Recalled/Assigned: Joe Veleno recalled by the Wings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno will be able to gain the blueline with possession and settle down the play..
He doesn't have a ton of puck skill or eyes in the back of his head. But he plays a smart, fairly simple game.
He has above average speed. NHL size.
I can see a Brassard-like career.

No way he gets to nearly 30 goals or 60 points at his peak. I see a marginally better version of Helm.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No way? There is a way... you could say unlikely but not "no way"

There is nothing about his current trajectory or skill set that says he would peak that high. It's another over optimistic assessment that leads people to go apeshit when they realize this rebuild really is just starting.

Reactions: njx9

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Veleno has already shown he can score at a .5 ppg or better, with his first season in Grand Rapids that saw him basically scoreless for the first number of games, IIRC, as he adjusted to the faster/bigger league from Drumondville where he scored 40+ goals in his final season in the QMJHL. He also played top line minutes with Lafreniere and Delandrea on the 2020 WJC team, showing that he can play with elite talent while playing a full 200 foot game. I think, in a couple of years, we'll be talking about which of Larkin or Veleno is better for us, at #2 Center on our team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno has already shown he can score at a .5 ppg or better, with his first season in Grand Rapids that saw him basically scoreless for the first number of games, IIRC, as he adjusted to the faster/bigger league from Drumondville where he scored 40+ goals in his final season in the QMJHL. He also played top line minutes with Lafreniere and Delandrea on the 2020 WJC team, showing that he can play with elite talent while playing a full 200 foot game. I think, in a couple of years, we'll be talking about which of Larkin or Veleno is better for us, at #2 Center on our team.

No way Veleno eclipses Larkin.

So you’re saying... Helm with hands TM

More like a less dense stone ;)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Niederbach could be that guy, but I doubted Veleno could be better than Larkin though

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The problem with the learning curve argument is you can make that about a lot of AHL all stars. Many of them take a couple years to figure out the AHL game, but will score a heap of points, but the never get it at the NHL level, because unlike the CHL or the AHL there's no forgiveness.

Veleno's skating is also superior to a lot of those guys. He's going to make the NHL just on his skating alone.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Veleno's skating is also superior to a lot of those guys. He's going to make the NHL just on his skating alone.

Not really how that works. He's going to make the NHL right now on the back of the fact Detroit has no center depth. He will stick because he's got a skill set that will work on a 4th line. I don't see him growing from there to anything but an expendable 3rd line center.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not really how that works. He's going to make the NHL right now on the back of the fact Detroit has no center depth. He will stick because he's got a skill set that will work on a 4th line. I don't see him growing from there to anything but an expendable 3rd line center.
Let’s see how he does in the NHL before making grand proclamations like that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, Helm is a very good comparable. You also have to keep in mind that Helm had to break into the lineup on the best team in the league. Detroit is arguably the worst team in the league right now. So I think expecting Veleno to be a 4C is a very safe bet. Will he be more? There's really nothing to suggest that at this time.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
.5 ppg player in the AHL doesn't mean much, Helm was a > .5ppg player as is Svech and Erne. That's basically the bare minimum to be an NHL forward.

Before Helm's back injury, he was on his way to being a top tier 3C. I know we joke about it all the time, but I would never be upset with getting a "Helm with hands". I would be happy to take "Helm without back injury", that is a useful player on any team.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Yeah, Helm is a very good comparable. You also have to keep in mind that Helm had to break into the lineup on the best team in the league. Detroit is arguably the worst team in the league right now. So I think expecting Veleno to be a 4C is a very safe bet. Will he be more? There's really nothing to suggest that at this time.
There's a lot to suggest that he will be more than a 4C. His exceptional status, His 100+ point season in his D+1 year, WJC performance, his 20 year-old season in the AHL and his season in the SHL this year all suggest he will be more than a 4th liner. The Red Wings and Horcoff certainly seem to think he is more than a 4C. I wouldn't be super surprised if he became Detroit's 4th line center, but to say there is nothing to suggest he will be more than a 4th line center is straight up wrong.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The pessimistic takes on him are pretty hilarious to read. He came into the AHL a year early, and he didn't look lost and started producing later in the season. He went to a new country, with bigger rinks, with a different style of play and all new teammates, during the middle of a pandemic, and still did just fine. In fact, the people in the know are saying that he did more than just fine and he helped turn a struggling team around. Why are people shitting on him? Ok, he won't be Mackinnon, but he's not going to be just "a serviceable 3rd line center." When Darren Helm was Veleno's age last season (you know, when he played in the AHL and put up 23 in 54 and put a ppg in the WJC on the top line) he was still in the DUB putting up 64 points in 59 games and played in a depth role at the WJC where he had 2 whole points. How about we give the kid a chance to adapt and grow a little.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
during the last month or so of last seasons ahl veleno was coming on big time . hes a better puck carrier and more powerful skater that can bull thru dmen than helm is . he can hold onto the puck longer . he was starting to see the ice better and coming up with better passes also . nothing fantastic but respectable . can he continue to improve as a play maker plus get more shots who knows . but at the end of last season playing against rugged ahl competition he created the hope in my mind that he could become a 2C if flanked by talented wingers such as a raymond and zadina . but at minimum im betting he becomes a solid all around 3C scoring 40+ and being very good on the pk

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I feel like Veleno is the type that will kind of score and play the same at each level. I think he will serve well as a middle 6 for us

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
Anyone know where valeno fell on mckenzies scout survey predragt?
He was ranked #14.

Source: Elite Prospects / bottom of the page under Player Biography and Trivia:
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #10 by ISS Hockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #14 by FCHockey
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #10 by McKeen's Hockey

2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #14 by TSN/McKenzie
2018 NHL Entry Draft: Ranked #8 by NHL Central Scouting

Edit: Pre-draft year. Reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmChairGM89

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone know where valeno fell on mckenzies scout survey predragt?

He was ranked #14.

Source: Elite Prospects / bottom of the page under Player Biography and Triva.

Preseason he was ranked #5. I don’t know if this is what you meant or if you meant his final ranking

The Year of Swedish Defencemen

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
He was ranked #14.

Source: Elite Prospects / bottom of the page under Player Biography and Trivia:

Edit: Pre-draft year. Reading comprehension failure on my part. Sorry.
no this is what I meant my mistake.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad