Speculation: Joe Thornton

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
It isn't realistic at all. Every NHL club will inquire about Tavares.

But not every team has the cap space, the reputation for making the playoffs every season without fail, a core piece at every position except 1C, plays in a desirable place to live, has a low-key media, etc. In Thornton’s absence the past two months, the Sharks have showed that they can win without him. The Sharks are a good team without a 1C. Tavares could be the piece that turns them into a contender.

Obviously the likelihood of Tavares signing anywhere but with the Isles is small, but the Sharks are one of only a couple teams that I think have a real shot. St. Louis is the other obvious candidate.

I know what you said. I just see a lot of fan bases fantasizing about signing him, including my fanbase. Even if Tavares is interested in your team(any team), man will that contract be insane. The kind of contract that could be a back breaker in a few years. It's tough to find a 7-8 year contract that was signed at his age that was a homerun.

Tavares will be 34 when a seven year deal will be up. That’s not particularly old, to be honest. Joe Thornton had a Hart-caliber season at age 37. I see no reason why Tavares can’t be a star through age 34.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know what you said. I just see a lot of fan bases fantasizing about signing him, including my fanbase. Even if Tavares is interested in your team(any team), man will that contract be insane. The kind of contract that could be a back breaker in a few years. It's tough to find a 7-8 year contract that was signed at his age that was a homerun.
If we win a cup with Tavares then I don’t really care how bad his contract is in a few years.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Why are so many people, so quick to dismiss the idea of Thornton coming to Toronto? I think if Toronto adds another top 4 defender, it would be quite a viable option for him. Furthermore, Marleau came to Toronto from San Jose, why would it not be a similar case with Thornton?

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Why are so many people, so quick to dismiss the idea of Thornton coming to Toronto? I think if Toronto adds another top 4 defender, it would be quite a viable option for him. Furthermore, Marleau came to Toronto from San Jose, why would it not be a similar case with Thornton?
Because he has no interest?

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Because Thornton will be 55 by the time he gets done chopping off his beard to adhere to Lou's clean shaven policy.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I actually thought Lindros was decent for the Leafs, his health just didn't hold up. That could happen to Thornton. But, it's well worth the risk on a 1 year deal, like it was for Lindros then.

Reactions: iSophagus

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
To me, Thornton to Toronto just feels like Lindros all over again.
those kinds of signings are a coin flip. He doesn't have Lindros's red flags as Thornton is still an effective NHL'er rather than a reclamation project, so the bet is on how long until the noticeable decline starts rather than if he can come back

from Toronto's perspective this could be a good gamble if he's willing, make a 1yr contract singing bonus heavy and if he's bad then maybe he just retires mid season and all we're out is cap space for one year. If he's good, Matthews-Kadri-Thornton is probably better than we have today which is already pretty good

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Really depends on his health. He was pretty solid this year before his injury, but by the same token I’m not sure the Sharks need him back. We’ve honestly played pretty well without him. Pavelski in particular has been drastically better since Thornton went down, playing with a combo of Donskoi and Meier or Kane. It’s nice to see the Sharks can carry on without him.

It would not surprise me if he were out for the remainder of the season. There has been absolutely no updates on him in a month, no discussion of him by anyone covering the Sharks, and no timeline for when he’ll be back. Jumbo shocked us by coming back for the playoffs last season, maybe he will again this year. But that’s a **** injury for a 38 year old.
That's an overstatement.
Pavelski had a terrible start to the year, but was on fire for the large portion of games before Thornton went down. Over a PPG for the last month with Jumbo. His ice cold first 20 games of the season masks how well he turned it around with Jumbo.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Clearly headed to the Jets to center Laine.

100 assists. Stanley Cup. Rides off into the sunset.

:sarcasm: if it wasn't obvious.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
Im calling fake news on that
Like I care. Yes, as a Flames fan growing up in St Thomas I totally picked a division rival's star player to know out of all the players in the NHL, makes sense. Call fake news if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that Joe Thornton has ZERO interest in playing for the Leafs. For the record he would never play for the Flames either. He will either sign with SJ, possibly sign with one of the other California teams, or call it a career. Would Joe like to hoist the Cup before his career is over? All players would but some players value where they have laid down their roots more and Joe is one of those players.

Reactions: Iron Mosher

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Like I care. Yes, as a Flames fan growing up in St Thomas I totally picked a division rival's star player to know out of all the players in the NHL, makes sense. Call fake news if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that Joe Thornton has ZERO interest in playing for the Leafs. For the record he would never play for the Flames either. He will either sign with SJ, possibly sign with one of the other California teams, or call it a career. Would Joe like to hoist the Cup before his career is over? All players would but some players value where they have laid down their roots more and Joe is one of those players.
it's why L.A. was hard after him. He gets to stay in California and still gets to surf with his buddies on his days off. Rob Blake, Nelson Emerson, Glen Murray and Sean O'Donnell all regularly go together. I'm sure they'd welcome Joe in with them no problem.

brokenwolf88

Nov 27, 2017
I've heard the same thing. I used to work with Joe's aunt and she swore he would never leave San Jose.

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I see him re-signing with the sharks or with an outside possibility in LA. He has lots of friends in the kings organization. That or retirement. I really don't see him having an interest in leaving California

Reactions: Flamesjustwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad