Confirmed with Link: Joe Vrbetic Signed to 1-Year AHL Deal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Vrbetic getting signed before Dobes/Dichow is not what I was expecting. I also didn't think he was eligible.

I take this to mean that the Habs want more control over his development/training. So next season goalie depth is now:
Price (injury/NHL)
Allen (poor guy)
Monty (NHL/Laval)
Primeau (Laval)
Vrbetic/Desrosiers (Laval/Lions)
I still think we need 1 more vet goalie since Price is often injured and Primeau should be all in Laval the whole year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice!! Really excited to see what he can do in the AHL.

ECHL, he needs to play a lot so you don't want him sitting for too long behind Primeau unless of course if Price is out and one of Allen/Monty get injured and Primeau goes up.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it to me.

But isn't a player from Junior eligible for the AHL if they are 20 years old or have completed 4 years of Junior?

Vrbetic is 19 and has only played 2 seasons of OHL. Unless you count the lost season. But even if you do, it's 3.

You just have to turn 20 before Jan 1st OR have 4 years of juniors.

Vrbetic getting signed before Dobes/Dichow is not what I was expecting. I also didn't think he was eligible.

I take this to mean that the Habs want more control over his development/training. So next season goalie depth is now:
Price (injury/NHL)
Allen (poor guy)
Monty (NHL/Laval)
Primeau (Laval)
Vrbetic/Desrosiers (Laval/Lions)

I would expect -

Habs - Allen/Monty
Laval - Primeau/(either Poulin or Owen Savory)
3R - Vrbetic/Desrosiers

Addik04

Sep 15, 2010
Have to wonder how many starts Vrbetic will actually get but this allows him to work directly with Adam Nicholas and the pro development staff. They must like his potential quite a bit.

I would be very surprised that Adam Nicholas is in charge of goalie.

They only think they need to get them a goalie coach from the Habs structure. I think he will end up in TR!

Reactions: montreal

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I know all that, but Vrbetic is the worst of the 3 and he was drafted after both. It's just weird to me.
"Worst of the 3"

Worst in what way? All three are good goalie prospects. I don't think Vrbetic has any less chance to become a NHL goalie than Dobes or Dichow.

People are really sleeping on the monster IMO.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
It has to be something like that. Because if they signed him, then he is clearly eligible. I'm just surprised because I didn't expect it.

Nevertheless, I'm happy they will have Vrbetic in the pros. Will surely start in 3R and maybe get a stint in Laval if they have call ups or injuries.
Did they let Poulin go? Who's backing Primeau up?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Did they let Poulin go? Who's backing Primeau up?

Poulin isn't signed at the moment. He hasn't signed anywhere. He has expressed his desire to sign with Laval. We'll see if they will sign him and the Desrosiers and Vrbetic duo will be in 3R.

As for 3R, they did acquire the rights to goalie Louis-Philip Guindon (who was on a PTO with Laval last year). They haven't signed him yet. But if they do, that would make him one of the goalies in 3R.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
"Worst of the 3"

Worst in what way? All three are good goalie prospects. I don't think Vrbetic has any less chance to become a NHL goalie than Dobes or Dichow.

I liked the gamble, you can find me in the Vrbetic and the draft thread saying it was a nice pick where they got him. He didn't look super great for portions of last year, especially the playoffs.

I would have done the overager in the OHL but if they wanna do the ECHL path and determine his worth going forward, by all means.

But Dobes and Dichow are clear tiers ahead of him, especially Dobes.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
"Worst of the 3"

Vrbetic might be sleeping himself given that he lost his starter job in the PO to a pretty average guy that was drafted in the 7th round this year.

He had by far the worst year of the 3. He has ground to make up.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it to me.

But isn't a player from Junior eligible for the AHL if they are 20 years old or have completed 4 years of Junior?

Vrbetic is 19 and has only played 2 seasons of OHL. Unless you count the lost season. But even if you do, it's 3.

Hockey is done by birth year. He's a 2022, so he's 20. Cale Fleury was same. Fall birthday, although he got an ELC out of it.

Only exception are drafts. NHL says you have to be a certain age by September 15th.

For WJC, you can't be 20 before January 1st of the year that it starts. Born December 31st & turning 20 can't go. Born next day January 1st, you're eligible.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He didn't look good most nights playing for North Bay last season. He lost his starter's role in playoffs. Generally not a good sign.
Most nights?

He was 8th the in the OHL for SV%. 9th in GAA. 10th in saves.

Now I'm not going to say he's anything special. But he was perfectly fine. As for the playoffs, his replacement did even worse. Shit like that happens in the minors though.

Carey Price had a .906SV% the year after he was drafted. The minors are a such a crapshoot for goalies since no defense is ever played.

On that note, I'm shocked he's not going back to the OHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hockey is done by birth year. He's a 2022, so he's 20. Cale Fleury was same. Fall birthday, although he got an ELC out of it.

Only exception are drafts. NHL says you have to be a certain age by September 15th.

For WJC, you can't be 20 before January 1st of the year that it starts. Born December 31st & turning 20 can't go. Born next day January 1st, you're eligible.

Cale Fleury, when he was signed to his ELC, he had already completed 4 years of Junior. So to me, he was eligible for the AHL because he met that criteria.

But today I learned something new.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Most nights?

Now I'm not going to say he's anything special. But he was perfectly fine. As for the playoffs, his replacement did even worse. Shit like that happens in the minors though.

Carey Price had a .906SV% the year after he was drafted. The minors are a such a crapshoot for goalies since no defense is ever played.

He's big, and the puck hits him. But his mobility is terrible. Really slow getting across & often doesn't get his pad down in time so lots of pucks go under him.

He's really awkward & pretty stiff in his movements.

North Bay played a really strong defensive system. There were times Vrbetic would get a shutout off 15 shots. The numbers aren't impressive for me.

You watch him in game action, and you realize he has issues. Question is if we can help him work that out.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Most nights?

My guess is that NB wants to give the reins to DiVicentiis so Vrbetic was better off in the ECHL rather than backup in the OHL.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's big, and the puck hits him. But his mobility is terrible. Really slow getting across & often doesn't get his pad down in time so lots of pucks go under him.

He's really awkward & pretty stiff in his movements.

Owen Sound played a really strong defensive system. There were times Vrbetic would get a shutout off 15 shots. The numbers aren't impressive for me.

You watch him in game action, and you realize he has issues. Question is if we can help him work that out.
But he played for North Bay... 😜

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Assuming the Habs can still decide to send him to North Bay for 2022-23 - is that right

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Have to wonder how many starts Vrbetic will actually get but this allows him to work directly with Adam Nicholas and the pro development staff. They must like his potential quite a bit.
Lots of 3 games in 3 nights in ECHL, Vrbetic should have about 1/3 of the starts in TR if no injuries or other players movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad