Confirmed with Link: Joe Vrbetic Signed to 1-Year AHL Deal

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Nice!! Really excited to see what he can do in the AHL.

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it to me.

But isn't a player from Junior eligible for the AHL if they are 20 years old or have completed 4 years of Junior?

Vrbetic is 19 and has only played 2 seasons of OHL. Unless you count the lost season. But even if you do, it's 3.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Depth in 3R, Vrbedtic like Simoneau doesn't need an NHL deal till next season.

I should have been more specific, I'm surprised he got an AHL deal because I didn't think he was eligible. He obviously is if they signed him.

But a player from Junior would be eligible for the AHL if he was 20 years old or completed 4 seasons of Major Junior. Vrbetic doesn't meet those two criterias.

He turns 20 in later October. So maybe it's because he turns 20 before a specific date.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Maybe someone with more knowledge can explain it to me.

But isn't a player from Junior eligible for the AHL if they are 20 years old or have completed 4 years of Junior?

Vrbetic is 19 and has only played 2 seasons of OHL. Unless you count the lost season. But even if you do, it's 3.
He will be 20 in october, I think if the player turn 20 before January he is eligible, I remember Beaulieu started at 19 but turned 20 in december. I am not sure but thats my theory!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He will be 20 in october, I think if the player turn 20 before January he is eligible, I remember Beaulieu started at 19 but turned 20 in december. I am not sure but thats my theory!

It has to be something like that. Because if they signed him, then he is clearly eligible. I'm just surprised because I didn't expect it.

Nevertheless, I'm happy they will have Vrbetic in the pros. Will surely start in 3R and maybe get a stint in Laval if they have call ups or injuries.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
It has to be something like that. Because if they signed him, then he is clearly eligible. I'm just surprised because I didn't expect it.

Nevertheless, I'm happy they will have Vrbetic in the pros. Will surely start in 3R and maybe get a stint in Laval if they have call ups or injuries.
Yeah me too, I liked what I saw at the dev camp, he was not the most « athletic » goaltender out there but he has some potential. ECHL could be good for him this year

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I should have been more specific, I'm surprised he got an AHL deal because I didn't think he was eligible. He obviously is if they signed him.

But a player from Junior would be eligible for the AHL if he was 20 years old or completed 4 seasons of Major Junior. Vrbetic doesn't meet those two criterias.

He turns 20 in later October. So maybe it's because he turns 20 before a specific date.

Vrbetic is considered a 20 years old player for juniors/AHL purposes (born in 2002).

Any CHL player born in 2002 is considered 20 yrs old for the upcoming season and is eligible for AHL play. Born in 2003 = 19 years old, born in 2004 = 18 years old, born in 2005 = 17 years old and the new crop born in 2006 = 16 years old

Junior teams are permitted 3 players born in 2002 on their roster

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Vrbetic getting signed before Dobes/Dichow is not what I was expecting. I also didn't think he was eligible.

I take this to mean that the Habs want more control over his development/training. So next season goalie depth is now:
Price (injury/NHL)
Allen (poor guy)
Monty (NHL/Laval)
Primeau (Laval)
Vrbetic/Desrosiers (Laval/Lions)

Reactions: GrandBison

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Vrbetic getting signed before Dobes/Dichow is not what I was expecting. I also didn't think he was eligible.

I take this to mean that the Habs want more control over his development/training. So next season goalie depth is now:
Price (injury/NHL)
Allen (poor guy)
Monty (NHL/Laval)
Primeau (Laval)
Vrbetic/Desrosiers (Laval/Lions)

Dichow just signed a 2-year deal with Frolunda. So he will be in the SHL, which is a step up from where he played in Allsvenskan.

Also, Dobes is going back to college, so they can't sign him or else he loses his NCAA eligibility.

Also, Vrbetic is signed to an AHL deal. So they didn't sign him to his ELC yet.

If he does well in the ECHL/AHL this year, Joe likely get's an entry level contract. ECHL is already a decent jump from OHL, so it will be interesting to see if he can handle it.

Similar to what happened with RHP.

Similar to what they will do with Simoneau.

Looks like they will do the same with Vrbetic.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Vrbetic is considered a 20 years old player for juniors/AHL purposes (born in 2002).

Any CHL player born in 2002 is considered 20 yrs old for the upcoming season and is eligible for AHL play. Born in 2003 = 19 years old, born in 2004 = 18 years old, born in 2005 = 17 years old and the new crop born in 2006 = 16 years old

Junior teams are permitted 3 players born in 2002 on their roster
With their other goalie drafted as well I guess the writing was on the wall for him in NB.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Have to wonder how many starts Vrbetic will actually get but this allows him to work directly with Adam Nicholas and the pro development staff. They must like his potential quite a bit.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Dichow just signed a 2-year deal with Frolunda. So he will be in the SHL, which is a step up from where he played in Allsvenskan.

Also, Dobes is going back to college, so they can't sign him or else he loses his NCAA eligibility.

Also, Vrbetic is signed to an AHL deal. So they didn't sign him to his ELC yet.
I know all that, but Vrbetic is the worst of the 3 and he was drafted after both. It's just weird to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad