Recalled/Assigned: Joe Veleno recalled by the Wings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What he's saying is that he previously played in the AHL so adapting to the NA ice shouldn't be that hard.
I still think it takes time to adjust. But not as long as it will take a Berggren or Raymond - guys with very little NA rink experience.
Berggren and Raymond play more of a perimeter game where they use the extra ice, Veleno heads for the slot (at least when he's being effective) so I don't see any sort of adjustment period considering it's where he's played his entire career except for 46 games.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
What he's saying is that he previously played in the AHL so adapting to the NA ice shouldn't be that hard.
I still think it takes time to adjust. But not as long as it will take a Berggren or Raymond - guys with very little NA rink experience.

That's a fair take, but he literally said, "...won't have to adjust for anything." I think it's reasonable to think that after 50 games in a different league on a different team with a different system on a different sized sheet of ice he would pick up some habits or alter his game to fit in. Therefore he'd likely need some time (not an extended period) to readjust, and I'd rather have him do it in GR than throw him into the NHL.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Berggren and Raymond play more of a perimeter game where they use the extra ice, Veleno heads for the slot (at least when he's being effective) so I don't see any sort of adjustment period considering it's where he's played his entire career except for 46 games.

The pace. The amount of time you have make decisions. The physicality.
When you play 40 games at a certain pace, it takes some time to adjust.
Who cares? It doesn't hurt.

Reactions: ThankGord

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's a fair take, but he literally said, "...won't have to adjust for anything." I think it's reasonable to think that after 50 games in a different league on a different team with a different system on a different sized sheet of ice he would pick up some habits or alter his game to fit in. Therefore he'd likely need some time (not an extended period) to readjust, and I'd rather have him do it in GR than throw him into the NHL.

Yeah. For sure.
But I think he gets up to speed a lot quicker than someone who's never played the NA game.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
What Red Wings prospect Joe Veleno gained from his season in Sweden

Bultman wrote about JV with quotes from Veleno, Horcoff.

Horcoff said he thinks Veleno projects as a player who someday can kill penalties and play in all situations for them. And if he can, it will be a real boost to Detroit’s ongoing rebuild.

overall, it’s hard to see JV as anything more than a 3C and given that there are consistent comments about him needing to improve on D I sometimes wonder if we have anything at all there. Not really an offensive player at the pro level & Still developing his D. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt considering how young he is but he is more experienced than anyone else his age so hopefully it starts clicking for him soon.

Hopefully he can recover from the concussion promptly and get into some NHL games down the stretch. I think it would be good for his development.

Reactions: njx9 and 14ari13

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

overall, it’s hard to see JV as anything more than a 3C and given that there are consistent comments about him needing to improve on D I sometimes wonder if we have anything at all there. Not really an offensive player at the pro level & Still developing his D. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt considering how young he is but he is more experienced than anyone else his age so hopefully it starts clicking for him soon.

Hopefully he can recover from the concussion promptly and get into some NHL games down the stretch. I think it would be good for his development.

The thing with Veleno is we don't that for sure yet. His learning curve has been slower but when he gets it, he gets it. It took him until being traded in his draft year to truly 'get it' in juniors. He didn't start to look good in the AHL until after the WJC. And it took him about 10 games in the SHL to put it together despite playing on one of the worst teams in the league.

He's a great skater, pretty good stickhandler and a pretty good shooter and passer. He's got a great work ethic. The foundational skills are all there to be a solid NHLer. I don't think he's got the hockey IQ to ever be an elite player but if he improves his attention to detail in the defensive zone I can see him having a Frans Nielsen ala NYI years or Filpulla type career.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

People were talking about Rasmussen as a third line winger and someone who could only be used on the powerplay to be useful coming into this season. Keep that in mind. Being a middle six jack of all trades center who can fill in at wing or up the lineup in a pinch, play in all situations, and can manage the full sheet of ice is a very valuable player. Even if he doesn't find more offense and he isn't everything we hoped of when he was picked 30th, he can be a cheap but useful player.

He's hardly done developing, regardless of how much experience he has compared to his peers, and he's a guy that I don't have much worry about doing what it takes to get better. I think he can be a good piece, but at this point you are right, he doesn't look like he's going to exceed expectations and be a cornerstone piece.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
The thing with Veleno is we don't that for sure yet. His learning curve has been slower but when he gets it, he gets it. It took him until being traded in his draft year to truly 'get it' in juniors. He didn't start to look good in the AHL until after the WJC. And it took him about 10 games in the SHL to put it together despite playing on one of the worst teams in the league.

He's a great skater, pretty good stickhandler and a pretty good shooter and passer. He's got a great work ethic. The foundational skills are all there to be a solid NHLer. I don't think he's got the hockey IQ to ever be an elite player but if he improves his attention to detail in the defensive zone I can see him having a Frans Nielsen ala NYI years or Filpulla type career.

You make a good point about him being a bit of a slow bloomer, which is fine. The fascinating thing for me is an exceptional status kid, he is further along experience wise than anyone else his age. With 2 years of pro experience and a good baseline skillset I’d like to see a little more but on the other hand, despite his experience, he is still quite young. Getting a top 6 player seems like a stretch but he has a history of plugging away steadily and then, with a snap of a finger, takes a big step. The question is when might we see that snap.

Im higher and always have been higher on Rasmussen but like both guys. I agree there should be some level of usefulness with both players but I do find the continuous discussion about defence with JV a little disconcerting as he isn’t projecting to be a big offensive guy at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'm guessing he makes his debut on Saturday, going on nothing more than a hunch. He was injured (concussion) on March 31st, which is 3 weeks ago, today. He gets some real pratices in and gets the nod on Saturday, in Detroit, playing wing on the 3rd line.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
A couple of line combos that would interest me:

Veleno - Ras - Vrana
Fabbri - Ras - Veleno
Bert - Ras - Veleno

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You make a good point about him being a bit of a slow bloomer, which is fine. The fascinating thing for me is an exceptional status kid, he is further along experience wise than anyone else his age. With 2 years of pro experience and a good baseline skillset I’d like to see a little more but on the other hand, despite his experience, he is still quite young. Getting a top 6 player seems like a stretch but he has a history of plugging away steadily and then, with a snap of a finger, takes a big step. The question is when might we see that snap.

Im higher and always have been higher on Rasmussen but like both guys. I agree there should be some level of usefulness with both players but I do find the continuous discuss about defence with JV a little disconcerting as he isn’t projecting to be a big offensive guy at this point.

His defense isn't bad, honestly. He was Team Canada's shut down center at the 2020 WJC and was phenomenal. It needed a ton of work in the AHL the first half of the year but got better as he went on. In Sweden he took big steps and played a very defensive role as a center over there. But with the discussion of him improving his defense even more I wonder if the intention is to turn him into a shut down guy like Darren Helm was.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I always come away really impressed with Veleno's skillset. He has a ton of skill combined with great skating and a high motor. Sometimes he makes these high end plays that leave me scratching my head lol. It hasn't translated to the score sheet yet but I can definitely see him developing into a really good center over time.

I think he can be a player in the mold of Mikael Backlund or something along those lines. My hope is he becomes more productive than that but who knows.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
My honest thoughts are we don't really know what we have in him. That said, I think based on the way the Wings talk about him, they see him higher than the people on the Wings board do. If he sucks defensively I don't think Horcoff or any of the Wings brass, are talking about him penalty killing someday at the NHL level. Also, he is still super young and has 1 year pro in the US and it isn't like Grand Rapids was some awesome team to play on. We need to relax on our hurry to either call people busts or get all down on them, and this is why rebuilding is not fun, because it takes more patience than any of us has. We all want everything now, and it just doesn't happen that way in real life.

No different than being patient with Zadina, as of course we all wish he was producing more points, but learning to play pro in the NHL is hard, otherwise top flight guys like Hughes, Kaakko and Lafreniere would be lighting it up right now.

OT - Saw the little clip from Hughes getting mad the other night, and all I could think was, man he looks like a little boy. He definitely needs to add mass or I don't think he will do well in the NHL, as he is so small.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan

I think you are underselling him offensively. He isn't the most skilled player out there but he is skilled enough that he doesn't look out of place next to skilled guys and is good at the boring stuff and can get Raymond/Zadina the puck. He is good in the corners, drives the net, and puts in rebounds.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Veleno will be able to gain the blueline with possession and settle down the play..
He doesn't have a ton of puck skill or eyes in the back of his head. But he plays a smart, fairly simple game.
He has above average speed. NHL size.
I can see a Brassard-like career.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

The problem with the learning curve argument is you can make that about a lot of AHL all stars. Many of them take a couple years to figure out the AHL game, but will score a heap of points, but the never get it at the NHL level, because unlike the CHL or the AHL there's no forgiveness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad