, which is likely a better idea than the Oiler's method of throwing them right into the fire to flounder.

They sent Reinhart back, and they've taken it slow with Zadorov, Ristolainen, and others including Armia.

I don't think their reluctance to not play him says he's not ready I just think they're taking a thought out development approach.

Hope your right Sweech, didn't like how the last two Finns worked out around here!;)

Maybe third Finns the charm!

bazaaa*

I can't see this dude making the team. not now at least. Still has to put up better numbers in the AHL imo

I agree. Said it in the other post his highlights look 'okay' nothing special. In my opinion everyone is just all excited we have a new player, over rate him and want him in the lineup. Sure he's better than whatever we have down there, but he hasnt' really done anyting overly impressive imo. I'd rather just give up a 2nd for someone like Winnik.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree. Said it in the other post his highlights look 'okay' nothing special. In my opinion everyone is just all excited we have a new player, over rate him and want him in the lineup. Sure he's better than whatever we have down there, but he hasnt' really done anyting overly impressive imo. I'd rather just give up a 2nd for someone like Winnik.

I fail to see much of that going on in this thread. :dunno:

bazaaa*

I fail to see much of that going on in this thread. :dunno:

There are some in this thread that talk about him in the lineup... and some maybe not now but in the future, even though he hasn't proven anything. But I also didn't say this specific thread either. Thanks for looking out though!

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
There are some in this thread that talk about him in the lineup... and some maybe not now but in the future, even though he hasn't proven anything. But I also didn't say this specific thread either. Thanks for looking out though!

Which is a perfectly legitimate thing to do with prospects....

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
When they earn it, sure.

Armia has by all accounts been dominant in the AHL this year. More than what could have been said of Lowry last year.

Ehlers is dominating the QMJHL and comparatively the CHL.

Petan's been putting up points by the boatload for years in junior.

Morrissey has been dominant in the junior and the AHL playoffs.

Burmistrov was a good third liner when here and has been very good in the KHL.

I think those are perfectly sound, albeit optimistic, reasons to pencil anyone into a future lineup. There's a certain level of prognostication that goes along with these things, you can't just be handcuffed into only making lineups with NHL-only players, that's ridiculous.

bazaaa*

Armia has by all accounts been dominant in the AHL this year. More than what could have been said of Lowry last year.

You're the perfect example of what I said.
Armia was dominant in the AHL this year?

I took the top 80 point getters in the AHL and Armia was 43rd in ppg. That's dominant?
And 41st in goals per game.
We must have two different definitions of dominant.
He was fourth on his own team in terms of points per game.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You should also watch him play before hilarious statement based on highlights and stats. You're gonna eat your words buddy.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Pronman placed Armia 6th in the Sabres top 10 :

1) Sam Reinhart
2) Mikhail Grigorenko
3) Nikita Zadorov
4) Hudson Fasching
5) J.T. Compher
6) Joel Armia
7) Gustav Possler
8) Jake McCabe
9) Nick Baptiste
10) Eric Cornel

He also placed 60th in Pronman's top 100 prospects. This means I can fit where Pronman would have put Armia last summer on the Jets:
1) Nikolaj Ehlers
2) Josh Morrissey
3) Nic Petan
4) Joel Armia
5) Andrew Copp
6) Connor Hellebuyck
7) Scott Kosmachuk
8) Adam Lowry
9) Jack Glover
10) Eric Comrie
11) Brenden Kichton

Note: This is as of last summer, which I'm sure would be different today.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I took the top 80 point getters in the AHL and Armia was 43rd in ppg. That's dominant?

Yeah, I'll take your words over his own coach's words...

How did Lowry come out in your stat watching for ppg and goals per game?

bazaaa*

You should also watch him play before hilarious statement based on highlights and stats. You're gonna eat your words buddy.

Eat what words? I never said he won't turn into anything, I said I'd much rather have someone proven we can acquire for cheap going down the playoff stretch.

Yeah, I'll take your words over his own coach's words...

How did Lowry come out in your stat watching for ppg and goals per game?

Can you link me to the interview where his coach said he dominated the AHL this year? And guess because his coach said it, it must be true, we'll ignore the stats... it's not my words... it's you know... stats... like goals and stuff.

Did anyone say Lowry dominated AHL? Keep grasping at straws bro!

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014

he also just went from playing in finland

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Eat what words? I never said he won't turn into anything, I said I'd much rather have someone proven we can acquire for cheap going down the playoff stretch.

Can you link me to the interview where his coach said he dominated the AHL this year? And guess because his coach said it, it must be true, we'll ignore the stats... it's not my words... it's you know... stats... like goals and stuff.

Did anyone say Lowry dominated AHL? Keep grasping at straws bro!

You're saying they need to prove it, but what did Lowry prove? That he could play the game well for the role they wanted. Unfortunately that didn't come out in ppg or goals per game, but he still proved it.

Also here's your quotes:

“There’s no more impactful player in every game that he plays in,” Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy said by phone Friday. “He’s a completely different player than he was last year. We see how much he’s grown.”

“I felt from the moment he stepped on the ice, he dominated,” Cassidy said. “You can just see his confidence, how much stronger he was on the puck, how much more mentally tough he was. It’s been fun to see that.

“When Joel is on the ice, it seems like he has the puck all the time. He’s creating offense all the time. I think there was one game where he was a plus-9 in scoring chances, which is pretty much unheard of in my five years here. He makes everybody around him better, and he has a skill level that you don’t see a lot of guys in the American League with.”

Plus it's not like his stats are bad, he has the best ppg on his team.

bazaaa*

His coach did say some good things about him. I'm sure there's an interview on each prospect they have though. But yes fair, he did say some very good things.

He's fourth on his team in PPG.

And you're right Lowry didn't prove it either, but they said he was great in camp. But to be honest I'm not as big of a Lowry fan as others here are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad