Player Discussion Joel Armia turnaround year?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's not the first time he's gone on a late season hot streak after the games got meaningless, so I won't get excited too quickly. If he starts next season like that though, watch out. He always had all the tools you could want. so it's not impossible he finally puts everything together at the tender age of 30 I guess :dunno:

Last edited:

Xss

Jul 9, 2009
It's not the first time he's gone on a late season hot streak after the games got meaningless, so I won't get excited too quickly. If he starts next season like that though, watch out. He always had all the tools you could want. so it's not impossible he finally puts everything together at the tender age of 30 I guess :dunno:
Usually he gets an injury when he starts to play well. Maybe this time he is able to finish this season healthy and he'll start playing well right away next season.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He’s going to pull a pavelski and age like fine wine you watch lol

Even if he gets 17+ goals this season, he only has 6 assists in 59 games.

I don't think this can be considered a good season offensively with that few assists, even if he's having a good season defensively.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If he plays at his absolute best, he's a good bottom 6 player who can be effective defensively. Unfortunately he's so inconsistent and we should be looking at moving him whenever possible.

Reactions: EXPOS123

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
I wouldn’t focus on “late season”. He’s been playing well since getting recalled.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Armia could've pouted and gave a half assed effort when sent to Laval, however he went and played very well in the AHL and earned a spot back in the lineup and has made the most of it.

That being said, he's turning 31 next month and has been inconsistent his whole career. He's not part of this team's future so he should be moved by next deadline with no thoughts of extending him again.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Armia could've pouted and gave a half assed effort when sent to Laval, however he went and played very well in the AHL and earned a spot back in the lineup and has made the most of it.

That being said, he's turning 31 next month and has been inconsistent his whole career. He's not part of this team's future so he should be moved by next deadline with no thoughts of extending him again.
Very accurate take.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
His play has been getting better for a good while now. My pet theory is that he got long COVID in the last two years. He caught it three times in 12 months that we know of I think, that'll do it. He would just be gassed 10-15 seconds in of a shift and it felt like he was playing in a haze. The sport psychologist probably helped too. I always liked the dude so I'm maybe making excuses but I never liked the overly reductive "lazy bum" allegations

Armia not being traded at this TDL is a confirmation (IMO) that pro scouting in the NHL ain't all that great. He's the quintessential final piece a contender looks for. A 6'3 winger solid on the cycle good for a prorated 20 goals with great puck protection. He makes the 3rd of 4th line much more reliable and solid

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I think between working with a sports psychologist, gaining confidence offensively in Laval and most importantly- playing with Newhook, we will see good things next season. My hunch

Reactions: Naslundforever

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Well Newhook and Roy are prettty good players. He had a good stint with them.
Now yeah, but for most of the season he was playing with AHL players. Now that he’s playing with a player like Newhook, he’s in a position to put up more points but it looks like they’re looking for Armia in the slot area to shoot the puck. He does have a wicked wrister so makes sense to have him as the shooter.

Reactions: rik schau

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia will never get the recognition he deserves for one of the most important aspects of his game.
He is probably our best forward at keeping the play in the right end of the rink.
On our team this is huge because collectively we suck at it.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
He's looking good.

Realistically, the only thing that matters for the Habs is what they can get for him in a trade either this off-season or next trade deadline.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
His play has been getting better for a good while now. My pet theory is that he got long COVID in the last two years. He caught it three times in 12 months that we know of I think, that'll do it. He would just be gassed 10-15 seconds in of a shift and it felt like he was playing in a haze. The sport psychologist probably helped too. I always liked the dude so I'm maybe making excuses but I never liked the overly reductive "lazy bum" allegations

Armia not being traded at this TDL is a confirmation (IMO) that pro scouting in the NHL ain't all that great. He's the quintessential final piece a contender looks for. A 6'3 winger solid on the cycle good for a prorated 20 goals with great puck protection. He makes the 3rd of 4th line much more reliable and solid
Guaranteed some teams are kicking themselves. They could’ve had him for a song (salary is a bit high though, but if he’s playing like this, it’s worth it)

Reactions: TesseractPrice

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Think you have to deal him this offseason. Can’t have Anderson, Gally and Armia all blocking youngsters, and Armia might actually be movable now.

Reactions: LaP

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think between working with a sports psychologist, gaining confidence offensively in Laval and most importantly- playing with Newhook, we will see good things next season. My hunch

If we could pull this off, watch out Atlantic Division:
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky
Roy-Dach-Zegras or Keller
Newhook-Monahan-Armia
Gallagher-Evans-Anderson
spare: Dvorak

Matheson-UFA D
Struble-Guhle
Xhekaj-Savard
spares: Harris, Barron

Montembeault
Primeau

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

Armia plays high event hockey, lots of takeaways lots of giveaways, I'm not checking stats but judging from what I've seen of his play. He has generally played a lot better on good teams, like during the cup run, and in international play. My take is that his motivation, and his style of play, is a lot better on good teams.

He breaks up a lot of plays and generates a lot of loose pucks in the neutral and offensive zones. Good teams will grab those pucks and get scoring chances, while bad teams won't be able to.

I think Armia's a good player to have around at his current salary. He brings some abilities the habs generally lack. He's a bit old for the rebuild, but he's not one of the guys who just has to go before they can compete. Even Gallagher has looked better the last few games, he's not damaging the team with his play lately. It's mostly about dumping Gallagher, Dvorak, and Price now, though, just to be able to use their salaries to get one or two really useful players. The LTIR is fine, but it's an obstacle when the season starts.

TesseractPrice

Aug 1, 2019
Armia plays high event hockey, lots of takeaways lots of giveaways, I'm not checking stats but judging from what I've seen of his play. He has generally played a lot better on good teams, like during the cup run, and in international play. My take is that his motivation, and his style of play, is a lot better on good teams.

He breaks up a lot of plays and generates a lot of loose pucks in the neutral and offensive zones. Good teams will grab those pucks and get scoring chances, while bad teams won't be able to.

I think Armia's a good player to have around at his current salary. He brings some abilities the habs generally lack. He's a bit old for the rebuild, but he's not one of the guys who just has to go before they can compete. Even Gallagher has looked better the last few games, he's not damaging the team with his play lately. It's mostly about dumping Gallagher, Dvorak, and Price now, though, just to be able to use their salaries to get one or two really useful players. The LTIR is fine, but it's an obstacle when the season starts.
I agree with your assessment. I was honestly surprised that the Oilers, Avs and Stars in particular weren't interested in him

In all of these three teams, he could have been the final piece. As for salary, there's always a way with a 3rd broker or by exchanging cap

Reactions: dcyhabs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not saying this will be the Armia of the future, but he's really been consistent since his call up whereas in previous seasons he would play great one game then invisible the next 5. Even if you ignore his production, his play has been the most consistent I have seen out of him. I have questions on if this will continue next year, but I doubt he will float around as much as he used to which caused him to get sent down when he needs a new contract next year.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I'm not saying this will be the Armia of the future, but he's really been consistent since his call up whereas in previous seasons he would play great one game then invisible the next 5. Even if you ignore his production, his play has been the most consistent I have seen out of him. I have questions on if this will continue next year, but I doubt he will float around as much as he used to which caused him to get sent down when he needs a new contract next year.
If he continues to consult his sport psychologist, I don't think he's going to revert to his very inconsistent self next year.

Reactions: Tyson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad