Player Discussion Joel Armia turnaround year?

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I think he has really taken another stride this year. I know people say “oh he’s 25, he’s already fully developed”, but I fundamentally disagree with this statement. He has figured out how to better utilize his offensive skillset, and he has found a new level of consistency.

Frankc

Jan 9, 2005
Montreal
I still think he have another level he can reach.. He really have the stick handling, shot, size and defensive awareness (which creates great offensive opportunities) to put up 60-70 pts IMO.

Some players take more time to reach their potential and to have self confidence.
Good exemple of late bloomer, Rust in PIT this year, 1.20ppg at 27 years old.. best season before 38 pts.
In the past.. think of Todd Bertuzzi, Markus Naslund.. etc..

The only thing that could stop him IMO is that he used to be inconsistent. But honestly, this season he didn't have a lot of bad games.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Joel Armia has a great shot and the size and speed to go with it, I wonder if he simply played the way the coaches have asked him to. What if he was just focused on the defensive side of the game and now is being given the green light to focus on production? He could certainly be a consistent 20 goal man with everything he has going for him, I don’t ever read much in the way of dislike for him from fans.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Joel Armia has a great shot and the size and speed to go with it, I wonder if he simply played the way the coaches have asked him to. What if he was just focused on the defensive side of the game and now is being given the green light to focus on production? He could certainly be a consistent 20 goal man with everything he has going for him, I don’t ever read much in the way of dislike for him from fans.

I think it's hard sometimes for euro players to adapt to life in the NHL, so they kinda lose themselves, their identity as players and in consequence lose confidence. Armia probably went through it in Buffalo and then in Winnipeg he was in a stacked team that had a bunch of established players who were big and skilled, so he had to mold himself into a lesser role. But you could always see that he was too talented to be a 4th liner. That year when Winnipeg made the WCF, he was one of my favorite players on their team even if he had like 1 point the whole way. He was so good along the boards and his line cycled at will. No better defence than spending time in the opponent's end. He might be one of the league's best stickhandlers in tight space.

Montreal was a perfect fit because he's the only player of his style on the team. And he came in a situation where the hierarchy of ice time wasn't as defined like in Winnipeg. He was given a shot to earn the responsibilities he's been given by Julien and he seized it.

He's just a heck of a player.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I think it's hard sometimes for euro players to adapt to life in the NHL, so they kinda lose themselves, their identity as players and in consequence lose confidence. Armia probably went through it in Buffalo and then in Winnipeg he was in a stacked team that had a bunch of established players who were big and skilled, so he had to mold himself into a lesser role. But you could always see that he was too talented to be a 4th liner. That year when Winnipeg made the WCF, he was one of my favorite players on their team even if he had like 1 point the whole way. He was so good along the boards and his line cycled at will. No better defence than spending time in the opponent's end. He might be one of the league's best stickhandlers in tight space.

Montreal was a perfect fit because he's the only player of his style on the team. And he came in a situation where the hierarchy of ice time wasn't as defined like in Winnipeg. He was given a shot to earn the responsibilities he's been given by Julien and he seized it.

He's just a heck of a player.

perfect description for me.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I still think he have another level he can reach.. He really have the stick handling, shot, size and defensive awareness (which creates great offensive opportunities) to put up 60-70 pts IMO.

Some players take more time to reach their potential and to have self confidence.
Good exemple of late bloomer, Rust in PIT this year, 1.20ppg at 27 years old.. best season before 38 pts.
In the past.. think of Todd Bertuzzi, Markus Naslund.. etc..

The only thing that could stop him IMO is that he used to be inconsistent. But honestly, this season he didn't have a lot of bad games.

His passing ability is below average for a top 6 forward, so no chance he becomes a 60+ pt forward

I see him as a 20-25 goals 45 pt player if given good ice time and pp time

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
None-Habs-fan-hi-ya

His original projection was something like 30-35 goal, 75-80 point 1st line power forward. He destroyed the U18 & U20 + WHC-17
Scored 57 goals, 47 assists, 102 points in just 149 games in the Sm-Liiga, as a pro, before even turning 20.

Unfortunately he got drafted by the Bufalo Sabres, coached by Ted Nolan at that time, GM´d by Tim Murray,
- probably the worst HC,GM duo in the NHL of that time.

Got traded to Winnipeg, where was put to (eventually) 3rd-4th line defensive forward ("2-way") role
coached by Paul Maurice, not very easy coach to play for, especially if you are young and from Europe.
- not your friendly, people person type of coach.

For the past two seasons he started to look his old self again (unrefined for NHL, but still). But for some reason, Maurice did not see that.
Fortunately, people in Montreal did saw. Did saw his real potential, the potential what he had all along.

1 good thing did come out of from playing in Winnipeg; he became better overall player by learning the important two-way game
+ he was able to keep his goal, point scoring self while doing so, even if those abilities were buried deep inside.

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
Joel Armia Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com . If this is a second liner in the NHL , I was wrong about hockey in my entire life.

Well, I guess it is, after all, that you were wrong about hockey in your entire life.
What is 1st line production in the NHL?

All his seasons in the NHL post at worst elite 3rd line winger points (WIN 17-18) or pace (WIN 15-16) - I will not even bother qualifying this year as a pace for this achievement as per the point where he stands. And that doesn't even take into account his defensive reliability.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think he has really taken another stride this year. I know people say “oh he’s 25, he’s already fully developed”, but I fundamentally disagree with this statement. He has figured out how to better utilize his offensive skillset, and he has found a new level of consistency.
Bertuzzi didn’t really start hitting his stride till later so let’s hope he reaches that type of potential ....this is another stroke of genius on Bergevin’s part in regards to trades.....it cost us Simon Bourque who plays for Thetford Assurancia in a shit Quebec league out of Thetford Quebec.....:laugh:

They make what there, 80$ a week :laugh:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Well, I guess it is, after all, that you were wrong about hockey in your entire life.
What is 1st line production in the NHL?

All his seasons in the NHL post at worst elite 3rd line winger points (WIN 17-18) or pace (WIN 15-16) - I will not even bother qualifying this year as a pace for this achievement as per the point where he stands. And that doesn't even take into account his defensive reliability.
Defensive liability??

Hes a player coming into his own, it took Bertuzzi 5yrs of nhl before he established himself as a dominant power forward.....we could be witnessing the same type of learning curve, big players finding their way

Reactions: Habs Icing

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
His passing ability is below average for a top 6 forward, so no chance he becomes a 60+ pt forward

I see him as a 20-25 goals 45 pt player if given good ice time and pp time
And that's okay. I see the same thing unless he played with better players then his assist would go up by default.

He's a big body that's learned how to utilize it . Combine that with soft hands and an uncanny ability to steal the puck and viola we got ourselves a good top six winger. Glad we signed him for two years and not just one.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Defensive liability??

Hes a player coming into his own, it took Bertuzzi 5yrs of nhl before he established himself as a dominant power forward.....we could be witnessing the same type of learning curve, big players finding their way
wont even be in the ballpark of Bertuzzi. He was a unreal combination of size, speed, skill, aggressiveness. One of my fav players to watch and he got destroyed mentally after his incident. Was never the same player.
but I agree Armia looks so confident out there now

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Way before, he hasn't been evaluated well. He knows he's worthing more than that. Now, Armia is free on being the hockey player that he wants to be.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Defensive liability??

He said reliability not liability.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Joel Armia is a heck of a player man. Currently sits @ 33overall in ES scoring while playing some of the worst minutes of all and all that playing with no-talents like Kotkaniemi.

Legit first liner, he's a beast along the boards and is invaluable for this team. Honestly I hope he's resigned and Id give him north of 6 millions if he keeps it up.

More ES points than Labanc, Voracek, Arvidsson, one behind Marner, honestly he's already better than Marner, imagine if Armia played with Tavares ?

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
... Bertuzzi ?... LeClair ?... Lidstrom with what? 7 norris trophies after 30y/old (not sure about # and it's not the point)... Isn't there like a thousand players that figure it out in their mid20's, we should have learned our lesson already i think !?!?... Not saying he's gonna blow up and be a 40 goalscorer (who knows tho)... Just pointing out some players only blossom in their mid 20s, nothin wrong with that... As much as i had strength and power as a 20/25 y/old... Understanding life/patience, not to get too hard on yourself and creating a good/healthy lifestyle that suits you, no way i was mature enough at 25, let alone 19 to be a top pro athlete in any way

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
... Bertuzzi ?... LeClair ?... Lidstrom with what? 7 norris trophies after 30y/old (not sure about # and it's not the point)... Isn't there like a thousand players that figure it out in their mid20's, we should have learned our lesson already i think !?!?... Not saying he's gonna blow up and be a 40 goalscorer (who knows tho)... Just pointing out some players only blossom in their mid 20s, nothin wrong with that... As much as i had strength and power as a 20/25 y/old... Understanding life/patience, not to get too hard on yourself and creating a good/healthy lifestyle that suits you, no way i was mature enough at 25, let alone 19 to be a top pro athlete in any way

Lidstrom did 60 points +36 as a 21 years old and was already one of the best dman in the league. It just took time for the dinosaurs to accept an European dman could be one of the best.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Joel Armia is a heck of a player man. Currently sits @ 33overall in ES scoring while playing some of the worst minutes of all and all that playing with no-talents like Kotkaniemi.

Legit first liner, he's a beast along the boards and is invaluable for this team. Honestly I hope he's resigned and Id give him north of 6 millions if he keeps it up.

More ES points than Labanc, Voracek, Arvidsson, one behind Marner, honestly he's already better than Marner, imagine if Armia played with Tavares ?

wow I can't believe you're dislike of Armia is still holding up. Please, dude. You're so much better than this lol. I know your wild card takes are pretty much your Samson hair but sweet fancy Moses, Armia was a high end talent who was effective even before the boost in production. Now he's starting to put up points and taking steps to reaching his ceiling and you're gonna go in on him now? lol.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

I like Armia but he's definitely not fast, you mistake his edgework for speed. Same thing was said about Subban, their great edgework allow them to gain zone entry/beat guys 1v1. Kovalev excelled at the same aspect as well.

Reactions: Habs Icing

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The jets were stacked at forwards. Sometimes, when you dig into these kinds of teams, you can find someone that was perhaps underutilized or capable of a bigger role, like armia.

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I like Armia but he's definitely not fast, you mistake his edgework for speed. Same thing was said about Subban, their great edgework allow them to gain zone entry/beat guys 1v1. Kovalev excelled at the same aspect as well.
He has decent speed and has a good skating stance/stride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad